Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FOSS Patents reports that judge Lucy Koh has struck nearly half of the $1 billion in damages awarded to Apple in its patent lawsuit against Samsung last August, calling for a new trial to set revised damage amounts for the affected portions of the judgment.
The $450 million amount [struck from the damage award] corresponds to 14 Samsung products, with respect to which a new damages trial must be held because the court cannot make the adjustments it deems necessary for legal reasons: the jury set only one damages figure per product, but half a dozen different intellectual property rights were found infringed, resulting in a lack of clarity as to what portion of a per-product damages figure is attributable to a given intellectual property right.
apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Judge Koh agreed with Samsung's lawyers that the jury had erred in some of its damage calculations for the 14 affected Samsung products, meaning that a new trial must be held to determine what the damages should be for those devices.

FOSS Patents notes that Apple remains entitled to nearly $600 million in damages from the original judgement, as well as whatever a new jury decides the damages should be for the 14 devices included in the retrial, and interest. Apple is also seeking supplemental damages that have yet to be determined.

The new trial covering the 14 Samsung devices will likely not be heard until appeals of the original ruling have played out, meaning that is likely to be some time before any revised damages are decided.

Article Link: Judge Voids Nearly Half of Apple's $1 Billion Judgment Against Samsung, Calls for New Trial to Settle Revised Damages

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I wonder if the remaining payment will even cover Apple expenses on lawyers.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Both companies should settle out of court and stop this nonsense.
Get back to innovation!

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
I know almost nothing about the law. Who pays for all the court time in corporate lawsuits like this? The loser? Taxpayers?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Both companies should settle out of court and stop this nonsense.
Get back to innovation!

Problem is Samsung doesn't think they've done anything wrong so ... Apple is left with the options of either doing nothing or taking them to court.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You are being unfair. Lucy awarded Apple by far the highest payment. I believe Apple got nothing from all other lawsuits. After all Lucy is Apple's home judge.

Lucy awarded nothing. The jury awarded Apple.

I'm wondering if she is going to be the next expert witness on samsungs payroll.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
How exactly results this in 45% less damage?

That $450 million is the total amount the jury awarded for those 14 devices. But while the various devices were ruled by the jury to infringe various combinations of multiple patents, the jury only listed a single dollar amount for each one.

The judge ruling that the jury screwed up on the application of certain patent-device combinations, but she can't recalculate damages for those devices because the jury didn't break down how much each patent contributed to the total amount per device.

So she has to throw out the total amounts for those devices and have a new trial to allow a jury to decide that. Some or most of that $450 million may be restored by the new jury.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Stock will probably be 400 by end of next week. Wonder if Apple will respond.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
So much for everyone that said the whole thing would be thrown out

"nearly $600 million in damages" That is huge, and like a previous poster said, I wonder how much of the thrown out amount will be restored.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Lucy awarded nothing. The jury awarded Apple.

I'm wondering if she is going to be the next expert witness on samsungs payroll.

How quick we start to accuse judges of corruption when their rulings doesn't please us.

By the way, if you want to accuse someone of being on Samsung payroll, accuse the jury. They couldn't did it worst in the damages awarding not splitting them by patent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.