Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:49 AM   #26
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Let's buy a judge.
Samsung wouldn't bribe a public official, would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picka View Post
It's a conspiracy...

*Gets tinfoil hat*
Instead of a tinfoil hat, you could Google "Samsung Corruption" or "Samsung Bribery" and find actual cases that Samsung's CEO was convicted of and pardoned for by the South Korean government which is in his pocket.

Just saying....
BC2009 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:50 AM   #27
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

Oh coincidences, how you show up everywhere.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:51 AM   #28
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
Oh coincidences, how you show up everywhere.
you are not allowed to believe in coincidences
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:54 AM   #29
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
"Implying foul play" is plenty of reason, isn't it?

Apple is probably free to put this onto their website. "On order of Judge soandso, who is now paid as a consultant for Samsung, we'd like to tell you that Samsung phones are the greatest phones. Believe it or not. "
Only if they want to be sued for libel and risk imprisonment for contempt of court.
The Phazer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:56 AM   #30
mbarriault
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Only if they want to be sued for libel and risk imprisonment for contempt of court.
Libel can only be used in non-factual statements. While there is certainly a negative implication, the quoted sentence does explicitly say that the judge works for Samsung now and didn't before (though admittedly English structure can make that unclear).
mbarriault is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:59 AM   #31
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Love all the tin foil hats people are wearing. This stuff happens all the time. And by this stuff - I don't mean what's being implied on this thread. I mean hiring EXPERTS as consultants.
No. Hiring judges who formerly ruled on your case as an expert in another matter does NOT happen all the time. This is in fact highly unusual and would probably be unethical in the United States.
QCassidy352 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:59 AM   #32
odditie
macrumors regular

I just find it rather odd that this is allowed. I guess if I was putting a judicial system in place I wouldn't want the lines between judge and consultant be blurred by allowing someone to both rule over and give advice to the same person/company.

It would be like having a judge also be a practicing lawyer to me. Kinda weird.
odditie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:01 AM   #33
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

This smells like the East River.
Intarweb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #34
attila
macrumors 6502

The judge should apologise to Apple now that Samsung copied yet another feature, including functionality AND design: Passbook

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/27/...ke-wallet-app/
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #35
macrumors regular

talk about corruption. or like congressmen sitting on boards after leaving congress.
Avatarshark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:03 AM   #36
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
No. Hiring judges who formerly ruled on your case as an expert in another matter does NOT happen all the time. This is in fact highly unusual and would probably be unethical in the United States.
Sure it does. It just doesn't make fan websites because typically - it's non news. As is this. Great click bait. But hardly anything new.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:03 AM   #37
pbush25
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to pbush25 Send a message via Skype™ to pbush25
I feel like this has to be some sort of conflict of interest... Or something that's illegal
pbush25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:03 AM   #38
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
A judge who doesn't see patent infringement and even made Apple apologize where Judge Koh saw one with a damage of $1B.

Could you have a better adviser than that when filing for patents? Next up, the new Samsung Galaxy S4:
Thumb resize.

...but the Judge said it's a original design!!!11 See, it's semi-glossy rather than glossy and the edges are 1 deg. less bent. Completely different phone.
And as fas as the US goes, you get this, and we hope you already forgot about the iPhone 3G design:

Even has widgets.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:10 AM   #39
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Whether there was improper behavior or not...the appearance of impropriety is unfortunately strong, to say the least.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:11 AM   #40
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbush25 View Post
I feel like this has to be some sort of conflict of interest... Or something that's illegal
No - a conflict of interest would be if Samsung hired the judge before or during trial as a consultant. Samsung obviously liked the reasoning of the judge. And the judge is an EXPERT in his field. Who better to hire when you're going after another competitor (note: NOT APPLE) than someone who is an expert and someone you already are in line with when it comes to these disputes. Please tell me why you think this is a conflict of interest? Apple's not even involved in this anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
A judge who doesn't see patent infringement and even made Apple apologize where Judge Koh saw one with a damage of $1B.
And in other news - Apple's ONLY winning suit was in the US. Everywhere else they lost. Is Judge Koh now the only judge who could possibly have an opinion?
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:12 AM   #41
AppleFan1984
macrumors 6502

I think I'm missing something - while it may be a matter of poor taste (not atypical for Samsung), is there some evidence that this arrangement was made prior to the judge's decision against Apple?
AppleFan1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:12 AM   #42
econgeek
macrumors 6502

Like I said in the past, that judge lacks integrity.

Remember this is a ruling that required Apple to tell a lie, a blatant lie, and to tell that lie publicly. That's the definition of corruption.
Apple complied with an outrageous and corrupt ruling by publishing the exact comments of the judge.

Saying they "lack integrity" by doing so presumes that Apple has no right of free speech and that they were suppose to kiss the judge's asses (which they did, but apparently with not enough tongue).

Those judges are corrupt.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:13 AM   #43
terryzx
macrumors member

I'd say that is grounds for appeal and a new lawsuit
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:14 AM   #44
Oletros
macrumors 603

My God, Oracle and Microsoft paid blogger Florian Mueller has accomplished what he wanted, spreading FUD.

Judge Jacob was not the one making the ruling, the ruling was made by Judge Blirss on July, Apple appealed and THREE judges backed this ruling (well, they lowered it).

But it is better to imply corruption without any shame
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:15 AM   #45
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Assuming the hiring is above board, its still inappropriate coming so soon after the Samsung/Apple ruling. The golden rule for people in positions of authority in government is, not only must they avoid a conflict of interest but they must avoid the appearance of a conflict. This former judge should be ashamed of himself.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Judge Koh AND the jury said exactly the same about the iPad patents, they are not infringed by Samsung.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgeek View Post

Remember this is a ruling that required Apple to tell a lie, a blatant lie, and to tell that lie publicly. That's the definition of corruption.
Apple complied with an outrageous and corrupt ruling by publishing the exact comments of the judge.
And like in the past you are wrong.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #47
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgeek View Post

Saying they "lack integrity" by doing so presumes that Apple has no right of free speech and that they were suppose to kiss the judge's asses (which they did, but apparently with not enough tongue).

Those judges are corrupt.
No. Apple wasn't forced to tell a lie. You clearly don't recall the sequence of events, what Apple actually ordered to state (nothing of which was a lie). Apple did not post specifically what the court ordered and was thereby ordered to change their ad.

Absolutely ridiculous statements.Stop spreading FUD.
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #48
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
knemonic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:17 AM   #49
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
Assuming the hiring is above board, its still inappropriate coming so soon after the Samsung/Apple ruling. The golden rule for people in positions of authority in government is, not only must they avoid a conflict of interest but they must avoid the appearance of a conflict. This former judge should be ashamed of himself.
Please tell me how much time needs to pass for it to no longer look "suspect."

A year? Two? 10?
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:18 AM   #50
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Could you have a better adviser than that when filing for patents? Next up, the new Samsung Galaxy S4:
Thumb resize.
Why would Samsung want to copy an already out of date screen size and OS? They have a very good thing going with the screen sizes they offer and whether you like it or not Android is a very capable OS. I think you're taking this a little to personal
dkersten is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion