Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Swatch CEO Nick Hayek does not believe that the a potential iWatch could replace the iPhone, reports Bloomberg. At a press conference in Grenchen, Switzerland, Hayek implied that an Apple smart watch would be a flop because of its small display size.
"Personally, I don't believe it's the next revolution," the chief of the largest Swiss watchmaker said at a press conference on annual results in Grenchen, Switzerland. "Replacing an iPhone with an interactive terminal on your wrist is difficult. You can't have an immense display."
Hayek also mentioned that consumers buy watches as a fashion item and prefer versatility, a statement that may be off base considering the current popularity of smart watches like the Pebble.

Swatch used to sell its own version of a smart watch through a partnership with Microsoft. The Swatch Paparazzi offered users news headlines, sports, weather, horoscopes, and stock quotes.

paparazzi.jpg

The company has been in contact with Apple for several years, said Hayek, speaking about "materials for products and so-called energy harvesting technology that would generate energy from physical movement."

There are no concrete hints on what Apple's iWatch might look like, but a patent application suggests that Apple might be considering a wraparound design with a touchscreen and a flexible glass display. The watch is rumored to run the full version of iOS, but a release date remains unclear.

Article Link: Swatch CEO Says iWatch Isn't the Next Revolution

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Just like in 2006 when palm said apple had no chance to be successful with a phone.

iNVERSE

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
I think the CEO is missing the point. I don't believe the iWatch is supposed to replace the iPhone, but instead complement the iPhone.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Of course it can't replace a phone. Its a watch. Will never be able to do what a smartphone can.

----------

Famous last words?

You think Swatch is going anywhere? They're the largest watch company in the world, and they make some of the best watchs in the world. I highly doubt they'll go anywhere.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Swatch used to sell its own version of a smart watch through a partnership with Microsoft. The Swatch Paparazzi offered users news headlines, sports, weather, horoscopes, and stock quotes.

Here's the problem with this guy's analysis. They tried it, probably with poor implementation and lack of the killer app (where's email?), cluttered with bs (horoscopes?!), and it didn't pan out. So therefore, Apple couldn't do any better.

salmon

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
This bodes well for Apple stock, if its competitors are underestimating them again!

Of course it wouldn't 1 for 1 replace the phone, dummy. But I'd rather have a watch (for simple interactions, and the communications) and a tablet (for more detailed content) that work well together, than a phone.

Really, smart phones are kind of occupying that "netbook" place right now. We want to be continually connected, but the phone screens are awkward. Watch and tablet is a good model, IMO.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Yes...I'm sure Apple will kill off the worlds largest watch company that makes some of the best watches in the world...I'm sure people will trade in a swatch for an iWatch :rolleyes:

Not sure if there was sarcasm or not but one word... "Nokia"

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I don't recall anyone ever saying an iWatch would replace iPhones. As an accessory, I would definitely be open to seeing what the watch is capable of, however.

To assume it will flop without even knowing what it will look like and what it will do is incredibly asinine. It only opens him up to humility in the long run.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
its going to be a small revolution, but more like "geeky revolution" for geeks. Normal everyday people use watch as a fashion extra/addon, and not usefulness.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I agree with Swatch, and I would also add that the iWatch would not be able to replace hybrid cars, either, so it's definitely not going to be a revolution. It also won't replace toasters, which is a shame. Come on Apple, it's time to innovate!

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
iWatch = iAmOutOfIdeas :rolleyes:

What's the next big thing Apple? A watch and a TV aren't it.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
its going to be a small revolution, but more like "geeky revolution" for geeks. Normal everyday people use watch as a fashion extra/addon, and not usefulness.

What did normal everyday people use their phones for prior to the smartphone?

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Yes...I'm sure Apple will kill off the worlds largest watch company that makes some of the best watches in the world...I'm sure people will trade in a swatch for an iWatch :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, just like 5 years ago with phones. I'm not saying this will be the case, but if history taught you anything ...

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
iWatch = iAmOutOfIdeas :rolleyes:

What's the next big thing Apple? A watch and a TV aren't it.

Please enlighten us as to what this watch and TV do. Since you seem to know that Apple cannot possibly improve on the current offerings. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.