Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Hi,
My wife's iPhone 4s has had the headphone water sensor triggered. As she works in a kitchen it is suspected that this may have been damaged by steam.

The phone works fine except every now and then it decides to reboot itself so I'm looking at using the out of warranty replacement scheme.

The iPhone still has extended warranty until December. Will the warranty be transferred to the replacement or will I only get the standard 3 months warranty?

Thanks in advance for any replied received.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Which country is this in?

If it's the US, then a 4S should have AppleCare+, meaning you have two "out of warranty" damage replacements for $50. AppleCare+ will continue on your replacement phone, and you'll have regular warranty plus one remaining out of warranty $50 replacement left until December.

Outside of the US, I have no idea.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I'm in the UK so we don't have AppleCare+.

I'm ok with paying the OOW fee just I would like the warranty to be transferred.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
When you trigger the water sensor you have voided the original warranty. :mad:
The replacement is covered for 90 days.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
When you trigger the water sensor you have voided the original warranty. :mad:
The replacement is covered for 90 days.

Not sure about that according to this page you get the entire warranty of the original phone:
Apple said:
Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Hi,
My wife's iPhone 4s has had the headphone water sensor triggered. As she works in a kitchen it is suspected that this may have been damaged by steam.

The phone works fine except every now and then it decides to reboot itself so I'm looking at using the out of warranty replacement scheme.

The iPhone still has extended warranty until December. Will the warranty be transferred to the replacement or will I only get the standard 3 months warranty?

£ 146.44 is the cost of a replacement. you make an appointment with an apple genius at:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail

Visit the genius bar, explain the problem and they will offer to exchange your handset for a remanufactured iphone 4s at a cost of: £146.44

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Finally some common sense in this thread.
The iphone is out of warranty cause of tripped moist sensors but somehow the OP wants the replacement to keep the warranty from the previous out of warranty iphone.
Lol alrighty then:D

Exactly. Voided means the warranty no longer exists.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Hi,

Ignore the people here. If the original has extended e.g. more than 90 days that will get transferred to the replacement as above in the terms of conditions of the handset. I don't even know where that £146.44 figure is from its £139.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Exactly. Voided means the warranty no longer exists.

My wife dropped her iPhone 4S in the sink, and it had extended warranty (not AppleCare +). We went to the Apple store, paid the $200 OOW replacement, and got a new phone. The genius transferred the old warranty to the new phone without us even asking.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

It was not a stupid question as some made it out to be. The phone has 9 month AppleCare on it and just wanted to know if Apple replace the phone via OOW then will the warranty be transferred or not otherwise I would have claimed back the unused warranty.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.