Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Controversial Freemium Game Real Racing 3 Hits the U.S. App Store

Controversial freemium game Real Racing 3 was released in the U.S. App Store tonight, after being tested in several international App Stores. Real Racing 3 is the highly anticipated followup to Real Racing 2, with real cars, photorealistic tracks, and online time shifted multiplayer gameplay.

Unlike earlier games in the series, Real Racing 3 is free to play, with time-based freemium mechanics. Wait times have been implemented for repairs, upgrades, and additional vehicle unlocks, which can be sped up with the purchase of gold coins.

Our sister site TouchArcade has published a review of the game, explaining both the upsides and the downsides of the freemium gameplay.
Quote:
Real Racing 3 is a weird game to review. On one hand, it's free, and is the absolute best looking game available on the App Store right now. You need to experience the sights and sounds of the game as it is downright jaw-dropping to see what Firemonkeys has accomplished on a technical level. On the other, it feels incredibly strange to take a genre that's typically very hardcore and wrapping it in free to play trimmings with hard timer-based stopping points. The juxtaposition between awesome adrenalin-fueled racing and the "Sorry bro, insert coin or come back later" is very, very odd.
TouchArcade has also released a guide on how to spend conservatively in the game, recommending specific cars, damage mitigation, and strategic repairs.

Real Racing 3 is currently available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Controversial Freemium Game Real Racing 3 Hits the U.S. App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Hope it crashes and burns... followed by a "premium" $5.99 release without annoying freemium features.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
komodrone
Banned

Due to the title, I thought this game had sex involved.
komodrone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Hope it crashes and burns... followed by a "premium" $5.99 release without annoying freemium features.
Am surprise they didnt release a premium or a monthly pass i hate waiting and nickel and diming ,
Ricanlegend is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

Such an annoying way to play a game like this.

I'd pay for it, I'd pay a decent amount for it, like $10 or $15 like RR2 but I'm not going to download it for free because it's such a rotten way to play a game.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

I would rather play $20 for the game.
fun173 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Derekuda
macrumors member

Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?
Derekuda is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekuda View Post
Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?
Because they make money. Plain and simple. Folks spend tons of money on those games.

Drives me nuts. I loved the earlier model of iOS gaming, where you'd have a limited 'free' or 'lite' version, with maybe one or two levels or something, and then a 'pro' or 'premium' version that was fully loaded. What an awesome experience for the consumer! You can try out the gist of the game for free, and if you like it, pay a reasonable price for a full featured and supported game!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:04 PM   #9
andrewnguyener
macrumors member

Starting to download now. Still disappointed it's freemium.
andrewnguyener is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:08 PM   #10
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
In the top 20 grossing apps in the app store, only 3 are NOT freemium. Despite what people complain about. Freemium works, and can make more money than not-freemium.

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/gros/?device=iphone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 12.07.35 AM.png
Views:	214
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	399832  
arn is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 PM   #11
thelink
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
Due to the title, I thought this game had sex involved.
Really?^

Anyways, this seems like an odd way to play. I have never really liked the idea of being limited to a certain amount of time, but if this is how they decide to do this then I guess only time will tell.
thelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:21 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

So basically, I'm forced to play a game by the way a guide tells me in order to save money? No thanks. That's not a very fun experience. That's more like Sims FreePlay which also forces you to follow their directions.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:22 PM   #13
adam044
macrumors 65816

Not showing up on my iPhone yet
adam044 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

DL now.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #15
patent10021
macrumors 68000

Microtransactions suck balls. Unfortunately it looks to be the way it's headed. All the big publishers are doing it.
patent10021 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #16
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
Not showing up on my iPhone yet
that's what the links are for in the article. [Direct Link] goes straight to the app in the App Store.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 PM   #17
nostaws
macrumors 6502

I don't see how this game is "controversial" though.
nostaws is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular

I can't picture dropping coins into a game to play it. Where would anyone get that idea?
Ralf The Dog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 PM   #19
markie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaws View Post
I don't see how this game is "controversial" though.
Because freemium sucks.
markie is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 PM   #20
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Because that's how the mind of regular Joe works - attracted by the free price tag, downloaded it, got stuck in the middle with a 'wait or pay' dialog, feeling impatient, pay. At least that's how Candy Crush Saga works. Of course I hate those games very much but you can see how many of them are listed in the top spots of "Top Grossing" list.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:53 PM   #21
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes.

People who are used to paying up front for games don't like freemium, so they don't play them.

However, 10 to 1000 times more people who don't like to pay for games download them because they're free to download. If a small fraction of those players later decide to upgrade, the game makes even more money than it would have from catering to the much smaller number of people who pay for games up front. Who cares if they complain? Further, since so many people can be seen playing these free-to-download games, they generate even more downloads from this free advertising.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:56 PM   #22
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
In the top 20 grossing apps in the app store, only 3 are NOT freemium. Despite what people complain about. Freemium works, and can make more money than not-freemium.

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/gros/?device=iphone
Doesn't mean it's a good thing.
The Bulge is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:06 AM   #23
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
Microtransactions suck balls. Unfortunately it looks to be the way it's headed. All the big publishers are doing it.
I don't mind in-app purchases when they unlock extended chapters or story lines (like in GOF2) whereby the user pays $4-5 for an add-on which includes a lot of added goodies. However all of the games which have "premium currency" or tons of $.99 upgrades drive me nuts. Those really make me feel like I am being hounded for my money, and if I am constantly being reminded that what I am doing costs real money it completely defeats the purpose (escapism & relaxing) of playing the game.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:24 AM   #24
luigi408
macrumors regular

Will not download. Hope this game and other similar games that use "freemium" crash and burn too.
luigi408 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:32 AM   #25
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
The big stupid masses out there is what all companies want to reach. And since they big stupid masses out there is a big majority of the population, it succeeds. Tragic world.
Mackan is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion