Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I even hate the fact that the 1.0.2 update made repairs instant. It's ridiculous that a windshield is instantly replaced. It only took 5 minutes or so but it made you race more carefully and thus REAListic as it's called REAL Racing I thought this was a cool thing.

They can tweak settings like the repair times without an update. I remember the exact moment when they change it to instant, since my game crashed (lucky I wasn't in a race, although I don't think it would've updated mid-race anyway).

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Sounds like the most realistic part of racing- if you crash or need repairs, you must wait till you can afford it!! Small budget racers all know this, no one has unlimited funds or unlimited backup cars. So if you crash, you can't race till you fix the car. And either you pay a lot of money for a crew to thrash all week long to fix it, or you wait a very long time, miss the next race, but do all the work yourself.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I think there is some good points with about Freemium games. But people expect things for free! Even the more expensive game apps at 9.99 or something cost a bomb to develop.

This is all androids fault really... Games are massively pirated so the devs have had to work out some way of making money back.

However the pricing is wrong on a lot of them... and seem to exist in the hope that some kid is going to hit their parent account for 34.99 for a million gold coins or whatever.

and they have multiple payment options... should be just one. Say coins and that pays for everything in the game. and they coould have a Tapped out total of say $19.99 for infinite coins

Top In-App Purchases

Grey Card$1.99
All Classes Pack$9.99
Blue Card$4.99
Street Spec Booster Pack$1.99
Black Card$9.99
Supercar Booster Pack$4.99
Racing Spec Collector$19.99
Pocketful of Gold$4.99
Silver Card$19.99
Pile of Gold$9.99

http://kotaku.com/5987503/real-racing-3-is-a-beautiful-game-strangled-by-freemium-nonsense

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I hate freemium games ... I rather pay my 9.99 and be able to play the full game than to pay 2.99 a week (or per day!) to play.

Isn't "freemium" what we used to call "crippleware"? Or are they two different things?

Similar except freemium promotes a recurring payment scheme, where as crippleware is unlocked after a one time payment.

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I like freemium models because it means you can only waste some of your life playing the game, not all of it. It puts a limit on the amount of time you can waste in a day, this a good a thing.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I detest "Freemium" games as much as the next sane adult. But I remember when I was a kid I'd mindlessly stuff quarters in machines @ the arcade (yes, I'm an old dude). It drove my parents nuts but it was my $ to waste.

Except when you put in 1 quarter, you theoretically had a chance to finish the entire game on the single credit.

Whereas fremium games, you pretty much have to continually dump money in to win.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I race on the street, not in virtuality. You would not believe the number of real life tractor trailers I beat off a red light. Best of all, I get to do it with real time 360 sound and sight.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I think there is some good points with about Freemium games. But people expect things for free! Even the more expensive game apps at 9.99 or something cost a bomb to develop.

This is all androids fault really... Games are massively pirated so the devs have had to work out some way of making money back.

However the pricing is wrong on a lot of them... and seem to exist in the hope that some kid is going to hit their parent account for 34.99 for a million gold coins or whatever.

and they have multiple payment options... should be just one. Say coins and that pays for everything in the game. and they coould have a Tapped out total of say $19.99 for infinite coins

Top In-App Purchases

Grey Card$1.99
All Classes Pack$9.99
Blue Card$4.99
Street Spec Booster Pack$1.99
Black Card$9.99
Supercar Booster Pack$4.99
Racing Spec Collector$19.99
Pocketful of Gold$4.99
Silver Card$19.99
Pile of Gold$9.99

http://kotaku.com/5987503/real-racing-3-is-a-beautiful-game-strangled-by-freemium-nonsense

Sorry but I'll have to disagree. Freemium and DLC are not a way of stopping piracy - not at all. They could just sell their game and be paid for it. Freemiums and DLC models are just a greedy way to make more money than they should.

People that are willing to pay for a game, they will not pirate it, they just want to buy it once and get done with it. For people that "want everything for free" (aka pirate s/w users) making a game freemium will not make them pay.

To sum it up: Making a game freemium (or taking the DLC road) tries to milk more money from the same people that would pay anyway for it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
. I have, however, never, EVER bought any in-app currency, and for one simple reason: it's always, ALWAYS grossly over priced... the games aren't worth it.

And the few people who pay for these grossly overpriced in-game items (drunk? spoiled rich kids?) bring in more revenue than is lost by not selling the app to the smaller percentage of device users who prefer to pay up front for game apps.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Making a game freemium (or taking the DLC road) tries to milk more money from the same people that would pay anyway for it.

The people who get milked are usually a completely different group of people from the types who would pay away. But there's more money in milking these types than in selling mobile game apps to people like you.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Tried it on my iPad3. Graphics look phenomenal, but the frame rate is a bit choppy. Like a steady 15-20fps. Not good for a racing game. I think this is probably the first game that really wants the latest generation of hardware (iPhone5 or iPad4).

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
what are these things called "coins" that you speak of?
They're the archaic precursor to debit cards. Similarly thin (well, a bit thicker), made of metal instead of plastic, and - get this - round (about 1" wide). They were one-time-use microtransaction tokens, completely anonymized without cryptographic tagging, so cheap and common that rather than swiping the thing you'd just give it to the seller. Sucked for online purchases though: you'd have to take a big heavy pile of them (made of metal, remember, and contained fixed microtransaction values) to a brick-and-mortar (marble-and-steel actually) storefront service which would convert them into transaction tickets on processed dead tree carcasses (data expressed in plaintext even! really! security practices were hideously lax), then have to pay someone to carry the token to the recipient (lag times were atrocious, I mean like days), where they'd reverse the process.

Somehow, use of "coins" correlated with a fad involving small printed portraits of dead presidents (the most desirable being a portrait of some guy most people thought was president but wasn't). Pretty lousy portraits too, high resolution, but color depth was pretty much limited to green, black, and a crummy off-white. And - get this - you'd get thrown into a small metal box if you so much as tried to get a printer for making your own (friggin' expensive printers too). Pretty popular fad; everyone was obsessed with collecting them, even though there were only about a half-dozen portraits involved, everyone wanted thousands of 'em, even millions.

20th Century was weird. Let's not go back there.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I find it hilarious that people complain when a game is free, they say they'' pay $20 for this game, and are the same people when it's 9.99 they complain it's not 99 cents or free..

----------

I race on the street, not in virtuality. You would not believe the number of real life tractor trailers I beat off a red light. Best of all, I get to do it with real time 360 sound and sight.

lol...

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Purchases in freemium games feel like cheating to me. When I was younger I hated using in games cheats. While my friends would overload themselves with lives or cash I felt the sense of accomplishment completely leave me if I did that.

I can't bring myself to buy coins or gems because I feel like I've failed, although I know the balance of the game is stacked against me.

I did buy some bux in tiny tower though. Not because I needed them, it was more like a donation to a developer that had entertained me for so long.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I don't mind freemium, it's just a drag when there isn't an option to just buy the full game outright (and don't get me started on paid apps that have in app purchases too). Same goes for paid apps with ads, it should be one or the other.

Doesn't mean it's a good thing.

And yet enough people are willing to pay that it's a money maker for the developer. For freemium to go away, the public would need to stop making the in game purchases, and that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

I wonder how much of a factor piracy is? People can get around buying a game, but I wonder if in-app purchases can be hacked as well or if they're more secure.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
"Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?"

Starting to download now. Still disappointed it's freemium.

Amazing how the thread answers itself. The only way to change a business model is to make it fail utterly. In this case that would be to do without the game.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Graphics are really great .. but the concept of the game is really weird/off putting .. I don't think I will play it a lot.

I bought plenty of games from the app store so far (probably a couple hundred $ worth), I have yet to pay a single cent in a freemium game. And I don't plan to change that ..

T.

----------

Amazing how the thread answers itself. The only way to change a business model is to make it fail utterly. In this case that would be to do without the game.

No .. it is enough to make it fail economically, which I am pretty sure it won't. If they don't earn money from my download, I think it is fine to give it a try.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Enlighten me

I hate freemium games ... I rather pay my 9.99 and be able to play the full game than to pay 2.99 a week (or per day!) to play.QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd like to do the same - what 9.99 games do you have on your iPad right now that are worth it for me to buy?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Except when you put in 1 quarter, you theoretically had a chance to finish the entire game on the single credit.

Whereas fremium games, you pretty much have to continually dump money in to win.

Sure. Look, it's an analogy, to suggest who is playing Fremium games, not a literal, fact for fact comparison of arcade games vs Fremium. Either way it's money down a hole by kids who don't yet have any concept of value. In both situations $ & gratification is consumed in a matter of minutes.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Is this also for iPhone 5 or only the 4S doesn't have anti-aliasing? Seems to me that the RR2 was better not only in UI and gameplay, but also graphics...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.