Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
You guys realiseyou dont have to use it as a phone if you dont want to? Dont know why people criticise it if you dont like it, just dont buy it. For me the bezel is too big and screen not good enough but I have a note 2 and love it so im sure alot of people will buy it and enjoy it.

----------

Whats the difference between ipad mini ui and iphone ui? What is it missing? Not sure what else you want on a tablet ui when the note 2 ui works well its just a couple inches bigger
I'm not saying the iPad is any better.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And why not? That doesn't mean they're suggesting that anyone should hold it up to their ear. There are times when I sure wouldn't mind it if I could make a call straight from my iPad, using my earbuds with mic to speak.

But they ARE suggesting you hold it to your head, they places an earphone at the top for that! That's what's so funny and no one understands why? Sure plug a headset in or use bluetooth, but why would you make a 8" tablet designed like a giant mobile phone with a earphone at the top and microphone at the bottom or wherever it is?

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Those who would rather carry just a tablet than a tablet and a phone. :cool:

And who is that? Eric Schmidt?

----------

And why not? That doesn't mean they're suggesting that anyone should hold it up to their ear. There are times when I sure wouldn't mind it if I could make a call straight from my iPad, using my earbuds with mic to speak.

Who's stopping you? There have been Facetime and Skype apps for years that allow you to do just that.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
But they ARE suggesting you hold it to your head, they places an earphone at the top for that! That's what's so funny and no one understands? Sure plug a headset in or use bluetooth, but why would you make a 8" tablet designed like a giant mobile phone with a earphone at the top and microphone at the bottom or wherever it is?
...... for that matter I already use my "normal" phone as a speaker phone most of the time so I can keep using my iPad to surf :D.

----------

Who's stopping you? There have been Facetime and Skype apps for years that allow you to do just that.
I really like to be able to receive phone calls when someone just DIALS my number :D.

You seem to be trying awfully hard to get me assimilated into the collective Apple :eek:.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That Bezel is just plain ugly imo, maybe if it was a different color I'd not notice it so much but I'm not really liking it

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I felt like a genuine d-bag when I held an iPad Mini 4G up to my ear while answering a call on talkatone.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I felt like a genuine d-bag when I held an iPad Mini 4G up to my ear while answering a call on talkatone.

Why on earth did you hold it up to your ear?

I consider my iPad3 to be my primary phone. I never hold it up tony ear -- there's no point -- it's a great speaker phone.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
It's an 8-inch phone.

AN 8 INCH PHONE.

8. INCH. PHONE.

No. It's an 8-inch table with phone capabilities.

Which is an excellent idea. When I bring my tablet somewhere today I always have to bring my phone as well. Having the ability to use the tablet as a phone would make me leave the phone home most of the time.

I'm amazed at the amount of people living in the stone age on this forum - I can't remember the last time I held my phone up to my ear to make a call, I always use my bluetooth-headset. Which is of course what I would do with a phone-enabled tablet as well.

----------

Pocket Lint managed to do a hands on review from the show here, and they state that Samsung ARE promoting the fact you can use the device as a phone! :eek::eek:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50061/hands-on-samsung-galaxy-note-8-review

Of course they are - it is a major selling point. I can assure you that the next tablet I buy will have phone capabilities included. That phone capabilites are not included in most tablets today should be more surprising to people than that devices like this appear.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
Samsung devices are really so ugly. And it is still made from cheap ass plastic. When is Samsung going to deliver an aluminium or glass construction?

Also there is nothing wrong with the fact it can act as a phone. I wish the Ipad Mini could be used as a phone.

Lastly, the screen of any new phone, phablet or tablet released nowadays should be at least retina level.

In short:

Ugly design
Cheap plastic
Rubbish screen

= No Buy

Will Samsung get their act together with the S4 and tablet 3. Samsung tablets and in fact all Android tablet to date are just terrible but hardware and software wise.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Which is an excellent idea. When I bring my tablet somewhere today I always have to bring my phone as well. Having the ability to use the tablet as a phone would make me leave the phone home most of the time.

I'm amazed at the amount of people living in the stone age on this forum - I can't remember the last time I held my phone up to my ear to make a call, I always use my bluetooth-headset. Which is of course what I would do with a phone-enabled tablet as well.

----------

Of course they are - it is a major selling point. I can assure you that the next tablet I buy will have phone capabilities included. That phone capabilites are not included in most tablets today should be more surprising to people than that devices like this appear.

This! I do not want to carry my phone and tablet all the time and I do not want to have to pay for data on both. I use the data services FAR more than I use the phone part of my phone, so this makes sense for those carrying both devices today.

I also use a BT headset almost everyday, so again, I would not be holding up to my ear when I needed to make a call....and even if I did, is that THAT much more stupid than a crowd of people holding 10 inch iPads in front of thier faces taking pictures?????

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

----------

Tablet with phone capabilities.
It's an 8-inch phone.

You're reinforcing my point. Also, no, we're not living in the stone age, mainly because we actually have sense. Tell me, where are you going to store this while on the go? How is this going to be convenient in situations where a phone easily fits the situation much better? Not to mention that its running Android which is horrible on tablets (AAA+ for phones, but garbage on tablets).

It tries to build on top the Galaxy Note which is so much more convenient than this...this...weird whatever it is.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Put an earpiece and a handle on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the ATIV 700T and get it over with.

It's only a matter of time until we see the first dude holding a 15" laptop to his ear, just because Samsung never got the memo that somebody came up with the 'earbuds with a microphone' idea and it's ready to be copied.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Every 5"+ device that comes out someone always has to post a picture how ridiculous it looks over the ear. It's getting old and honestly childish.

I rarely use and see other hold it up with majority Text and use Bluetooth or post on facebook or twitter.

As for the tablet, I'm disappointed I will stick with my Note 2 and get the iPad mini Retina.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
It's an 8-inch phone.

Tell me, where are you going to store this while on the go? How is this going to be convenient in situations where a phone easily fits the situation much better?
I am going to store it wherever I store a tablet on the go - just as I do when I go somewhere with a tablet today.

The difference will be that I won't have to bring my phone as well when I carry the tablet.

Personally I find it laughable that people think it is a great thing when some manufacturers intentionally cripple functionality that won't cost them a dime to add. An obvious example closely related to to the Note 8" being the cellular version of the iPad mini, which has every piece of hardware in place to use it as a phone - except that actual phone functionality is removed from OS.

PS: This is not the first Samsung tablet with phone functionality, already back in 2010 you could call with the first Galaxy Tab.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm honestly hoping the Note 3 will be the 6.3 inch as rumors suggest. That would be my phablet replacement.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seeing as I'm only buying a wifi version it's the best tablet for me

Samsung are giving you options which is great. Unlike apple who all they do is restrict you.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Personally I find it laughable that people think it is a great thing when some manufacturers intentionally cripple functionality that won't cost them a dime to add.
Thank you, this sentence alone sums up the OMGZLOL ITS A HUGE PHONE discussion quite well.

As far as functionality goes, that is. Design-wise I'm quite put off by the bloated Note 2-look. In theory I would actually jump on this device as I love the S-Pen, especially on a mid-size tablet like this, but I just don't know if I can buy a gadget this ugly.

Really hoping Samsung sets out in a new and more polished design direction with the S4, with the Note 3 following suit. And maybe next year a Note 8 that doesn't look like something you'd see on a table next to the crayons at a kindergarten, or in someones box of bathtub-toys. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How so? I've seen this mentioned before but don't understand it. Why is Android good for phones but bad for tablets?

Because applications are rarely ever optimised for a 'tablet' experience, and are just phone applications - over stretched....

Unlike iOS where even universal applications have almost different layouts and features depending on whether your on an iPad or iPhone.

Whereas on android basically its the phone layout - regardless (though there are some exceptions, but not too many)....

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
How so? I've seen this mentioned before but don't understand it. Why is Android good for phones but bad for tablets?

Apps and system management. Compared to the amount of apps you have on the iPad that are specifically designed for tablets (300,000+) compared to Android, it's laughablly small.

Literally the Android Facebook app is nothing more than the standard app stretched to fill the screen. There's nearly 0% optimization.

It's even worse on the 7 and 8 inch tablets because they don't even get the tablet version of the OS, they just get a really awkward combination of the Phone OS with a few apps supporting the screen.

NOT only that, major fragmentation between what devices run which apps. It's a really bad experience. Tablets should be left to Apple and Microsoft. Android is probably the best OS for Phones (although personally I don't like it, it's an amazing Phone OS I'm not going to deny that), but the tablet experience is the lowest quality. Why do you think a majority of web traffic is from iPads? People know that Android for Tablets sucks. Tech people, anyways.

I am going to store it wherever I store a tablet on the go - just as I do when I go somewhere with a tablet today.

The difference will be that I won't have to bring my phone as well when I carry the tablet.

Personally I find it laughable that people think it is a great thing when some manufacturers intentionally cripple functionality that won't cost them a dime to add. An obvious example closely related to to the Note 8" being the cellular version of the iPad mini, which has every piece of hardware in place to use it as a phone - except that actual phone functionality is removed from OS.

PS: This is not the first Samsung tablet with phone functionality, already back in 2010 you could call with the first Galaxy Tab.

Unless you're carrying a big bag everywhere with you or you have the world's largest pockets, I still don't see how there is any connivence with this at all.

There are so many times where pulling out a phone is much more appropriate than a tablet. Secondly, unless you have some serious job, why take your tablet everywhere you go?

This also limits educational use. if we start putting phones in tablets, more and more schools are going to prohibit people bringing tablets. Some schools that allow tablets already ban 3G tablets and only let students use Wifi tablets.

It's not a good idea. Rather than shoving a phone into a tablet, Samsung (and Apple and just about every maker) should follow ASUS and make PadPhones or do what motorola did and include some kind of Webtop service (albeit more OPEN; Like Ubuntu for Phones) That's such a better idea than having a dang tablet everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.