Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
let the hacking begin!

You did not read the part about these devices join on other networks, not the Internet. The way it works is the network only has a few or a few hundred computers on it an no connection at all to the Internet. So you not be able to send emails to most people from you classed iPhone, you'd use your other personal iPhone for that.

Ok some tmes these networks are connected to the Internet by some kind of link. Mostly the link is an "air gap" where you'd have to put the data on the thumb drive, get it approved and thenove the drive. The rules are usualy complex and vary between organizations

So, no one in China is going to hack your secure iPhone for the same reason that can't hack the CPU chip in your car, because there is no comunications path

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Hey, they're good enough for El Presidente.

obama-ipad-briefing.jpeg

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
With Blackberry just launching it's new phones I'm sure they don't need this competition. I do wonder how many DoD staff have 2 phones because of this rule?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Does the DoD allow Microsoft Windows computers - I guess, if they do (as I assume), then really it's anything goes.

Have you heard of "Orange Book" certification and other military grade certifications for operating systems and platforms? Back in the day, Microsoft spent a lot of money to get at least C2 certifications for Windows NT. (C2 was the level required to pass military security standards for non-networked, standalone systems. B1, e.g., would be a networked setup.) They don't use your standard, off-the-shelf Windows, but they certainly use versions of Windows that run a completely nailed-shut configuration.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Android phones ?

Why the hell man,,,,,

Just use iphones.

WHy would you wanna open the door way to open source stuff, on such secure network network. We ain't just talking about ya average consumer here...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Unleashing iDevices and android on a secure network? LOL.

Hacking will be easier than ever!

Last edited:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I wouldn't discount BB10 right away. I've seen it in action and used it for about 15 minutes. Nothing in depth, mind you.

My first impression was quite good actually and I have programmed from BB SDK 4.x and I despised those devices... So I was actually trying it with a negative mindset from the get go.

With Android, I've always felt a bit of latency between gestures and reaction. Not so with the BB10 I tried. It was really responsive, the gestures they add were intuitive, once you know they exist.

Will that make me switch, no, I just upgraded to an iPhone 5. But next time I change, I will consider what is available then, including the BB10. (I will very likely remain on iPhone, though)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
They are referring to two different networks. The U.S. has lots of different 'terms' defining how sensitive information is. Secret, Top Secret, Classified, Protected, etc. etc. They have both protected, unclassified networks, and secure classified networks.

Although I've only seen the truly secure pentagon stuff (in pictures and stuff) via ethernet. Check out any pictures of the "situation room" or other high profile, highly classified areas within the pentagon. All of the laptops are connected via ethernet (tagged with 'classified' ribbons around the cable).

My younger brother is in the Navy and works in information security and network administration. He says they use ethernet alone for everything classified. So one might think that the 'protected unclassified' would be a form of secure Wi-Fi for devices. Or just a separate network entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'secured classified' network was completely isolated, not physically or otherwise connected to any other network OR to the internet.

Interestingly though, this article makes it seem like the iPhones and Android devices would be connected to what they are describing as 'secured classified'. So maybe they are opening up the classified (or already have) network to Wi-Fi?

Who knows. Sure is pretty interesting though.

I can't imagine any widespread adoption of WiFi on classified networks we have trouble with WiFi on unclassified networks. We'll see though maybe in sealed briefing rooms where they can insure the signal doesn't travel out of the walls.

Is this the Department of Defence just bowing to market pressure to allow the two dominant mobile platforms to be used - or have they really tested iOS and Android to be secure enough? Begs that question whether the decision was made before or after the recent spate of security flaws in iOS 6.1, 6.1.1 and 6.1.2?

Does the DoD allow Microsoft Windows computers - I guess, if they do (as I assume), then really it's anything goes.

I have a few acquaintances at DA IA I've been told that thay have been testing iOS and Android since 09.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
I can't imagine any widespread adoption of WiFi on classified networks we have trouble with WiFi on unclassified networks. We'll see though maybe in sealed briefing rooms where they can insure the signal doesn't travel out of the walls.

I have a few acquaintances at DA IA I've been told that thay have been testing iOS and Android since 09.

I've seen personally my squadron testing Wifi adoption for both Nipr and Sipr so i can believe it. Question is of course, how well will this work with PDA's and the such. Here they were using a encryption device attached to the computers so i doupt there would be KIV-7s attached to iPhones around the office.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I've seen personally my squadron testing Wifi adoption for both Nipr and Sipr so i can believe it. Question is of course, how well will this work with PDA's and the such. Here they were using a encryption device attached to the computers so i doupt there would be KIV-7s attached to iPhones around the office.

But you could put the WiFi behind the KIV so all the devices share the single KIV encryption..

You're a squadron so I'm assuming you have "briefing rooms" than can go secure. It don't imagine it would be tough to control in an environment like that? But what do we do here in my 60yo building where the SIPR boxes sit in a room with a Window? I would imagine it's been worked out but I'd like to see it..

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

DOD is slowly dumping Microsoft Servers to Linux servers because of the draconian pricing of yearly Server subscriptions price increases.

Also DOD is dumping Dell computers/servers as fast as they can because of the Microsoft increases and quality dropping drastically since the 90's.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
DOD is slowly dumping Microsoft Servers to Linux servers because of the draconian pricing of yearly Server subscriptions price increases.

Also DOD is dumping Dell computers/servers as fast as they can because of the Microsoft increases and quality dropping drastically since the 90's.

I hope this is not a stupid question, you work on Milsatcom?

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
The report, "Commercial Mobile Device Implementation Plan" has probably cost taxpayers more than the cost to eventually implement and purchase IOS devices.

Government is the most prolific producer of reports and plans in the universe. They even produce reports on how to produce plans, and produce plans on how to produce reports.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
You really think Microsoft is better at security than Apple?

I don't think either of them are any better than each other.

Microsoft do a lot more work than just the consumer business. Through their other gigs Microsoft have a lot more experience than Apple. Do they get it right 100%, of course not.

Apple appear to be relying on security through obscurity a lot more, which is what microsoft have been criticized for in the past.

OSX / iOS are based upon BSD through which they inherit existing security features. Of course they build more into the OSes than what they inherit.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Smart enough!

I'm sure our Government/DOD knows how to make it secure, they've been at this a long time! This has been well looked into I'm sure, and they, I'm sure, have a game plan for security.:cool:
I love the fact they are going to be using iPhone's, AWESOME:apple:!!!

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Huh. For the kind of... they'd at very least need their own OS.

...if not hardware.

I can't imagine how they'd make use of stock consumer hardware.

Military hardware has been behind consumer technology in terms of speed/power/everything for many, many years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.