Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its YouTube for iOS app, making its "Send to TV" feature available for the iPhone and the iPad.

Send to TV lets users pair iDevices with televisions that support Google TV, allowing YouTube content to be streamed directly to the television. The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV.

youtubeupdate.jpg
With the new feature, YouTube users on the same Wi-Fi network can control video playback on the TV and create playlists using the app. Send to TV also functions with both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, though use with consoles requires manual pairing with the iOS app.

YouTube has also been updated with YouTube Capture integration, stability improvements, and improved streaming over slow Wi-Fi connections.

The universal YouTube app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If only my TV, that I bought in 2006, would fail on me, I could buy a smart TV and use the streaming feature. :D

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Pretty soon, some user is going to discover a gesture that pulls the YouTube UI up to reveal the latest version of Android running in the background.

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV but with the need to purchase Google TV or select Samsung TV models.

There fixed it for you.

Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.

No good can come from this. Although, it is curious that such a basic feature has not been implemented.

LizChud

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Youtube is a lot faster for me. I couldn't watch ANYTHING before. I am very pleased with this update!!

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.

Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.

I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I actually stumbled upon this yesterday before the app was updated when I was using the mobile website on my PS3 it asked if I wanted to pair with my iPhone so I did it. Neat feature if you don't have an Apple TV, which I do though

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Works great. However I have been using imediashare and I find loading YouTube on my tv takes longer in order to use the native app.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

Clap clap Google.

I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).

Huh? :confused:

You can still AirPlay right from the YouTube App:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 216

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden

No, it doesn't work very well. It still doesn't allow background play, so it requires you to have to YouTube app being the active app at all times while watching. You can't even lock/turn off the screen. It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.

Last edited:

tarun101

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008

Clap clap Google.

Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
... It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.

Apple should have opened AirPlay, or made licensing it much more attractive.

Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.

Is it good for Google? Sure.

But it's Apple's greed that makes it possible.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada

I have an iPhone 4 and the original iPad, so I'm definitely not using AirPlay mirroring to make it work. It's there, and the device can even go to sleep and it keeps playing.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.

How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?

You must also pair your iPhone with your PS3. To do this go into the "sign in & settings" and select "pair device". Then go into your iPhone YouTube app settings, select "pair YouTube TV", and input the code it gives you on your PS3.

Why the app can't be smart and automatically detect devices registered to your account is beyond me.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
If you still can't stream your purchased videos to one of the game consoles, its still not ready for prime time. Most people already have an XBox or PlayStation. The YouTube app on the PS3 doesn't allow me to play purchased videos. Can't speak for the XBox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.