Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You can't get rid of BlinkFeed entirely. You can deselect all fields which will make your BlinkFeed bare. Also, it must be one of your home screens.

This isn't a huge deal but I deem it a mistake by HTC. I gather that BlinkFeed by default will be your home screen. You'll have to make the necessary changes to make the feed empty and to remove it as your main home screen. (However it's still one of your screens.)

I see two issues here. The biggest one being that people will walk into a store, not like BlinkFeed, perhaps not realize or ask a sales rep if it can be removed, and will not purchase the One for this reason alone. Two, not being able to remove it entirely from your home screens is a huge mistake by HTC.

Instead they should have made it one of your home screens by default, not the main one, and allowed the option to disable it entirely from your screens.

Whoa what? You can't disable it? That's silly.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Agreed. Very bad move by HTC, if true. I guess they partnered with all those content providers and part of the deal was probably to ensure that people will access their content.

If Samsung can knock it out of the park with the S4, many will quickly forget Blinkfeed and the HTC One. TouchWiz is adored now, don't y'all know.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Just saw a video of 4.2 for the SGS3. Awesome lockscreen widgets plus even better notification panel.

No need for HTC One or SGS4 for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Agreed. Very bad move by HTC, if true. I guess they partnered with all those content providers and part of the deal was probably to ensure that people will access their content.

If Samsung can knock it out of the park with the S4, many will quickly forget Blinkfeed and the HTC One. TouchWiz is adored now, don't y'all know.

But you can just enable the normal tradional home screen as the default main screen so you will never have to use blinkfeed if you don't want to. But as Blinkfeed is its new key differentiator this year - I can understand why initially they want to funnel people to it.

----------

Looks like a Blackberry Z10 and an iPhone mashed together.

Which isn't a bad thing....

The silver model is also very MacBook Pro like in Apple design ethos.

Last edited:

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
But you can just enable the normal tradional home screen as the default main screen so you will never have to use blinkered if you don't want to. But as Blinkfeed is its new key differentiator this year - I can understand why initially they want to funnel people to it.

----------

Which isn't a bad thing....

The silver model is also very MacBook Pro like in Apple design ethos.

Yeah that curved aluminum back was what I wanted the iphone 5 to look like. HTC got it right with the build and look of the phone.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Another site compares the One, S3 and iphone5 and claims One's superiority
http://www.01net.com/editorial/5873...-du-htc-one-face-a-liphone-5-et-au-galaxy-s3/ :D

That's one impressive camera!:
Good_zps95c5301a.jpg
[/IMG]

:p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
indeed :D
Image © Bruno Cormier
HTC One - ISO 1057

[url=http://www.01net.com/imgv6/structure/ico_loupe.gif]Imageagrandir la photo[/URL]

Image © Bruno Cormier
Apple iPhone 5 - ISO 800

[url=http://www.01net.com/imgv6/structure/ico_loupe.gif]Imageagrandir la photo[/URL]

Image © Bruno Cormier
Samsung Galaxy SIII - ISO 1800

I'm glad to see that at least it can do something well. :p

While it may have fallen well short of the proclaimed "Flawless Victory", at least it didn't nave to suffer a "100% Humiliating Defeat".

Seriously - I actually would have liked to see a cellphone camera come along that solidly thumps the iPhone -- I like to see things advance. This one doesn't seem to really do that.

There's only so much you can do with the tiny sensor and optic's dimensions you can fit into these devices. I hope there's still significant room to advance, but for the most part right now, gains in one aspect of capabilities come at the expense of other capabilities. It looks like the HTC One's low light capabilities come at the expense of "normal" light resolution.

Personally, I think a variety of options is a good thing. A camera that's at it's best in dimly lit rooms and dark alleyways could serve a lot of people very well -- I mean, winos. hookers and drug dealers deserve to take their snapshots too .... Right? :p

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The only problem with HTCs camera strategy is that consumers will see 4MP, and pass every time. Megapixels don't matter, but to consumers they do. 13MP to the uneducated is greater than 4MP.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The only problem with HTCs camera strategy is that consumers will see 4MP, and pass every time. Megapixels don't matter, but to consumers they do. 13MP to the uneducated is greater than 4MP.

That's where they will need to utilize clever and informative marketing to educate the consumer.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
The one big thing that makes this phone very interesting for me is the built in IR-transmitter.

I'll never understand why this feature disappeared from more or less all cell phones around the time the first iPhone arrived.

I used my phone a lot back in the day to control my AC, TV, DVD-player and surround system/hi-fi and more via IR. Today I have to use a handful of remotes to do the same things.

THE killer app for this phone will no doubt be a great programmable remote control app IMO. In fact I hope HTC supplies one for free pre-installed, because it is something highly useful that will set the phone apart from all others.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The one big thing that makes this phone very interesting for me is the built in IR-transmitter.

I'll never understand why this feature disappeared from more or less all cell phones around the time the first iPhone arrived.

I used my phone a lot back in the day to control my AC, TV, DVD-player and surround system/hi-fi and more via IR. Today I have to use a handful of remotes to do the same things.

THE killer app for this phone will no doubt be a great programmable remote control app IMO. In fact I hope HTC supplies one for free pre-installed, because it is something highly useful that will set the phone apart from all others.

Agreed. The IR remote feature was something I used often with every PDA I owned, and a couple Windows Mobile smartphones. I never understood why that feature disappeared, as it was extremely convenient.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I read that HTC and Apple had a license agreement a few months ago. That's why HTC's sync manager will update your phone with your iphone backups. Apparently it will sync your iTunes music too? I'm now officially sold on the phone!

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

Actually, megapixels do matter ... just not as much as other factors such as sensor size and optics. That's why some people carry around a heavy backpack filled with DSLR gear -- it provides much better capabilities and image quality than their compact pocket camera. And their compact camera is much better than any phone camera. Plenty of people know very well how these things work.

The HTC camera looks like it works much better than other phone cameras in low light - which is a good thing, because they are very poor at this - but isn't as good as some other phone cameras (such as tie iPhone 5) in other situations. What's the point of pretending this isn't true, or isn't important?

gto"s blind fanboy hyperbole doesn't help anyone.

prfrma

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I own a MBPr, 4mp isn't even enough for a decent wallpaper. It should have been 6mp minimum.

That said, whether I get this or not depends soley on the battery, as a HTC One X user, I sorely miss having 6-8 hours of screen time on my old iPhone 4.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Anyone have any unsubsidized pricing information on the One? The thing looks awesome and I'm coveting it...unfortunately, I just got a Nexus 4 (which will make another phone hard to justify to the wife) and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until September.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Anyone have any unsubsidized pricing information on the One? The thing looks awesome and I'm coveting it...unfortunately, I just got a Nexus 4 (which will make another phone hard to justify to the wife) and I'm not eligible for an upgrade until September.

It's not quite on pre order yet in the UK, my carrier O2 say it will PO in March, it is a good looking phone with lots of features isn't it, Ive not had an HTC before but will be looking at this in the shop when it arrives.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

€600 on Clove.co.uk and Expansys so (£500-510)...

I have pre-ordered with expansys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.