Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I am new to this conversion process as I am trying to convert all my MKVs to M4V to have them playback using ATV3. Handbrake takes a lot of time even though my MKVs are x264 video with DTS audio. What I so far understand is it should be easy to convert a video from mkv to m4v if codec is x264 in source file. So I was kind of hoping to passthru video and only convert DTS to AC3 multichannel so to save some time doing the conversions.
I did not find a way to do this with HB , so was wondering is there a way or program that would just pass thru video and only convert audio ?

I am not very well versed with this but would love to learn more.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am new to this conversion process as I am trying to convert all my MKVs to M4V to have them playback using ATV3. Handbrake takes a lot of time even though my MKVs are x264 video with DTS audio. What I so far understand is it should be easy to convert a video from mkv to m4v if codec is x264 in source file. So I was kind of hoping to passthru video and only convert DTS to AC3 multichannel so to save some time doing the conversions.
I did not find a way to do this with HB , so was wondering is there a way or program that would just pass thru video and only convert audio ?

I am not very well versed with this but would love to learn more.

I would suggest mp4tools.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I would suggest mp4tools.

I have downloaded mp4tool 3.2.5 and so far not able to use it because anytime I try to open any video it gives me error saying it could not identify a video in the file. So since yesterday tried to find a answer and nothing.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have downloaded mp4tool 3.2.5 and so far not able to use it because anytime I try to open any video it gives me error saying it could not identify a video in the file. So since yesterday tried to find a answer and nothing.
Are your file sources BR's or downloads? If you have Media Inspector or Media Info, how about posting an analysis of a file that is giving a problem?

Also, you should be able to do the re-packaging of the file using Subler. I just like mp4tools better for files that contain DTS audio.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Are your file sources BR's or downloads? If you have Media Inspector or Media Info, how about posting an analysis of a file that is giving a problem?

Also, you should be able to do the re-packaging of the file using Subler. I just like mp4tools better for files that contain DTS audio.

i have Blu rays that i made to MKV on my windows laptop.

So far I have not had luck of even getting mp4tool 3.2.5 to even accept a single mkv , m4v or mp4 , it says same thing to all of those even files that are m4v and run fine on ATV3.

But then i went and got older mp4tools which is 3.1.4 which had no problem of opening those files. I even tried it for a small mkv although result was a lot of temp log files and audio video files separately etc.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
General / Container Stream #1
Total Video Streams for this File : 1
Total Audio Streams for this File : 1
Video Codecs Used : AVC
Audio Codecs Used : AAC LC
File Format : MPEG-4
Play Time : 1h 20mn
Total File Size : 696 MiB
Total Stream BitRate : 1 206 Kbps
Title (Tag) : Prahaar 2
Encoded with : iVI (South Pole Software)
Video Stream #1
Codec (Human Name) : AVC
Codec (FourCC) : avc1
Codec Profile : High@L3.0
Frame Width : 608 pixels
Frame Height : 352 pixels
Frame Rate : 29.970 fps
Total Frames : 145072
Display Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Scan Type : Progressive
Color Space : YUV
Codec Settings (Summary) : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) : 0.158
Codec Settings (CABAC) : Yes
Codec Settings (Reference Frames) : 4
Video Stream Length : 1h 20mn 40s 569ms
Video Stream BitRate : 1 011 Kbps
Video Stream BitRate Mode : VBR
Bit Depth : 8 bits
Video Stream Size : 596 MiB (86%)
Video Encoder : x264 - core 110
Video Encoder (Settings) : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=
Audio Stream #1
Codec : AAC
Codec (FourCC) : 40
Audio Stream Length : 1h 20mn 40s 490ms
0x3:0x113
/
Audio Stream Length : 1h 20mn 40s 490ms
Audio Stream BitRate : 165 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode : VBR
Number of Audio Channels : 2
Audio Channel's Positions : Front: L R
Sampling Rate : 48.0 KHz
Audio Stream Size : 95.5 MiB (14%)

Here is one file that I converted to m4v last night using IVI and plays fine with iTunes and ATV but still mp4tools says "Mp4tools could not identify this file as a video"

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Here is one file that I converted to m4v last night using IVI and plays fine with iTunes and ATV but still mp4tools says "Mp4tools could not identify this file as a video"
Not sure how you are using mp4tools on a "Windows laptop" as it is a mac application. :confused:

Edit: never mind...I see that you just ripped them using a Windows machine. You're must be using a Mac to do the re-packaging, correct?

And if I understand you correctly an older version of mp4tools works ok, correct?

If that's the case, I have no idea what the issue might be with your files and the new version of mp4tools. Emmgun (developer) is quiet responsive if you want to contact him by email for help. Have you tried Subler?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The only sure fire method apart from handbrake, which I know is kind of slow, but is reliable...Is Roxio's Toast Platinum....The Mac version cost's around £140 though...I have a buddy who uses it and he says it's super fast, but I can't vouch for it as I'm happy enough to wait for HB to do it's thing.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Not sure how you are using mp4tools on a "Windows laptop" as it is a mac application. :confused:

Edit: never mind...I see that you just ripped them using a Windows machine. You're must be using a Mac to do the re-packaging, correct?

And if I understand you correctly an older version of mp4tools works ok, correct?

If that's the case, I have no idea what the issue might be with your files and the new version of mp4tools. Emmgun (developer) is quiet responsive if you want to contact him by email for help. Have you tried Subler?

I am using Macbook now ,in past used windows to rip movies as no Blu ray drive with Macbook.

Yeah older version worked for me but newer does not take files at all. Will email the developer .

I have used subler for meta tagging for itunes. But do not know if it will convert dts to ac3 or does it? I think i have done mkv ac3 file to m4v using subler , that file was downloaded though.

One more question I wanted to ask was , I have used HB earlier and successfully converted some file and they play fine on iTunes and ATV but they start with default Surround track and no sound but then I manually select Stereo and sound comes and if then I go back to select Surround , I still get sound but not when its already selected at start of file in ATV3.

The only sure fire method apart from handbrake, which I know is kind of slow, but is reliable...Is Roxio's Toast Platinum....The Mac version cost's around £140 though...I have a buddy who uses it and he says it's super fast, but I can't vouch for it as I'm happy enough to wait for HB to do it's thing.

In that case will use HB , only thing was looking for a faster way but that one sounds a lot of money.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am using Macbook now ,in past used windows to rip movies as no Blu ray drive with Macbook.

Yeah older version worked for me but newer does not take files at all. Will email the developer .

I have used subler for meta tagging for itunes. But do not know if it will convert dts to ac3 or does it? I think i have done mkv ac3 file to m4v using subler , that file was downloaded though.

One more question I wanted to ask was , I have used HB earlier and successfully converted some file and they play fine on iTunes and ATV but they start with default Surround track and no sound but then I manually select Stereo and sound comes and if then I go back to select Surround , I still get sound but not when its already selected at start of file in ATV3.

In that case will use HB , only thing was looking for a faster way but that one sounds a lot of money.
You can get Subler to convert DTS to AC3 but it is a multistep process. Look for posts on this forum for the process. I only use HB so I do not have direct knowledge of the process, just remember seeing posts on how to do it. I also remember seeing a recent post on using iffmeg (or something like that) to convert the audio track and then muxing it in using Subler. Keep in mind, that if you don't transcode, you are keeping the high bitrates of the original file. If you are using the aTV wirelessly, those high bitrates may cause streaming problems. Also, if storage space is a concern, your file sizes will be 3-4 times larger by not using HB. If speed is your only issue, those are just some things to consider when making the decision to just change containers.

As for getting the correct sound on the aTV, it sounds like you have it Dolby Digital preferences set to Auto. It should be set to On.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
You can get Subler to convert DTS to AC3 but it is a multistep process.

Well, to be fair though, subler itself has no AC3 encoder, therfore it has no way to convert DTS to AC3, even with perian installed.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
You can get Subler to convert DTS to AC3 but it is a multistep process. Look for posts on this forum for the process. I only use HB so I do not have direct knowledge of the process, just remember seeing posts on how to do it. I also remember seeing a recent post on using iffmeg (or something like that) to convert the audio track and then muxing it in using Subler. Keep in mind, that if you don't transcode, you are keeping the high bitrates of the original file. If you are using the aTV wirelessly, those high bitrates may cause streaming problems. Also, if storage space is a concern, your file sizes will be 3-4 times larger by not using HB. If speed is your only issue, those are just some things to consider when making the decision to just change containers.

As for getting the correct sound on the aTV, it sounds like you have it Dolby Digital preferences set to Auto. It should be set to On.

Streaming is not problem . My ATV is wired to Time capsule. I tried ffmpeg method but i did not understand it much , downloaded ffmpeg but could not run any commands etc.

Just checked audio on ATV set to On for Dolby Digital

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well, to be fair though, subler itself has no AC3 encoder, therfore it has no way to convert DTS to AC3, even with perian installed.
Your right! It's only converts AC3 to AAC stereo. But haven't there been posts here on how to use Subler on files that contain DTS? I'll have to look into that, maybe I'm mistaken.

----------

Open the file with Subler and make sure that the stereo track is checked and the surround track is unchecked.

Clarification: Subler can convert DTS to AAC stereo, Dolby Prologic, or 6-channel discrete but not AC3. Per Dynaflash (and his word is God-like in my opinion) the aTV will down mix the 6-channel discrete into a 3-channel stream with odd characteristics. So Prologic or stereo are the only viable options for dealing with DTS when using Subler. Part of my confusion came from posts of people trying to generate an AAC Prologic stereo track from an AC3 surround track using Subler when just changing containers. Sorry.

Last edited:

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Your right! It's only converts AC3 to AAC stereo. But haven't there been posts here on how to use Subler on files that contain DTS? I'll have to look into that, maybe I'm mistaken.

----------

Open the file with Subler and make sure that the stereo track is checked and the surround track is unchecked.

Clarification: Subler can convert DTS to AAC stereo, Dolby Prologic, or 6-channel discrete but not AC3. Per Dynaflash (and his word is God-like in my opinion) the aTV will down mix the 6-channel discrete into a 3-channel stream with odd characteristics. So Prologic or stereo are the only viable options for dealing with DTS when using Subler. Part of my confusion came from posts of people trying to generate an AAC Prologic stereo track from an AC3 surround track using Subler when just changing containers. Sorry.

going out , will come back n try that in subler. one thing though can i still do that to files already m4v ?

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
One more stupid q to ask. I downloaded iFFMPEG and it asks me to have binaries which again i downloaded. Now it says to copy them to iffmpeg, which I try to do is by draging binaries over iffmpeg app in application folder but it just gets pasted there.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
One more stupid q to ask. I downloaded iFFMPEG and it asks me to have binaries which again i downloaded. Now it says to copy them to iffmpeg, which I try to do is by draging binaries over iffmpeg app in application folder but it just gets pasted there.

I have no direct knowledge of iffmpeg. But from the way the site reads, the binary's just need to be in the same application folder to be available for iffmpeg to use. So dragging and pasting in there may be all that is necessary. I have not looked at the binary files, however, do they need to be uncompress or anything, i.e. do they come in a dmg or zip file that needs to be opened?

Maybe someone here that has some direct iffmpeg hands-on experience can help.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I have no direct knowledge of iffmpeg. But from the way the site reads, the binary's just need to be in the same application folder to be available for iffmpeg to use. So dragging and pasting in there may be all that is necessary. I have not looked at the binary files, however, do they need to be uncompress or anything, i.e. do they come in a dmg or zip file that needs to be opened?

Maybe someone here that has some direct iffmpeg hands-on experience can help.

Well they are in zip and after that i extracted and its Unix executable file , I tried putting in Application folder where iffmpeg is , even tried putting them into iffmpeg with show package contents but still its asking for binaries.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well they are in zip and after that i extracted and its Unix executable file , I tried putting in Application folder where iffmpeg is , even tried putting them into iffmpeg with show package contents but still its asking for binaries.

Try this for an already compiled ffmpeg binary: http://ffmpegmac.net

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Try this for an already compiled ffmpeg binary: http://ffmpegmac.net

Yeah I have downloaded a bunch of them but dun know where to copy or put them to make iffmpeg see them. Everytime it says me to check SS.

XJkZ.png

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah I have downloaded a bunch of them but dun know where to copy or put them to make iffmpeg see them. Everytime it says me to check SS.

Ok, I just did it. You have iFFmpeg downloaded and installed. Start it. Next download the FFmpeg binary from the above link in my post. It will be a zip file. Open the zip file and you will see a file called FFmpeg. Drag and drop that file onto the opened iFFmpeg application. It will ask you if you want to copy it into the iFFmpeg folder. You will say, yes. You should be good to go.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Ok, I just did it. You have iFFmpeg downloaded and installed. Start it. Next download the FFmpeg binary from the above link in my post. It will be a zip file. Open the zip file and you will see a file called FFmpeg. Drag and drop that file onto the opened iFFmpeg application. It will ask you if you want to copy it into the iFFmpeg folder. You will say, yes. You should be good to go.

Oh lol , this was so simple yet I tried everything else. Thanks mate! You as always are a wonderful and patient person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.