Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I always think the argument "but a child needs both a mother and father" is kind of funny. Not because of the argument itself -- hey, if you think so, I can't stop you. But this seems like more of a problem to some than a child with a separated mum and dad, or with a dysfunctional couple who are still married.

If we're talking "what's best for the kid", I really think gay marriages are extremely low on the list, if on the list at all. A child needs most of all love, understanding, and a good social life in the family, and I absolutely think a gay couple will be able to show that equally well as before they married, and as a functional heterosexual couple will.

It's a far greater question what we should do about all the couples that give children nothing but a bad childhood. Unfortunately, simply being heterosexual doesn't help there. If only it were so simple as who you slept with defined how good parent you are...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Next step is polygamy.

Anyone who thinks it will stop at gay rights is naive.

Lets say you're right (which, btw, I don't think you are. The slippery slope is a bad argument here just like people who say if we make some guns illegal, the next thing we will do is get rid of freedom of speech). But anyway: In the land of the free, why would a man marrying two women or a woman marrying five men be so wrong?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
So since we are breaking this barrier, I can marry my dog now right?

Your argument has no relevance to the gay marriage debate, which is about consenting adults of the same sex being allowed to marry.

Marriage is a contract. As such, it requires a meeting of the minds. Dogs can't marry because they aren't able to understand it. Nor horses, nor goats, nor rocks. That's also why children can't marry in the U.S. In cultures where children are married, it's actually family elders that negotiate and agree to the marriage, so there, too, a marriage is agreed to between consenting adults.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I always think the argument "but a child needs both a mother and father" is kind of funny. Not because of the argument itself -- hey, if you think so, I can't stop you. But this seems like more of a problem to some than a child with a separated mum and dad, or with a dysfunctional couple who are still married.

If we're talking "what's best for the kid", I really think gay marriages are extremely low on the list, if on the list at all. A child needs most of all love, understanding, and a good social life in the family, and I absolutely think a gay couple will be able to show that equally well as before they married, and as a functional heterosexual couple will.

It's a far greater question what we should do about all the couples that give children nothing but a bad childhood. Unfortunately, simply being heterosexual doesn't help there. If only it were so simple as who you slept with defined how good parent you are...

What about children's rights? Do they not have a right to both a Mom and a Dad?

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
not to mention our understanding of God and the Bible is flawed and has changed countless times over the last 2,000 years!

Who's understanding is flawed? Whats been changing over the past 2000 years?

So big money and big business is injecting themselves into politics? I thought most of you left coasters were against this sort of thing.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
What about children's rights? Do they not have a right to both a Mom and a Dad?

You should ask Casey Anthony's daughter.....

I wonder what she would prefer.

Being straight + married does not equal being a good parent.

How about instead of focusing on who the parents are, why don't we focus on how good they are?

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Next step is polygamy.

Anyone who thinks it will stop at gay rights is naive.

Can you name one country or state that has legalized gay marriage and, as a direct result, legalized polygamy.

Can you explain what marrying someone of the same gender has to do with marrying multiple people? I really don't see the connection.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The purpose and design of the sexual organs is reproduction. They generate pleasure to facilitate and encourage procreation and the generation of human beings. When individuals choose to generate pleasure without procreation then they are deviating from the primary purpose of the organs. Obviously, human procreation requires male and female. As such, homosexual behavior is in direct contravention to the purpose and design of the very organs utilized in the act. Individuals with homosexual tendencies have a severe disconnect of the mind and the body: they feel that they we're born in "the wrong body", so to speak. With this in mind, it seems oxymoronic to say that homosexual behavior is "right" or "acceptable" or "normal", when there is an obvious psychological discrepancy in individuals subject to such behavior.

My God, what amount of wrong believings.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If marriage can be said to be a religious issue then it certainly wasn't originated by Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other modern religion. Marriage, as in the life pairing of two or more people and the joining of their families, dates back far further than any modern religion. The earliest references to marriage predate written history and come through spoken history in ancient tribes. We know that early, nomadic humans practiced something akin to marriage and had rituals and rites associated with it. Marriage is religious only in the context that religions have sought to make it so.

Total gibberish. If it pre-dates written history how do we know about it? It must have been recorded somewhere for us to know about it.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Can you name one country or state that has legalized gay marriage and, as a direct result, legalized polygamy.

Can you explain what marrying someone of the same gender has to do with marrying multiple people? I really don't see the connection.

There is no connection. Why can't I marry multiple people? All it takes is one person to ask the question. Don't you marry for love? Can't you love more than one person?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I feel Apple (or any company, for that matter) should not be getting involved in a moral issue. Especially a moral issue related to sex, the most intimate of all the things we do as a species!!! It is not necessary.

What an ignorant statement. This issue has nothing to do with sex.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Their CEO is gay, what would you expect?

Oh, you mean just like how the last CEO had pancreatic cancer and he then when on to find new pancreatic cancer treatments? :rolleyes: Google and Amazon are also huge supporters of gay rights (Amazon even has a gay commercial airing in the US right now) and neither company has a gay CEO...

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'm Catholic, so I should be opposed to Gay Marriage...

BUT, I say let gays marry. Why the heck should only the straight suffer?:p No more doing what you want, when you want and with whom you want. The Missus is a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.:(:(:( The look of reproach when she sees me sneaking some bacon bits into a salad... Gawd, I miss the single life. Let the gays marry. Let them know the suffering of millions of husbands everywhere.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple is a big company. I'm sure they can keep working properly on their products and support other causes. It's not as if Jonny and his team are going to stop working to go sign some petition.

Not really the point. Apple should get on with running their business and not trying to tell the American people how to govern their country and live their lives. That's what you elect politicians for.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
I think such stands should come from the people, not from companies. Why would a company like Apple have any say in this? Why should legislators listen to a private company on social issues? I wish Apple would concentrate on their business, improve OSX, make a new phone after years of just changing sizes to the Iphone.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
However, you are much more likely to allow a small percentage of gay people to marry than to unravel the entire business of marriage, so let's stick with reality.

Yes, I have come to the realization that this is going to happen regardless of what anyone tries to do. And in some ways my argument is that marriage doesn't make a difference anymore, so if someone wants to marry let them marry, because it won't help, nor will it hurt. I still think the government should simply move to a system where they say "what person do you want to designate as partner for legal issues" and do away with all the special exceptions for married people. That person could be same-sex, your girl friend or boyfriend, or whatever.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
The issue aside I am curious why the popular vote from the people of the United States can/should be overturned by a court. How does that represent the people better than the people voting themselves?

Hello, I am from the Representative republic of the United States of America, if you were looking for a democracy, you have come to the wrong place. :D

The supreme court members are there for life. One of the reasons for this is so that we have individuals who vote on what is right and faithful to the constitution. They do note vote based on the direction the wind is blowing or the current political state or will of the people. After all, all it takes is one school shooting and now people want to vote out the 2nd amendment. The supreme court is there to ensure this nation doesn't become a democracy. They are there to protect our rights and not have them chipped away.

If you think that is crazy talk, research the difference between the two forms of government. A representative republic and democracy.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
There is no connection. Why can't I marry multiple people? All it takes is one person to ask the question. Don't you marry for love? Can't you love more than one person?

TBH, I couldn't care less how many people want to marry eachother. If the IRS can figure out the legal challenges of having multiple people in a marriage, I don't mind polygamy being legalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.