Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Let's buy a judge.:cool:

Samsung wouldn't bribe a public official, would they?

It's a conspiracy...

*Gets tinfoil hat*

Instead of a tinfoil hat, you could Google "Samsung Corruption" or "Samsung Bribery" and find actual cases that Samsung's CEO was convicted of and pardoned for by the South Korean government which is in his pocket.

Just saying....

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
"Implying foul play" is plenty of reason, isn't it?

Apple is probably free to put this onto their website. "On order of Judge soandso, who is now paid as a consultant for Samsung, we'd like to tell you that Samsung phones are the greatest phones. Believe it or not. "

Only if they want to be sued for libel and risk imprisonment for contempt of court.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Only if they want to be sued for libel and risk imprisonment for contempt of court.

Libel can only be used in non-factual statements. While there is certainly a negative implication, the quoted sentence does explicitly say that the judge works for Samsung now and didn't before (though admittedly English structure can make that unclear).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Love all the tin foil hats people are wearing. This stuff happens all the time. And by this stuff - I don't mean what's being implied on this thread. I mean hiring EXPERTS as consultants.

No. Hiring judges who formerly ruled on your case as an expert in another matter does NOT happen all the time. This is in fact highly unusual and would probably be unethical in the United States.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I just find it rather odd that this is allowed. I guess if I was putting a judicial system in place I wouldn't want the lines between judge and consultant be blurred by allowing someone to both rule over and give advice to the same person/company.

It would be like having a judge also be a practicing lawyer to me. Kinda weird.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No. Hiring judges who formerly ruled on your case as an expert in another matter does NOT happen all the time. This is in fact highly unusual and would probably be unethical in the United States.

Sure it does. It just doesn't make fan websites because typically - it's non news. As is this. Great click bait. But hardly anything new.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
A judge who doesn't see patent infringement and even made Apple apologize where Judge Koh saw one with a damage of $1B.

Could you have a better adviser than that when filing for patents? Next up, the new Samsung Galaxy S4:
iphone5.jpeg

...but the Judge said it's a original design!!!11 See, it's semi-glossy rather than glossy and the edges are 1 deg. less bent. Completely different phone.
And as fas as the US goes, you get this, and we hope you already forgot about the iPhone 3G design:
samsung_gt_s5230.jpg

Even has widgets.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I feel like this has to be some sort of conflict of interest... Or something that's illegal

No - a conflict of interest would be if Samsung hired the judge before or during trial as a consultant. Samsung obviously liked the reasoning of the judge. And the judge is an EXPERT in his field. Who better to hire when you're going after another competitor (note: NOT APPLE) than someone who is an expert and someone you already are in line with when it comes to these disputes. Please tell me why you think this is a conflict of interest? Apple's not even involved in this anymore.

A judge who doesn't see patent infringement and even made Apple apologize where Judge Koh saw one with a damage of $1B.

And in other news - Apple's ONLY winning suit was in the US. Everywhere else they lost. Is Judge Koh now the only judge who could possibly have an opinion?

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
I think I'm missing something - while it may be a matter of poor taste (not atypical for Samsung), is there some evidence that this arrangement was made prior to the judge's decision against Apple?

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Like I said in the past, that judge lacks integrity.

Remember this is a ruling that required Apple to tell a lie, a blatant lie, and to tell that lie publicly. That's the definition of corruption.
Apple complied with an outrageous and corrupt ruling by publishing the exact comments of the judge.

Saying they "lack integrity" by doing so presumes that Apple has no right of free speech and that they were suppose to kiss the judge's asses (which they did, but apparently with not enough tongue).

Those judges are corrupt.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
My God, Oracle and Microsoft paid blogger Florian Mueller has accomplished what he wanted, spreading FUD.

Judge Jacob was not the one making the ruling, the ruling was made by Judge Blirss on July, Apple appealed and THREE judges backed this ruling (well, they lowered it).

But it is better to imply corruption without any shame

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Assuming the hiring is above board, its still inappropriate coming so soon after the Samsung/Apple ruling. The golden rule for people in positions of authority in government is, not only must they avoid a conflict of interest but they must avoid the appearance of a conflict. This former judge should be ashamed of himself.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Judge Koh AND the jury said exactly the same about the iPad patents, they are not infringed by Samsung.

----------

Remember this is a ruling that required Apple to tell a lie, a blatant lie, and to tell that lie publicly. That's the definition of corruption.
Apple complied with an outrageous and corrupt ruling by publishing the exact comments of the judge.

And like in the past you are wrong.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Saying they "lack integrity" by doing so presumes that Apple has no right of free speech and that they were suppose to kiss the judge's asses (which they did, but apparently with not enough tongue).

Those judges are corrupt.

No. Apple wasn't forced to tell a lie. You clearly don't recall the sequence of events, what Apple actually ordered to state (nothing of which was a lie). Apple did not post specifically what the court ordered and was thereby ordered to change their ad.

Absolutely ridiculous statements.Stop spreading FUD.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Assuming the hiring is above board, its still inappropriate coming so soon after the Samsung/Apple ruling. The golden rule for people in positions of authority in government is, not only must they avoid a conflict of interest but they must avoid the appearance of a conflict. This former judge should be ashamed of himself.

Please tell me how much time needs to pass for it to no longer look "suspect."

A year? Two? 10?

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Could you have a better adviser than that when filing for patents? Next up, the new Samsung Galaxy S4:
iphone5.jpeg

Why would Samsung want to copy an already out of date screen size and OS? They have a very good thing going with the screen sizes they offer and whether you like it or not Android is a very capable OS. I think you're taking this a little to personal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.