Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
Whatevers . . .

Forget about the low end. Apple's focus is the higher end. I bet a larger high-end iPhone is much more likely and important to apple than a cheaper same-sized one.

Others such as Gruber believe that a larger iphone with ipad resolution is a real possibility and they are consistently accurate unlike the widely inaccurate anal-systs.

Think about the battery life and performance apple will get out of a larger phone with ipad resolution! It will be my next phone for sure and it will completely mop up the competition.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Whatever comes out, your not getting me again Apple with the "S" model

Unless you purposely make iOS 7 so damn heavy that it makes even the 5 slow

I can see that happening :rolleyes:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I feel like Apple is slowly losing it. If it wasn't for the cloud services and my investment in iOS apps I would have left already.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I like how you put the word "Analyst" first so we would know to quit reading immediately.

Anyone know of another recent, popular "Analyst" claim that never actually materialized?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Close. The leak is meant to stop the hemorrhaging stock price. But at the moment, that doesn't appear to be working as it's still tanking. :eek:

not really. the stock price is among the highest its ever been for a couple decades. its higher than their competitors. and, more importantly, apple has billions upon billions in the bank. they dont care about the rigged games wallstreet plays nearly as much as investors do.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Really don't like the direction they took with 5. Much prefer the 4s. 5 is too light, thin and I will not just *adapt* so I guess I'm on 4s for years. Which is fine by me.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I go with the S upgrades

S stands for SUPER

I wish there were more talk about the iPhone 5S than the unappealing plastic cheap iPhone. I'd prefer they not even make such an item.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
So at this point the last 5+ years or so, we've had a March event schedule and ready to go.

Very disappointed that it seems March/Apple are going to be so quiet.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple still does not get it.

Releasing cheaper model would be the right move but they also have to lower the price of the original iPhone. Currently iPhone has the lowest BOM (bill of materials) among the high end smart phones and yet Apple charges much more for its phone. People are not stupid.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I got to use the Retina iPhone 4 a whole year before you got it.

I get lightening speed LTE service and an even more beautiful display on my iPhone5 while you have to wait.

I would never trade the 'non-S' cycle for the 'S' cycle.

What would you do if Apple skipped the 'S' model one year and introduced a redesigned model, putting you on the 'S' cycle? I think Apple will have to put out something better than a '5S' this year to stop their stock from tanking. A lighter iPad 5 won't be enough either.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
not really. the stock price is among the highest its ever been for a couple decades. its higher than their competitors. and, more importantly, apple has billions upon billions in the bank. they dont care about the rigged games wallstreet plays nearly as much as investors do.

While 431ish isn't anything to scoff out.
your statement isn't right.

Apple Stock was trading for as much as $705.07 high in the last 6 month period. Today is at it's 6 month low of 431, for another daily drop of 2.3%

Its still a great place compared to years past, but there is a clear indication by investors that there is a lot of concern in Apple's possible future growth.

Apple is in a great financial position, but that great financial position is also hurting their investor relationship. People invest money in stocks and corporations in order to make money. Increased revenues don't mean more money in the shareholders pockets if the profits aren't increasing alongside those revenues. Apple had a record breaking revenue making year last year, But the Profit was the same. indicating smaller margins, stronger competition, and a potential that Apple isn't the "cash cow' to investors that it was earlier speculated.

Sitting on the 130+ billion in cash is also not a good thing for investors. thats 130 million that is not being put into the economy. 130+ billion that isn't being put through the pipelines and is not being returned to investors.

Why invest in a stock (which is a statement of ownership) if you're not going to reap benefits from owning that stock? you don't buy stock just to say "hey, my name is on a piece of paper owning .00001% of a company!". Investers invest to make money. And those who have the money to invest do not believe Apple will continue to increase profits and make them more money

But also: it's not the highest value dollar stock in the industry. Google is currently trading at 806 / share. Smaller market cap, but on a per share basis, it's perceived that Google will return more back to the investor than apple

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
MacBookPro13";16927777 said:
I'm waiting for the 8th generation. My iPhone 5 should hold up nicely until then :)

You mean iPhone 6? (Genuine question)

I'm debating between getting an iPhone 5 ASAP or waiting it out until the 5S. Either way I'll be moving on to the iPhone 6 after.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
So it's safe to say that we won't see a screen size increase for the flagship model this year?
My iPhone 4 may have to last a bit longer.(but I think the next iOS will cripple it)

anberlinairlift

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Charlotte Hall, MD
Good Jesus I can't wait. My iPhone 4 is on its last leg. It's been in an Otterbox since I bought it, so physically it looks brand new. It's about as fast as a freakin' Compaq desktop computer from 2001 though, that's the problem....

Jiz

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
3 iPhone lineup

There will be 3 different iPhones announced.

1. iWatch Phone;
This will be the limited function iPhone for the 3rd world.
The functionality will increase if you have an iPhone or iPad nearby.

2. iPhone;
The current standard premium iPhone.

3. iPhone Max;
This fits in between the iPhone and iPad Mini.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If Apple really makes the 5S like they have been with the 3GS and 4S, the competition will steal A LOT of marketshare.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
You heard it here first folks. The "cheaper iPhone" is...

... iPhone 4S. :D

Once the 5S is out, the 4S will be "cheap" enough for China Mobile customers. All this garbage about Apple going out of its way to build something cheap for the masses, doesn't it sound a bit odd to everyone here?

It should, because Apple doesn't roll like that. Case in point: Netbooks. They didn't know how to build a cheap quality laptop, and I can guarantee the same applies to phones. ;)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If Apple really makes the 5S like they have been with the 3GS and 4S, the competition will steal A LOT of marketshare.

Is market share really that important when the majority of android phone manufacturers are barely breaking even due to intense competition? Likewise, Apple basically sold out. They had problems manufacturing enough iPhones to sell, so I am not sure if there is a point to creating more demand when you cannot meet the supply.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Who on earth wants a 5s? if Apple don't wake up to a larger screen size then they are dumber than I thought. I am sitting with an old friend today both of us being Mac & iPhone users for many years, pulls out a new Galaxy S3, he said he just couldn't turn down the deal, he needed a new phone and wanted a second iPad, they offered him a cut price S3 and a free Samsung tablet, ok it's not an iPad he says but for free its fantastic.

And to top it all having had an iPhone for years he really likes it, he says it's not as far off the quality of his old iPhone than he thought and the no 1 thing he likes is the large screen!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple Stock was trading for as much as $705.07 high in the last 6 month period. Today is at it's 6 month low of 431, for another daily drop of 2.3%

regardless, it's in the highest range it's been in for most of apples life. that's great.

there is a clear indication by investors that there is a lot of concern in Apple's possible future growth.

if you think apple is worried about pandering to the worries of investors then you don't know apple. they worry about two things: 1) making great products. the best they can. 2) earning a profit from said products.

and they deliver on both -- apple is making the best products in its existence, and it's making the most profit in its existence. by the only metric that matters to business -- profit -- apple is doing smashingly and continues to dominate its industries, from pc to mobile.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
regardless, it's in the highest range it's been in for most of apples life. that's great.

if you think apple is worried about pandering to the worries of investors then you don't know apple. they worry about two things: 1) making great products. the best they can. 2) earning a profit from said products.

and they deliver on both -- apple is making the best products in its existence, and it's making the most profit in its existence. by the only metric that matters to business -- profit -- apple is doing smashingly and continues to dominate its industries, from pc to mobile.

you're right in the sense that the stock market doesn't actually impact company performance. didn't mean to make that correlation if it was implied. Stock market isn't useless, but trading stock generally doesn't actually affect the company anymore. After the IPO, none of the purchases of stock put money directly into company.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
If they don't introduce a new larger phone (which they won't), then iOS7 better be amazing and bring something new or I will most likely switch to one of the competition. I'm looking forward to trying the new Blackberry (both the Z10 and Q10 when it is released) as well as the S4 and Note 3 when they come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.