Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I bought an iPhone 5 in Jan, but had it stolen from me a few days ago. I really want to buy another iphone, but with all the rumours pointing to a June release I'm confused as to whether I should wait a few more months for the next one.

How much probable is it for Apple to launch it in June rather than the usual sep/Oct?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
iPhone 5S will probably come out in June.

With all the rumors circulating about an early release plus Galaxy S IV is coming in April.

Apple would be dumb not to release the new iPhone as soon as they can.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
It depends. What's your fall back phone? If there is a June release then all it would be is a bump in processor and camera

My fall back phones are a fall back in time -- a Nokia X1 and a LG Optimus One P500. (need both because of battery issues with the LG).

iPhone 5S will probably come out in June.

With all the rumors circulating about an early release plus Galaxy S IV is coming in April.

Apple would be dumb not to release the new iPhone as soon as they can.

Considering the iPhone comes out in June, how long before unlocked devices are available? I live in India and I can't use a locked one from the US..

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Hi, guys, I am new to this forums.
In my eyes, If you have enough money, you can now get the iPhone 5. And when the iPhone 5s released, You can update your iPhone 5 to iphone 5s or iphone 6. Or you can sell the iphone 5 at ebay and then get the new iphone.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I say buy the first number, and never the "s" version.
So go;
iPhone;
3G
skip 3GS
then 4,
Skip 4S
then 5
Skip 5S and so on :3

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Just the Opposite...

Buy the 5S version since it may have some of the fixes for the issues the 5 had/has

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
If you need a phone, get one now.

I just upgraded to the 5 from a 4... Despite the fact the 5S will likely be here this summer. If you need a phone, get the best that's on the market when you're looking. It's not like it won't be useful in six months simply because there's something newer.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
If one waited for what's new out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all !

However, if its just a few short months around the corner, I would not get one now and possibly miss out on perhaps some new improvements no matter how minor. If it were lets say 8 months out or longer, than I would get one now. If you have a phone that is working just fine now, I would wait it out. ;)

MushroomTip24

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
OC, CA
IMO buy now. Usually the "s" is only a minor upgrade in specs such as a better camera and processor which is not as important to me. But if it is for you then go ahead and wait. You can always sell later if a new one comes out and you would still get a good value on it.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
If you can wait, then get the 5S, but as it's been said already, it's not going to be anything special. Realistically the iPhone 5 is an incredible well built piece of tech and I can't see apple making it anymore remarkable.

I think they'll put the A6X in it, maybe upgrade the camera and maybe make it available in more colors,that's it. I would get get the iPhone 5, you wouldn't miss out on much and you can get it now.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Since it was stolen, are you getting covered by your insurance, if not are you using your last upgrade or is this a full retail situation? That could make a bigger impact on your decision. Plus if you were happy with the iP5 and were not planning on getting the iP5S or whatever it will be called then I would say get the current model.

For me my upgrades are not until early April, so given a possible June release I am waiting, I mean why not. If its looking to be September then I may be swayed but not sure. I am hoping Apple's crap quality control gets better and more under control on the next phone.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I guess I'll wait for 3 more months and get the next one.

----------

Since it was stolen, are you getting covered by your insurance, if not are you using your last upgrade or is this a full retail situation? That could make a bigger impact on your decision. Plus if you were happy with the iP5 and were not planning on getting the iP5S or whatever it will be called then I would say get the current model.

For me my upgrades are not until early April, so given a possible June release I am waiting, I mean why not. If its looking to be September then I may be swayed but not sure. I am hoping Apple's crap quality control gets better and more under control on the next phone.

Nope, didn't get time to get insurance on it :( it was a full retail purchase and i had it for less than two weeks.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Ouch, and I am sorry you didn't have insurance on it. Did you try find my iphone to locate it. Still sux.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Ouch, and I am sorry you didn't have insurance on it. Did you try find my iphone to locate it. Still sux.

Tried find my iPhone, but the phone remains offline. Probably they've reset it by now.

Apple needs to integrate find my iphone with the imei and not just the apple id.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.