Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
Taiwan's Commercial Times reports [Google translation] on a new research note from Barclays analyst Kirk Yang claiming that Apple is indeed preparing both an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone for launch in the August/September timeframe.

Yang notes that each of the devices will be available in two models: one supporting the standard frequency-division duplexing (FDD) technology used in most of the world and one supporting the time-division duplexing (TDD) used by China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. The report claims that Pegatron has received orders for the FDD version of the lower-cost iPhone, while Foxconn will be building the remaining three models.

The report claims that Apple is still weighing production volume for the new phones, working to estimate how much the lower-cost iPhone will cut into iPhone 5S sales and still gauging appropriate volumes for an expansion to China Mobile. Regardless, Apple does expect total iPhone shipments to be higher than last year's levels.

Yang's report conflicts with a report yesterday from Mac Otakara, which claimed that Apple's lower-cost iPhone is not likely to appear until 2014. It is, however, more in line with a roadmap outlined in January by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a strong track record in predicting Apple's plans.

Just over a month ago, iLounge shared some details on Apple's lower-cost iPhone, noting that it appears something like a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch, with rear edge curves reminiscent of the iPod classic. The report claimed that the device will be half a millimeter taller and wider and one millimeter thicker than the iPhone 5 in order to account for the thicker plastic casing.

Article Link: Analyst Says iPhone 5S and Cheaper iPhone Coming in August/September With China Mobile Support

Slackula

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2003
Do you think we will see the cheaper iPhone available for the pre-paid iPhione plans?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sigh. The only fact we know is a new iPhone will be released in 2013! I think I need a check for being "Analyst of the Year".

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
It does not matter, to me, what Apple comes out with this year because I cannot upgrade. I will be excited about rumors next year. :D

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I believe the 5S will launch in june. I also believe that this rumor is leaked by apple so people would not hold off in buying the 5 now if the 5S come out in september.

And I also consider myself an expert in Apple related things, and I shall call myself an analyst.

:D

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I believe the 5S will launch in june. I also believe that this rumor is leaked by apple so people would not hold off in buying the 5S now if its come out in september.

Close. The leak is meant to stop the hemorrhaging stock price. But at the moment, that doesn't appear to be working as it's still tanking. :eek:

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
The whole idea of a cheaper phone seems anathema to apple's image as a premium brand. They could get away with offering a size range, but a cheaper, crappier phone sounds like capitulation and would finally bury the influence of Steve Jobs and lead apple back to mediocrity.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
If we're getting a new phone in August, does that mean iOS7 would be out at the same time? Preview in March or WWDC?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Do you think we will see the cheaper iPhone available for the pre-paid iPhione plans?

That's what it is allegedly why it is being released

I wish there was a three strikes rule with Apple fauxnnouncments. After three mistakes you are banned from very saying anything about what Apple is doing unless the source is Apple themselves. Including product discussion, sales numbers etc. sites, analysts etc

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Apple really boxes themselves in (pun fully intended) with the shape of the iPhone.

It reminds me of the old DEVO song:

Cube top, squared off
Eight corners, 90-degree angles
Flat top, stares straight ahead
Stock parts, blockhead

If Apple were to adopt a more sinuous shape that felt nicer in the hand, then variations and improvements to the form factor would be easy. But so long as they stick to the "squared-off, eight corners, 90-degree angle" aesthetic of the i4 and the i5, there's nowhere to go.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Since we are all entitled to our opinions, I do think that a new phone will come out this summer instead of regular September/October release. The reason: Apple has already been criticized by many for keeping the OS "limited/boring/unchanged" and Samsung is coming out with S4 soon. Apple cannot afford to wait till September. Yes, they are doing well, but, in business world, they want to do better.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sigh. The only fact we know is a new iPhone will be released in 2013! I think I need a check for being "Analyst of the Year".

Define 'new'. Some folks say its only new when they redesign it

Also we don't KNOW, regardless of design, that they are. It isn't fact until the announcement. Rather like how we knew the iPhone 4S would be in early summer just like the four before it. Until it wasn't

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple really boxes themselves in (pun fully intended) with the shape of the iPhone.

If Apple were to adopt a more sinuous shape that felt nicer in the hand, then variations and improvements to the form factor would be easy. But so long as they stick to the "squared-off, eight corners, 90-degree angle" aesthetic of the i4 and the i5, there's nowhere to go.
I agree 100%. They can't keep the same flat/square/slab shape and go larger. It'd be terrible to hold and to pocket. The new HTC figured this out with a nice rounded back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.