Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Long press on the GIF and select "Save image" then it saves it to the gallery. Then to post it you can use an app like Tapatalk.

Random one I just found on the net:

View attachment 398781

Same for saving things like photos in email. I don't have a video in an email to test like was stated a few posts up, but I suspect that would work too.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Same for saving things like photos in email. I don't have a video in an email to test like was stated a few posts up, but I suspect that would work too.

^^ No idea why that isn't animated; the source GIF was.

iPhone gallery doesn't show animated GIFs, but it does save the GIF in all its' glory because I have a GIF creator/viewer and that DOES show it animated. I guess either Tapatalk or the forum stops the animation somehow.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Long press on the GIF and select "Save image" then it saves it to the gallery. Then to post it you can use an app like Tapatalk.

Random one I just found on the net:

View attachment 398781

I believe Tapatalk doesn't show gifs and furthermore the forum I frequent isn't compatible.

With Android I can simply save it to my Downloads folder from the Web, then open up another page and upload it to my post, while still being able to view the animation as its meant to be on the Web. What equivalent does ios have for so simple a task?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I believe Tapatalk doesn't show gifs and furthermore the forum I frequent isn't compatible.

With Android I can simply save it to my Downloads folder from the Web, then open up another page and upload it to my post, while still being able to view the animation as its meant to be on the Web. What equivalent does ios have for so simple a task?

DropBox stops the animation too.

I have no idea! I guess it would be pretty easy if I could find a service which doesn't remove the animation :p

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I Still don't know why the current focus on this thread has turned into an ios/ android debate. We are supposed to be talking about the HTC One device.

Cnet-Asia has posted a shoot out between the iphone and the One. I know the Software is not final but it's giving me pause. I'm surprised with the lack of detail. Color accuracy and low light captures seem to be good though.

http://asia.cnet.com/htc-one-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout-62220556.htm

According to Dieter Bohn on the most recent Vergecast, the HTC One performed better in low light than the Nokia 920!:eek:

----------

Now say I emailed you an audio file, anyway you could download that for offline viewing?

Yes, download and install "FileApp" from the app store. Then download the audio file in your email and long press the file, then select "FileApp" and it will send the file to that app.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
UmpOi.gif

Oh, and look, here is an animated gif. posted from my iPhone.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Now say I emailed you an audio file, anyway you could download that for offline viewing?

I never tried it before, but I just emailed myself an audio file, and I have 18 apps that it will open in on my iPad. I don't consider that overly restrictive :D.

I just did a video file too and that opens into 21 apps ...

Where did you get the idea that it couldn't be done?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I never tried it before, but I just emailed myself an audio file, and I have 18 apps that it will open in on my iPad. I don't consider that overly restrictive :D.

I just did a video file too and that opens into 21 apps ...

Where did you get the idea that it couldn't be done?

Whenever I had my iPhone, if I pressed on an audio or video file it would just open and play in the email app. That was it.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Whenever I had my iPhone, if I pressed on an audio or video file it would just open and play in the email app. That was it.

If you tap and hold a menu pops up allowing you to open it in what ever app you want that's compatible.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Never tried it on my iPhone 5, I thought it'd be the same as the picture gallery where it only allowed sharing via integrated apps.

Nope, apps can register as handlers for certain file types and you can choose to open files in those apps. For example, I can open a PDF file in Kindle or iBooks (or any other app that registers).

They should really extend that feature to images in the gallery.

Edit:

Here's a pic. I changed the exposure to block out some personal information, hence why it looks dark :p

beja2amy.jpg

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
You can't get rid of BlinkFeed entirely. You can deselect all fields which will make your BlinkFeed bare. Also, it must be one of your home screens.

This isn't a huge deal but I deem it a mistake by HTC. I gather that BlinkFeed by default will be your home screen. You'll have to make the necessary changes to make the feed empty and to remove it as your main home screen. (However it's still one of your screens.)

I see two issues here. The biggest one being that people will walk into a store, not like BlinkFeed, perhaps not realize or ask a sales rep if it can be removed, and will not purchase the One for this reason alone. Two, not being able to remove it entirely from your home screens is a huge mistake by HTC.

Instead they should have made it one of your home screens by default, not the main one, and allowed the option to disable it entirely from your screens.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Wow, that's a great looking phone! I'm blown away, Android finally made a phone look premium.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I just can't do another HTC after the HTC One X (which was supposed to flagship for a year and then was superseded by HTC One X+, butterfly J & Droid DNA) whilst software rollout for the HTC One X's Sense 4.1 was just excruciatingly painful and protracted with HTC not seemingly aware of it's arse from its elbow.

Global rollout meaning 1 territory ? come on...

Add battery life issues and a ton of bugs in my HTC 8X alongside the most awkward power button and my last two HTC phones have really turned me off them which is sad....

Then it's bad enough HTC makes faulty batteries, but when one isn't getting the life it should, you can't even switch the battery out with a good one

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Great as this phone looks, there are some obstacles that I worry about.

1) I don't trust HTC and their battery capacity/management.
2) I hate HTC's power button placement. It's like they're making it intentionally hard to reach.
3) Galaxy S4 -- At this point and time, with the S4 releasing closely behind the HTC One, I'd have to wait to see what the S4 brings before making any considerations.

And I guess a distant 4th would be the wildcard known as the Googorola X... (the supposed "game changer" :rolleyes:)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Great as this phone looks, there are some obstacles that I worry about.

1) I don't trust HTC and their battery capacity/management.
2) I hate HTC's power button placement. It's like they're making it intentionally hard to reach.
3) Galaxy S4 -- At this point and time, with the S4 releasing closely behind the HTC One, I'd have to wait to see what the S4 brings before making any considerations.

And I guess a distant 4th would be the wildcard known as the Googorola X... (the supposed "game changer" :rolleyes:)

This needs to be repeated.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The more I see this phone, the more I like it. It's one of the nicest looking phones I've seen. I just can't see myself ever buying one though. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.