Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Is he seriously considering hackintoshing a imac g5?



ROLF!!!
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #27
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus
 
r.j.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Knox
So, your plan is to make this (iMac 20" Intel logic board):

Thumb resize.

fit into the space for this (iMac 20" PPC G5 logic board):

Click image for larger version

Name:	661-3599.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	399896

That's why it won't fit.
r.j.s is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:16 AM   #28
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
The power supply will only work with G5 iMac logicboards, the optical drive is a ATAPI drive that are not very common on Intell desktop motherboards, the screen won't work without you making a new controller board for it and its brightness will be stuck at 100%. Don't forget the speakers, microphone, iSight, power button, IO ports, and IR board. You'll have to make custom connectors for all of those devices after you reverse engineer their protocols.
Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be. I mean the power outputs may be different but the general size etc should be the same. How many different speaker connectors are there? Next you will say the keyboard won't fit!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
So, your plan is to make this (iMac 20" Intel logic board):

Thumb resize.

fit into the space for this (iMac 20" PPC G5 logic board):

Attachment 399896

That's why it won't fit.
Nope not at all my logic board ain't like that on my 17" imac. I'm not going to argue with someone who only wants to see what they want to. I'm not saying this will 100% work without any small mods.
But half of you say I don't have a clue when clearly it's you that doesn't!
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:16 AM   #29
Goftrey
macrumors 68000
 
Goftrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kepler 186F
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be.
1. I don't think you quite get Intell's sense of humour.
2. If you're happy to take a hack saw to the back of the iMac to make the IO fit then by all means do so.
3. There's no such thing as a G5 Intel iMac.
__________________
Mac Pro 4x 2.66GHz, 6GB, 750GB HDD, HD5770 | PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 2GB, 32GB SSD, 9700 | 20" Alu Cinema Display
PowerMac G4 2x 1.42GHz | PowerMac G5 2x 2.3GHz | OnePlus One 64GB | Canon EOS 500D
Goftrey is offline   3
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 AM   #30
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus
 
r.j.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be. I mean the power outputs may be different but the general size etc should be the same. How many different speaker connectors are there? Next you will say the keyboard won't fit!!!

----------


Nope not at all my logic board ain't like that on my 17" imac. I'm not going to argue with someone who only wants to see what they want to. I'm not saying this will 100% work without any small mods.
But half of you say I don't have a clue when clearly it's you that doesn't!
Since you're getting your new logic board from a "g5 intel imac," I'll give this one to you. Have at it - I can't stop you.

However, what you are attempting is impossible. If it were possible, it would have been done, and you'd find instructions online.

BTW, I have a clue - a degree in CS-IT and 20 years experience.
r.j.s is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:20 AM   #31
rabidz7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
It is amazing how other people on this forum are so opposed to new ideas!
rabidz7 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:21 AM   #32
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus
 
r.j.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
It is amazing how other people on this forum are so opposed to new ideas!
This idea isn't new ... it's been discussed since at least 2006.
r.j.s is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:24 AM   #33
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goftrey View Post
1. I don't think you quite get Intell's sense of humour.
2. If you're happy to take a hack saw to the back of the iMac to make the IO fit then by all means do so.
3. There's no such thing as a G5 Intel iMac.
Ok sorry why would I need to hacksaw the back of my existing imac?
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be. I mean the power outputs may be different but the general size etc should be the same. How many different speaker connectors are there? Next you will say the keyboard won't fit!!!

Nope not at all my logic board ain't like that on my 17" imac. I'm not going to argue with someone who only wants to see what they want to. I'm not saying this will 100% work without any small mods.
But half of you say I don't have a clue when clearly it's you that doesn't!
I type the CPU's maker's name like that because it is my username. While the IO ports are built into the logicboard, you won't find any motherboards that have the same alignment. You'll have to make you own board to get the holes to line up. The power supplies in G5's don't have the proper voltages or connectors for any Intell board. You'll have to replace the power supply. The power supply from an Intell iMac won't fit as they have very different mounting points. The speakers will have to have any amplifier. You'll have to provide them with one.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #35
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
It is amazing how other people on this forum are so opposed to new ideas!
Yeah I agree with you there, they all seem to jump on the band wagon

I asked a question which no one has answered, have any of you lot turned your imac g5 PowerPC into and intel one?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I type the CPU's maker's name like that because it is my username. While the IO ports are built into the logicboard, you won't find any motherboards that have the same alignment. You'll have to make you own board to get the holes to line up. The power supplies in G5's don't have the proper voltages or connectors for any Intell board. You'll have to replace the power supply. The power supply from an Intell iMac won't fit as they have very different mounting points. The speakers will have to have any amplifier. You'll have to provide them with one.
So you've put both power supplies next to each other or tried fitting one?
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #36
Goftrey
macrumors 68000
 
Goftrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kepler 186F
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
have any of you lot turned your imac g5 PowerPC into and intel one?
No, and no.
__________________
Mac Pro 4x 2.66GHz, 6GB, 750GB HDD, HD5770 | PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 2GB, 32GB SSD, 9700 | 20" Alu Cinema Display
PowerMac G4 2x 1.42GHz | PowerMac G5 2x 2.3GHz | OnePlus One 64GB | Canon EOS 500D
Goftrey is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:30 AM   #37
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
I type the CPU's maker's name like that because it is my username. While the IO ports are built into the logicboard, you won't find any motherboards that have the same alignment. You'll have to make you own board to get the holes to line up. The power supplies in G5's don't have the proper voltages or connectors for any Intell board. You'll have to replace the power supply. The power supply from an Intell iMac won't fit as they have very different mounting points. The speakers will have to have any amplifier. You'll have to provide them with one.
Also I said if needed ill replace the power supply it's not hard to do is it?
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:30 AM   #38
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Ok sorry why would I need to hacksaw the back of my existing imac?
Compare:
Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

Notice any differences?

EDIT: I just don't see the point. Intel iMacs are cheap and all the work has been done at the factory. At least this guy tends to create things that are new/unique.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:31 AM   #39
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goftrey View Post
No, and no.
Has any of you tried?
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:31 AM   #40
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
So you've put both power supplies next to each other or tried fitting one?
Yes, and they don't fit or connect. There isn't even a way to secure it into the iMac's case.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:32 AM   #41
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Compare:
Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

Notice any differences?

B
Would you like me to take a picture of the back of my imac?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Yes, and they don't fit or connect. There isn't even a way to secure it into the iMac's case.
Then that's fine I'll have to replace the power supply, no big deal
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G

Last edited by dejo; Feb 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Insults.
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Goftrey
macrumors 68000
 
Goftrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kepler 186F
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Ok sorry why would I need to hacksaw the back of my existing imac?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Would you like me to take a picture of the back of my imac?
This is the only way that would be even remotely possible & just compare.




(Depending on G5 model)

That's why you'd need a hack saw.
__________________
Mac Pro 4x 2.66GHz, 6GB, 750GB HDD, HD5770 | PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 2GB, 32GB SSD, 9700 | 20" Alu Cinema Display
PowerMac G4 2x 1.42GHz | PowerMac G5 2x 2.3GHz | OnePlus One 64GB | Canon EOS 500D

Last edited by dejo; Feb 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Goftrey is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:34 AM   #43
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Would you like me to take a picture of the back of my iMac?

Then that's fine I'll have to replace the power supply, no big deal
You'll have a very hard time finding a power supply to fit within the iMac's casing, without the use of a hacksaw.

Last edited by Intell; Feb 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Intell is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:37 AM   #44
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
You'll have a very hard time finding a power supply to fit within the iMac's casing, without the use of a hacksaw.
I have 2 iMacs one has vertical ports the other horizontal ports
__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G

Last edited by dejo; Feb 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Quoted post / response edited.
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:41 AM   #45
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Mod Note: Thread was closed temporarily to let cooler heads prevail. Now that it's re-opened, please remain civil.

Last edited by dejo; Feb 28, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
dejo is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #46
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
OK, so let's assume that the OP is talking about retrofitting an early 2006 G5 iSight model.

According to this the enclosures were the same.

So would it be possible to take the guts from a late 2006 *Core Duo" model and put them in an early 2006/iSight body?

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:39 PM   #47
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
^I'd say so but you'd be better off just getting the Core Duo model.
__________________
iMac G4 17'' 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 15'' Hi-Res 1.67GHz iMac 2012 21.5" 2.9GHz i5
It's spelled "Aluminium"
It's "Couldn't care less" not "Could care less"
ihuman:D is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:51 PM   #48
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
OK, so let's assume that the OP is talking about retrofitting an early 2006 G5 iSight model.

According to this the enclosures were the same.

So would it be possible to take the guts from a late 2006 *Core Duo" model and put them in an early 2006/iSight body?

B
Externally that look the same. However, internally they are vastly different. Notably the placement of the power supply and video cable.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:58 PM   #49
M1keyb77
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Externally that look the same. However, internally they are vastly different. Notably the placement of the power supply and video cable.
Not strictly true. I have a Imac g5 17" All the ports are the same logic board has the same mounting holes, psu is in same position amongst other things. I think some of you are mixing up models. Granted my 20" Imac is totally different in side from the 17"

For one the 20" you remove the back panel to gain access
17" You remove the front screen bezel to gain access

----------

Look at this image top right and middle. One is intel one is power pc. Only difference i see is the colour of the psu which makes me thinl i may need a psu too.

__________________
 Imac 20"  Imac 17"  Ipad 2 wifi + 3G
M1keyb77 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:15 PM   #50
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1keyb77 View Post
Not strictly true. I have a Imac g5 17" All the ports are the same logic board has the same mounting holes, psu is in same position amongst other things. I think some of you are mixing up models. Granted my 20" Imac is totally different in side from the 17"

For one the 20" you remove the back panel to gain access
17" You remove the front screen bezel to gain access

----------

Look at this image top right and middle. One is intel one is power pc. Only difference i see is the colour of the psu which makes me thinl i may need a psu too.

Image
Interesting, I think I may actually have one, my 2.16ghz core 2 duos stand says that its a 1.8ghz imac g5 17inch
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run hardware that prodives PowerPC on an Intel based Macbook Pro? Tantagda MacBook Pro 9 Jan 15, 2014 04:34 AM
iPhone: Does evasi0n require Intel, or can I run it on a 10.5.8 PowerPC iMac? utahman130 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Feb 4, 2013 03:12 PM
PowerPC/Intel compatible COAX SP/DIF USB adapters? barkmonster Digital Audio 0 Dec 20, 2012 11:24 AM
Migration assistant: from PowerPC 10.5 to Intel 10.8 Muffin87 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Jul 25, 2012 05:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC