Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am not taking sides here, but the Bible is fascinating either way. More predictions have come true than Natradamis. Archeological finds have also supported many many entries that are in that book. Intelligent Design is also very interesting. If you enjoy researching this type of thing, you might find it interesting.

Agreed. Opening one's mind to the concept of intelligent design and a "God" figure doesn't mean that one puts down scientific discovery.

My best science teachers were all religions, and my college biology teacher spent all too much time explaining how biology and intelligent design helped her accept Christianity.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The US Constitution says:

Therefore, if one state allows it, ALL citizen in ALL states should have that privilege.

No, that just means that if a state grants its own citizens privileges they can't deny the same to citizens of other states.

Yeah, right. Just like a concealed carry permit issued by one state should be recognized by all others. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Good point. People on both the left and the right sides of the political spectrum selectively support federalism. Ostensibly, those on the right are more supportive, but are much less so supportive on social issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage, which they want to ban on a national level. Those on the left tend to be skeptical of federalism, except on issues such as same-sex marriage and gun control that they know would be much less likely to achieve majority support at a national level.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
On the other hand, slavery in those times leading up to the African slave trade, was no where near as barbaric and racially stirred. Whites in American, religious or not, looked at African slaves as sub-human. Even African tribes that enslaved other tribes knew they people they were hurting where the same as them.

The Catholic church is still predominantly a European entity, so the point really still stands.

Last note, it was the black church that many slaves found homage, and the black church that supported the early Civil Rights movement. Religion is a tool, the people make of it what they will.

Considering the bible directly gives mandate for slavery and genocide, one must conclude that the humanistic morals and ethics of those religious activists shone through that of their religious dogma; essentially, a beneficial form of cognitive dissonance. They weren't decent because of their religious disposition.

Religion is a tool of control, nothing more; an attempt to focus power through an authoritarian mindset by those who could not possibly know what they claim to, and it shows in its writings.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I am not taking sides here, but the Bible is fascinating either way. More predictions have come true than Natradamis. Archeological finds have also supported many many entries that are in that book. Intelligent Design is also very interesting. If you enjoy researching this type of thing, you might find it interesting.

Which predictions have come true? From a massive book full of stories, it wouldn't be surprising if you can find coincidences between them and real events, anyway.
Which archeological facts support stories from the bible? (And regardless, if they did, it doesn't make everything written there true).
And honestly the true creation of the earth and life, the process of evolution, is far more interesting than "A powerful entity created everything".

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Apple has now been on both sides of this debate depending on the sexual orientation of the CEO.

JUST CALL IT SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

No they haven't. Apple supported same sex marriage under Steve Jobs and donated to the anti-Prop 8 campaign. Where do you get your info? And no, it will not be called something different just to pander to you.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
You people have had that same "feeling" for that past 2000 years. Guess what? It didn't happen and it won't.

It's funny how all his apparitions happened in a time when it couldn't be recorded or taped.

But I'm sure religious people will invent some argument for that, as they do with everything else. Maybe God doesn't want to appear now a days because he wants people to find him through "faith", not watching him on videos. Sounds good.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, they are. Maybe not by criminal court but by civil court. Also, please stop using that highly inaccurate term, or at least recognize that "homophobic" is an inaccurate term. It's like calling a pedophile a "pedo". Yeah, a child .

What do u think the accurate term for "homophobic" is?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Religion is a tool of control, nothing more; an attempt to focus power through an authoritarian mindset by those who could not possibly know what they claim to, and it shows in its writings.

A simple read that neither supports your claims, or disproves my own.

Religion is a tool. Wether it's used for control or for freedom are up to the wielder.

Kimberly Winston: USATODAY said:
"So often you hear about religious people involved in the civil rights movement, and as well you should, but there were also humanists,"

Again, I am not the end all be all for activism and social issues in Baltimore City, I don't see too many white atheists (because I've seen black atheists helping churches)in soup kitchens. I do see far too many churches, mainly black Christians, Jews, and Asian Buddhists. Religion as a tool to set people free from their plights.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You're missing my point. I only oppose (a little) government recognition of gay marriage because gay rights organizations have that as their goal, and gay rights organizations try to force their beliefs on others.
Trying to get other people to see them as equals and enter a legal contract with the one they love, FOR SHAME!! Do you hear yourself? You're doing a really bad job covering up your true feelings.

If anyone famous says anything even remotely considered "homophobic" (extremely inaccurate term), they get sued.
Example please?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Funniest post ever. That bit about nostradamus! More predictions have come true from the bible than nostradamus. Ha! Nothing he said came true because no one can predict the future. So I guess if I Happen to guess who will win the next Super Bowl I'm doing better then him too! Oh god. You religious people never cease to amaze me. But please, answer the other poster's question. What did the bible predict? Name. One. Accurate. Prediction. And crap like someday a mean person will do bad things or two nations will fight don't count.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
No, this is pretty bad. The government shouldn't recognize the marriage of any kind of couple, heterosexual or homosexual. What makes you think they should? Separation of church and state...

Marriage is not a religious institution.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
The gay is good for business. It's an entire demographic of people that normally have a higher disposable income the than average married straight couple.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
For or against is not relevant here. This is a states right issue, and should remain at the state level.

How the hell is it a states rights issue when the federal government is actively involved in marriage? (And very well should be) Military spousal rights, immigration due to marriage, federal tax benefits, etc. Marriage is not a state issue, it's a classic example of a federal issue. SCOTUS made that clear in 1967.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Marriage is not a religious institution.

I would say that it is, but even if not, it's a social issue that the government should not deal with at all.

----------

What do u think the accurate term for "homophobic" is?

"Homosexualphobic" maybe, but I'm no Greek expert. Definitely not "homophobic".
homo = same
phobic = repulsed by or afraid of
hetero = different

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Same sex marriages are an extension of a sick society whereby people who have no interest in the future welbeing of the current generation of children, particularly young girls, put their own self centred, clueless political BS ahead of anything.

Same sex couples should obviously be allowed to form a civil union and have the same legal rights as a married couple, but it should not be called 'marriage' which has been reserved, and indeed was a natural product of humanity, for the union of a man and a woman.

I am currently publishing a complete new sexual philosophy for the 21st century which covers this topic in detail.

I'm happy to argue the point with anyone who can maintain a deductively logical line of reasoning devoid of ad hominem verbiage.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013

Well, it must not be working too well these days since I (and others) choose to believe in religion without being forced to.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Which predictions have come true? From a massive book full of stories, it wouldn't be surprising if you can find coincidences between them and real events, anyway.

Here are a few:

The Jewish people would be scattered worldwide; yet Israel would become a nation again-ref Isa 66:8; Mic 5:3. Occurred May 14, 1948.

There would be weapons that could destroy the world-Mk 13:20; Rev 6:8; Rev 9:18; Zech 14:8,12.

There would be an increase in earthquakes-Mt 24:2,3,7; Mk 13:8; Lk 21:11.

Which archeological facts support stories from the bible? (And regardless, if they did, it doesn't make everything written there true).

Found Chariots buried under the Red Sea.
Finding and excavating of Solomon's temple.
They have dug up the ancient city of Jericho and found that it perfectly matches the eyewitness account given in the biblical book of Joshua.

And honestly the true creation of the earth and life, the process of evolution, is far more interesting than "A powerful entity created everything".

Intelligent Design is based in Science.

See comments in line.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

He's probably referring to those specials that air on the History Channel with titles like "NOAH'S FLOOD: NEW EVIDENCE OF AN ANCIENT DISASTER?" In other words, "Ancient Aliens" level stuff..

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I would say that it is, but even if not, it's a social issue that the government should not deal with at all.

So if it's not a religious issue, and it's not a government issue, then who's supposed to issue a marriage license?

So you would advocate the government annulling all current hetero marriages, stripping them of their benefits, and saying they are no longer in the marriage business?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013

"Happened by random chance" doesn't sound very plausible to most people, sorry.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Same sex marriages are an extension of a sick society whereby people who have no interest in the future welbeing of the current generation of children, particularly young girls, put their own self centred, clueless political BS ahead of anything.

Same sex couples should obviously be allowed to form a civil union and have the same legal rights as a married couple, but it should not be called 'marriage' which has been reserved, and indeed was a natural product of humanity, for the union of a man and a woman.

I am currently publishing a complete new sexual philosophy for the 21st century which covers this topic in detail.

I'm happy to argue the point with anyone who can maintain a deductively logical line of reasoning devoid of ad hominem verbiage.

I don't totally agree with the underlined part.

You won't find the bold part here. Just folks pissed off with religion enough to make fighting for same sex marriage nothing more than their own crusade against someone else's beliefs.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
So if it's not a religious issue, and it's not a government issue, then who's supposed to issue a marriage license?

Society or the church. Two people can choose to get married (by their own definition) no matter what the government says about the legitimacy of the marriage. Religious people will go to the church. But I personally consider marriage a religious thing, not really social. People can have families and not be married.

----------

See comments in line.

Aw come on, those are all coincidences. You should instead cite the historical accuracy of the Bible (except in some parts where it's understandably iffy). In addition, the morals it teaches are healthy for society no matter what your religion is.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Because the government is meddling in something that it has no right to meddle in in the first place... who do you think makes your taxes!? The point you were just arguing against was that government shouldn't be in marriage. You cited one of the ways in which they currently are in marriage, and should be removed from it. I understand the concept that those caring for children deserve tax breaks, but I know childless couples who get marital tax breaks, too. What special circumstance about them says they deserve a break?

Why don't they have a right? Truth be told, I'm Canadian and gay marriage is legal here. It's pretty much a non-issue, as it should be.

And the fact is that marriage, despite what some people argue, is not simply a religious institution. It's a legal one. And that means the government is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.