Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
This is perhaps the dumbest article I've read that's been featured on this site. This is like Soviet propaganda, especially considering one picture is a freaking sketch and the other is a filtered wonder. What kind of emotions do you expect a reader to have? The Large Hadron Collider looks like a disheveled mess too, and it's perhaps one of the most impressive things ever built and in it? Some pretty incredible ideas.

Hmm, this is perhaps the dumbest post I've read. The article use available renderings. And I, nor most of the posters seems to agree with you that the Google campus rendering is unfavourable. It looks genuinely playful and fits google's image. The Apple campus is half-kitch, half-elegance, like most of their products. Where is the propaganda?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Apple's new campus will have a daycare. There are no corners for the misbehaving urchins of Execs to kneel in with this design:eek:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple - Connected ecosystem
Google - Fragmented (even their ideas are this and that)

obviously people can look into things WAY too much....however I saw it as this:

Apple - Cold, closed and controlling
Google - Organised (each department group in their own buildings), messy, open.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I hate to say this but Google's HQ looks like a housing project.
Hardly. Not a single building without a curve in it's layout. Horrible use of space for a housing project considering those are typically made with the intent fitting as many units in as you can.
Apple's new headquarters resembles the name of the street address of its current headquarters -- One Infinite Loop.

On the other hand, the circular design is reminiscent of the United Kingdom's GCHQ -- which is the "listening headquarters" of the UK. In other words, the building where "Big Brother is watching you." The UK's equivalent of the US's NSA.

There is a negative connotation with this in today's world when you think of CISPA and SOPA which can best be portrayed in the 1998 movie "Enemy of the State" where actor Gene Hackman refers to the NSA's supercomputers use in "Project Echelon."

I'm not saying Apple is "Big Brother" ... what I am saying is that its rather difficult for me to view the building and not think about the original circular shaped building located in the UK.

Admittedly I had not seen that building before, but Apple's reminds me more of the old forest or launch arcologies from Sim City 2000

judge2005

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I would lay money on Apple's campus never getting started, or at the very least, never getting finished. It is an all-or-nothing monument to hubris.

In Google's case they can afford to build some or all of it and adapt to changing conditions as they go.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
So what will Samsung's new campus look like?

Aren't they building one in CA? It would be interesting to see.

EDIT: Sounds like expansion: http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/29/samsung-to-build-a-massive-rd-complex-in-silicon-valley/

“Samsung’s expansion in California is great news and it further strengthens the state’s role as a world leader in innovation,” said California Governor Jerry Brown, in a statement back in August. “Here’s a case where government and business work together—and everyone benefits.”

Last edited:

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
To me, Google's headquarters are shaped more like arrows pointing inwards and around, compared to Apple's singular Loop.

When you compare this, obviously aesthetically it gives and impression, but what about for the people actually /working/ there? How do people move about in those spaces?

I'm an apple lover at heart, but I'm not going to lie about wanting to work in an office-type environment similar to that of Google's. Utilising different zones and 'break-out' spaces, categorising and theming different floors and offices with unique features to inspire the individuals inside is fundamental to keeping creative people on-the-go. There is Architecture in that, it's new, it's forward thinking and it's really radical.
Apple's however, its secretive and, though I know some of the mentioned above elements may be true (just no-one has seen much of the inside spaces, there never really has been a need to.) How do people move from one side to the other? What "clusters" fit together? Is there a hierarchy here? The team working on the design here were definitely focusing on making a piece which is timeless and iconic -- much like all of Apple's products and ecosystem in fact.

Stripping the companies from the buildings, though, if you do a little more research into the way these spaces have been made (regardless of what actual products they're trying to achieve are) the work environments inspire totally different things from their users and are inspiring and displaying very different approaches to work. This is what's fascinating to me.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
There's a reason Apple chose a circle.

Connected Ecosystem...from products to software.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Analyzing architecture like this is akin to phrenology.

Hardly. A company's building and layout is absolutely indicative of their culture and mentality. It tells you their level of openness, their acceptance to serendipitous encounters between groups and co-workers, and of course displays their aesthetic preferences. Not really comparable to phrenology, a discredited psudoscience.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I wouldn’t say we don’t have meetings. I wouldn’t go that far. I’m talking about how the kernels of ideas are born. We want ideas coming from all of our 80,000 people, not five or three. A much smaller number of people have to decide and edit and move forward, but you want ideas coming from everywhere. You want people to explore. So that’s what I was talking about before.

Sure, but how does that translate into the real world? Google says "go ahead, explore your idea on company time, see what happens". I get the impression Apple would say "That's great that you have an idea, but we really need you focused on the development of the iPhone 6."

Disclaimer: I don't work at either company, so obviously I don't know first hand, I'm only inferring based on the stories I hear. I do know a few people who work(ed) at Apple.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'd rather work at Google

I'd rather work at Google. If I had to get to a meeting in a another dept, I am confident that I could walk there as-the-bird-fliles, judging by that rendering.
The Apple building looks like it would be an endless long hallway, constantly counting the door numbers until you get to "red 11-A" and not "orange 11-A".
Square buildings may look dorky, but these various architectural stunts are a PITA to navigate.

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Apple's new headquarters resembles the name of the street address of its current headquarters -- One Infinite Loop.

On the other hand, the circular design is reminiscent of the United Kingdom's GCHQ -- which is the "listening headquarters" of the UK. In other words, the building where "Big Brother is watching you." The UK's equivalent of the US's NSA.

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/Pages/homepage.aspx

There is a negative connotation with this in today's world when you think of CISPA and SOPA which can best be portrayed in the 1998 movie "Enemy of the State" where actor Gene Hackman refers to the NSA's supercomputers use in "Project Echelon."

I'm not saying Apple is "Big Brother" ... what I am saying is that its rather difficult for me to view the building and not think about the original circular shaped building located in the UK.

Both circular buildings and both organisations highly secretive (dons tin foil hat and starts to develop an implausible and yet by its very nature, a plausible conspiracy theory). :)

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
It would be cool if there was a rounded square pathway or something in the middle courtyard at the Apple building. Then it would look like a giant home button from the sky!

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
The Apple structure looks clean and well defined in my opinion while the Google structure looks like a fragmented airport. Either way, they both are spending big bucks. Lets hope some great new ideas and products are released from both.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I'd rather work at Google. If I had to get to a meeting in a another dept, I am confident that I could walk there as-the-bird-fliles, judging by that rendering.
The Apple building looks like it would be an endless long hallway, constantly counting the door numbers until you get to "red 11-A" and not "orange 11-A".
Square buildings may look dorky, but these various architectural stunts are a PITA to navigate.

Or you can walk across through the center, like any other building with a courtyard. At any rate, Apple's teams are kept largely isolated from one another, as part of their secrecy. If you work at Apple, you go to your part of the spaceship, and that's that. I'm sure related teams are close to each other, and mostly it's the high level executives that actually need to visit various areas in a given day.

And hey, let's not forget Apple's emphasis on video chat. I'm sure these people can easily fire up Messages or FaceTime if they have to.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Please tell me there'll be a giant circular travelator!!! People could hop on and off to get around the building or stop and chat while admiring the view around 360 degrees! They could have rest bars on it so people that want to stop don't get in the way of walkers...

That would be brilliant!!!

I find Apple's building to be harmonious, thoughtful and beautiful. A statement of purpose and longevity and of creating a utopian future. Google's is disjointed, jarring and disorganised like they don't really know where they're going or want to go.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
It may also help to keep in perspective that a nice looking workplace could be, but is not necessarily, an indicator of what it's like to work there.

I remember interviewing for a software engineering position, and being really impressed by the lab space I was being shown. The entrance to the lab was in a giant all-glass wall, with the company logo tastefully acid-etched into the panels. Inside, the lab was clean, brightly lit, wires were run cleanly, employees were smiling and watching "The Lord of the Rings" on a laptop while they were working.

I remember thinking "Wow, this is so nice, I could definitely work here".

Well, that company was Nortel. I think everyone knows how that one turned out.

McOndo

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Apple's campus is stupid, and makes not a lick of sense. Circular? With buildings on the perimeter? It's almost as if they want to separate their employees as much as possible.

And yes, I felt compelled to register just to post this. It's atrocious. They should level the courtyard and place a windowed tower in the center, they'd at least have a serviceable panopticon then. :apple:

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Apple's campus is stupid, and makes not a lick of sense. Circular? With buildings on the perimeter? It's almost as if they want to separate their employees as much as possible.

And yes, I felt compelled to register just to post this. It's atrocious. They should level the courtyard and place a windowed tower in the center, they'd at least have a serviceable panopticon then.

What is this, a prison?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

And yes, I felt compelled to register just to post this. It's atrocious. They should level the courtyard and place a windowed tower in the center, they'd at least have a serviceable panopticon then. :apple:

What is this, a prison?

Not a prison by function, it only employes similar visual cues and spacial organization. If anyone from the architect's office had these concerns about the architectural imagery, I doubt they'd have expressed them to Steve Jobs. They'd have walked out of that meeting with their head in their back pocket.

The real tragedy of this building is that it's retrograde as both architecture and land planning. It harkens back to the day when corporate campuses were monumental and isolated from the urban grid. This concept fell out of favor 30 years ago. It took Apple to revive it in such a big way.

Yes. It's a circle, so it has a center point. Which in this case, is missing.

But just think how nice it will look from the air.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I'm more intrigued by what the style of the renderings might have to say.

As others have mentioned, the Google drawings look like a Disney architectural rendering for one of their Value resorts (Pop Century and Art of Animation in particular). The intended audience is the end-users, "You'll have fun vacationing... uh, working here."

The Apple drawings take an inspirational approach, especially with that low-angle bright sun (cue the choir of angels). You could almost say the halo has a halo. I don't think it's aimed at the end-user in particular. The point is to inspire a feeling about the company that speaks to the public, investors, customers, Wall St. analysts, and city planning commission members. From the standpoint of the prospective or current employee, it's not whether the building will be a great place to work, but that Apple is a great company to work for, whether you work in the capitol building or the Ulaanbaatar retail store.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I think they both look great, but aesthetically Apple's iconic work of art will be the one that is remembered and have photos of if published in architecture magazines/sites everywhere.

I'd bet once these are both built, Google's building will be surrounded by parking lots, and Apple's will still have all the trees around it.

renderingfull.jpg

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
What a load of elitist drivel. Apple do hold design in high regard, and its part of why I love their products but you're talking absolute nonsense. You aren't born with aesthetic sense, you develop it. Obviously, if you've got to adulthood and not developed it by that point, it's probably not going to come but to posit that it's something you're born with is utter nonsense. Grow up.

So you're saying that everyone could be the next Leonardo DaVinci?
Not just anyone but everyone. Riiiiiggggghhhhtttt.

"Leonardo Da Vinci combined art and science and aesthetics and engineering, that kind of unity is needed once again."
- Ben Shneiderman

Why can't we all just get along?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.