Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
There's no way to argue for or against gay marriage itself. It just depends on the person. If someone wants to dictate to me that gay marriage is legit marriage, I will not accept that and will lose respect for that person for trying to force a personal belief, but that is a different issue from its legitimization under the law. For that, do whatever, but if you must ask me, the answer is NO because of what the gay rights groups do.

Aren't YOU trying to force your personal belief on me by being against gay marriage? You've got a very flawed argument, there. Especially considering that you continue to claim that you're against gay marriage because of what gay rights groups do. Shouldn't your opinion be based on, say, the merits of actual gay marriage rather than the behaviour of certain groups that advocate it? That's like saying you chose not to buy a car because you didn't like the commercial, despite the fact that the car, itself, is actually a very good car.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Every couple should have the LEGAL benefits of marriage if they chose so.

Marriage should be a religious thing left to the church.

I have a feeling this whole thing is just a war over word choice. What's the difference between marriage and a civil union if you have the same benefits? If you want to call it marriage, then call it marriage. So what!

It's not a war over words, it's a war over ideology. Gay rights supporters have no problem with the institution of marriage as it currently is, they just want it to be opened up to them because they had no choice in the matter. Opponents had no problem with the institution of marriage until this issue came up and then all of a sudden they say government should have no role in marriage. Funny, they had no problem with it when they walked down the aisle.

----------

I dont like my money that I've given Apple going towards ANY political hot topic or any political party.

They've done it in the past. Why didn't you stop giving them your money then? And while we're at it, let's rethink the word "given". You gave them nothing. You TRADED a predetermined amount of money for a product in return. Unless you made a donation to Apple you have no point here. You have a choice where to buy electronics from, it's called capitalism.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I dont like my money that I've given Apple going towards ANY political hot topic or any political party. (even ones i support) Whats next... donating to a for or against abortion group? Throw your money at a disease or some needy folks Apple... Stay out of the political debates and pay attention to your technology! No wonder your stock has been going downhill...

Many people think that gay marriage is an extremely important issue, much like things like black and women's rights. Personally, I think it says A LOT about a society if they discriminate against a certain group. If I was American, I'd be extremely embarrassed that this is even an issue up for debate. It just seems rather backwards.

And Apple has PLENTY of money. It's not as if giving money to a cause prevents them from doing anything else. They aren't short of money, so that R&D loses out. And the stock going downhill has nothing to do with whether or not they donate to political causes. To suggest otherwise is rather naive.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Especially considering that you continue to claim that you're against gay marriage because of what gay rights groups do. Shouldn't your opinion be based on, say, the merits of actual gay marriage rather than the behaviour of certain groups that advocate it?

Obviously, they just use it as an excuse. It's like saying "Honestly I really don't care about slavery, let them be free if they want to, but don't try to sit next to me on the bus or anything because that's just shoving it in my face".

----------

Many people think that gay marriage is an extremely important issue, much like things like black and women's rights. Personally, I think it says A LOT about a society if they discriminate against a certain group. If I was American, I'd be extremely embarrassed that this is even an issue up for debate. It just seems rather backwards.

And Apple has PLENTY of money. It's not as if giving money to a cause prevents them from doing anything else. They aren't short of money, so that R&D loses out. And the stock going downhill has nothing to do with whether or not they donate to political causes. To suggest otherwise is rather naive.

It is embarrassing. Especially when over half of the country supports marriage equality. It's not a matter of "if" at this point, it's a matter of when. As soon as the Supreme Court throws out DOMA this year, it should effectively legalize same sex marriage nation wide.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I don't totally agree with the underlined part.
It's not a statement that one is able to agree or disagree with. It is simply the conditions upon which I will engage.

All I have to say is this: Why do you care?
Because someone had to work it all out, otherwise 200,000 years of hominid evolution is going to go down the tubes. We are in a new age (I think I'm the first to see it clearly). The first age lasted about 200,000 years up to the age of agriculture about 10,000 years ago which was the beginning of civilisation, then the third age began around 400 years ago with Newton. And it's now time for a completely new paradigm, so that humanity can fully realise it's potential.

Whatever happens, you and I can just consider "marriage" a religious relationship between a man and a woman and let others think how they wish. It's just a word definition that is adversely affecting (probably in a bad way) USA politics. At least if gay marriage is legitimatized and left behind like that, it won't be a political platform issue anymore.

Don't worry, my work is going to annoy the self righteous gay lobby who are just venting their annoyance on a cause they don't understand, but it's going to annoy the Christian religious groups just as much.

Because my work upholds all the "Christian" ideals, but only the common sense ones. However it upholds these ideals in a way that is contrary to their hypocritical interpretations.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I don't like the idea of same-sex couples having a family, and I like the idea of separate-sex couples having families with biological children because it promotes family unity, but this is not the case. There are families of all sorts, and the government should consider them families for their good.

But calling relationships "marriage" by law is a bad idea only because it invites controversy. It's like calling Christianity "religion" by law. I just don't think the government should dictate what a marriage is because that is different from a family. There can be a family without marriage. If a man and a woman marry and adopt children, then the woman dies, everyone considers that a family. The parent(s) care for the children.

Your argument doesn't seem very well thought out. You claim you don't like same-sex couples having a family, yet you think opposite sex couples having biological children promotes family unity. Wouldn't same-sex couples having children do the same thing? Isn't the whole idea to strengthen the family bond, which conservatives keep saying is the basis of society. Shouldn't allowing gays and lesbians to marry be a good thing for society because it strengthens their relationships and thus the bonds of society as a whole?

And whether you like it or not, a civil union is not the same as a marriage, to a lot of people. Personally, I don't care in the least, but to most of society, gay and straight, marriage is something that people wish for. I don't know any little girls who dream of having a civil union ceremony. It's also not the most romantic thing to ask someone to enter into a civil union with them.

Like it or not, marriage is not strictly a religious institution and probably has never been. I know plenty of non-religious people who got married. And they didn't do it for tax purposes or because they wanted children.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
It's not a statement that one is able to agree or disagree with. It is simply the conditions upon which I will engage.

Don't worry, my work is going to annoy the self righteous gay lobby who are just venting their annoyance on a cause they don't understand, but it's going to annoy the Christian religious groups just as much.

Because my work upholds all the "Christian" ideals, but only the common sense ones. However it upholds these ideals in a way that is contrary to their hypocritical interpretations.

You sound so intellectual, you must be smarter than everyone else because you subtly imply that you are.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I wonder what people will have to say 10 years from now when this is all over and everyone has the right to marry whoever they love. The world will be a better place.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Obviously, they just use it as an excuse. It's like saying "Honestly I really don't care about slavery, let them be free if they want to, but don't try to sit next to me on the bus or anything because that's just shoving it in my face".

----------

It is embarrassing. Especially when over half of the country supports marriage equality. It's not a matter of "if" at this point, it's a matter of when. As soon as the Supreme Court throws out DOMA this year, it should effectively legalize same sex marriage nation wide.

What I wonder, is what these people think when they watch a movie like Lincoln. How self aware are they when they watch the scenes where the obviously racist pro-slavery people try to argue their case, and look completely ignorant while doing so? Fast forward 50 years, and how do you think anti-gay marriage advocates will be looked at?

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
What I wonder, is what these people think when they watch a movie like Lincoln. How self aware are they when they watch the scenes where the obviously racist pro-slavery people try to argue their case, and look completely ignorant while doing so? Fast forward 50 years, and how do you think anti-gay marriage advocates will be looked at?

It's funny you bring that up because I have used that point in my arguments in the past, and they basically agree that they are outnumbered but they say that they don't care how they are viewed historically and that they will not change their views just to appease the majority.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Because someone had to work it all out, otherwise 200,000 years of hominid evolution is going to go down the tubes. We are in a new age (I think I'm the first to see it clearly). The first age lasted about 200,000 years up to the age of agriculture about 10,000 years ago which was the beginning of civilisation, then the third age began around 400 years ago with Newton. And it's now time for a completely new paradigm, so that humanity can fully realise it's potential.

As long as you're the one talking about it, I don't think gay rights advocates have any reason to worry. You just seem to be another voice in a shrinking chorus.

I assume you're self publishing.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I wonder what people will have to say 10 years from now when this is all over and everyone has the right to marry whoever they love. The world will be a better place.

They will have nothing to say. They will still be against it but their opinion is irrelevant. Just like there are plenty of people today who still oppose interracial marriage despite the fact that it has been legal for nearly 50 years.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
So if you support gay marriage...

you're gay? I don't think so.

These are 50 major corporations, in an amicus brief to the Supreme Court, which will be giving a verdict on the matter this summer. This is way more than the sexual preference of this or that CEO.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
So since we are breaking this barrier, I can marry my dog now right?

That's the stupidest point someone can make. Honestly if you are going to argue a point you may as well at least attempt to argue it based on fact.

Here's some facts for you:
Human sexuality is a continuum and is not defined as either gay or straight. Look up the Kinsey scale for more information.

Studies have taken place that have concluded that homosexuality is significantly different enough from "paraphilia" that homosexuality is not a deviation.

What was your point? Were you trying to say that gay people and people in general are on the same level as dogs? If you weren't trying to say that than don't try to infer it.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
It's funny you bring that up because I have used that point in my arguments in the past, and they basically agree that they are outnumbered but they say that they don't care how they are viewed historically and that they will not change their views just to appease the majority.

I don't know whether to respect them or pity them. Probably neither. It's not really about appeasing the majority. It's about doing the right thing. But I guess that's lost on them, isn't it?

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
I have read the 500 plus posts in this thread. There are a majority that support Apple and it's backing of gay marriage, and I applaud Apple and the other 59 companies. Then there are the naysayers, the bigots and homophobics, the twisted religious posters who reinterpret and project the hatred of scripture long since disproved.

I am fortunate to live in New Zealand where there are civil unions for gay and hetrosexual couples. Our parliament is presently progressing a bill that will give 'marriage' to gays, lesbians and to hetrosexuals. Yes I'm gay, a card carrying fa@@ot and very very proud, and proud too of NZ. If a little country like ours can do this the why the bias in the States.

Of course we have the advantage of having a Queen as our Head of State. You lost that honour with your tiff over tea tax. Ours is a very diverse community, as is the population in the USA. I cannot understand why y'all just can't get along

NZ has been a leader in so many areas, sporting, social and political. Hell, we even have a National Government (like your republican party) and soon we'll be celebrating gay marriages.

**shakes head in bemusement**

KGB:cool:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I dont like my money that I've given Apple going towards ANY political hot topic or any political party. (even ones i support) Whats next... donating to a for or against abortion group? Throw your money at a disease or some needy folks Apple... Stay out of the political debates and pay attention to your technology! No wonder your stock has been going downhill...

Companies have every right to join political debates in a democratic society. They are a organization and they can voice their collective opinion.

You would never purchase anything from any medium to large business if you found out the type of influence they have on politics behind closed doors.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Sorry, but I don't believe in moral relativism. Homosexuality is an innate, unchosen characteristic of a person - and therefore should not lead to discrimination. Those that discriminate need to be called on it.

To follow a religious belief is to make a conscious choice, and that's a choice you can change at any moment. Rights granted to those due to their innate characteristic should always trump those granted to those who just subscribe to a philosophy.

Boy, are you full of assumptions. I happen to be for the right for gays to marry. Or more accurately, I'm against the federal government having any say whatsoever in marriage where two consenting adults are concerned. But you said:

The Church doesn't have a monopoly on marriage... although they're close to a monopoly on bigotry.

This is itself bigotry and thus hypocritical. There is no "the church". There are many churches and many more churchgoers. Some are tolerant, some are intolerant. It's not black and white. Lots of gray area.

I'm an atheist and find that too many who call themselves atheists are at least as judgmental and self-righteous as the churchgoing folk they condemn. I happen to know many Christians who are remarkably tolerant, non-judgmental, and non-dogmatic in their beliefs. I get offended when someone groups them in with the intolerant ones and find it ironic that they do so thinking the others are the bigots. We must be more open minded than painting the "other" with such broad strokes.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles

I have a feeling this whole thing is just a war over word choice. What's the difference between marriage and a civil union if you have the same benefits? If you want to call it marriage, then call it marriage. So what!

It's not over word choice. It's a whole pile of legal benefits that you are entitled to have if you have a marriage certificate. You can file a single tax return. You can visit each other in the hospital when you're sick enough for them to keep out anybody but family. You're family. I think you're just naive about this. I knew an elderly gay couple a few years ago, and they said they had spent a heck of a lot of money on lawyers, which would have been theirs automatically in marriage, like being able to give your partner your estate when you die.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Well this is a big DUH.

Considering Tim Cook is gay.

So only gay people support gay marriage and the CEO's personal life determine the positions the company takes?

Wow. Some people here have a real problem, even if they don't realize it.

----------

The church doesn't own marriage. They christen people so next you'll be telling me they own names.

Religion is irrational subscription to a superstitious cult. Religions should be stripped of anything serious on that basis, and they pretty much have.

Of course religious people are overly righteous and claim all manner of rights over people, so not a surprising position.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
You sound so intellectual, you must be smarter than everyone else because you subtly imply that you are.

And your point is?

As long as you're the one talking about it, I don't think gay rights advocates have any reason to worry

We'll see won't we. Not just Gay Rights activists, in fact that's not my main target. It's the vast quantity of PhD's who put out university and peer reviewed deductively ill considered nonsense. Like Ann Cahill's "overcoming objectification"

How about teaching girls to put condoms on bananas, masquerading as sex education.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Companies have every right to join political debates in a democratic society. They are a organization and they can voice their collective opinion.

You know what's hilarious though? They have no problem when 2 or 3 companies voice their support that agrees with their view, and they get mad when people protest outside Chik-Fil-A. But when 60 companies support a cause that they stupidly disagree with, all of a sudden they say corporations should stay out of politics and shouldn't voice their opinion on social issues. And they have no problem when hate groups like One Million Moms (or One Million C-words as I like to call them) protest and try to get people to boycott companies like JCP. False advertising btw, they only have a few thousand members, nowhere near a million. Just a few thousand frigid nasty hateful women with black holes instead of hearts.

----------

And your point is?

That when people feel they know everything, it's entertaining to see their reactions when they find out they're wrong.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

If i had a dollar for every time a gay compared themselves to black and slavery in this thread, id buy another ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.