Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tmonews reports that T-Mobile is prepping an anti-AT&T ad campaign in retaliation against the full page anti-T-Mobile ads that AT&T released last week.

AT&T's ads, which were posted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today, criticized T-Mobile for dropped calls and slow download speeds.

T-Mobile's retaliatory ads question why AT&T attempted to buy the carrier if T-Mobile's network is so unsatisfactory.

tmobileads.jpg
The war between AT&T and T-Mobile began in January, when T-Mobile CEO John Legere called the AT&T network "crap," though the relationship between the two carriers soured after AT&T failed to purchase T-Mobile following objections from the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.

T-Mobile is currently in the process of restructuring, with a plan to eliminate device subsidies and initiate lower monthly plan costs. The company plans to offer Apple products at some point in 2013.

According to Tmonews, the ads are proof prints that have been sent to T-Mobile for final approval, which means they could hit newspapers at any time.

Article Link: T-Mobile Retaliates Against AT&T's Negative Ad Campaign With New Anti-AT&T Ads

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
It seems T-Mobile may have won this little tete-a-tete.

I don't know much about US networks but AT&T comes off looking pretty bad for resorting to negative tactics and being one upped.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Kudos to T-Mobile. Those AT&T ads were out of order and also completely flawed.

People in glass houses...

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I'm happy now that AT&T never bought T-Mobile. Originally I supported it, but oh how ignorant I was. :rolleyes:

This war is pretty entertaining though, and hopefully forces both companies to become more competitive. :D

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
And yet, when it comes down to it, AT&T has the iPhone and T-Mobile does not, so everyone will choose AT&T anyway.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
AT&T deserves this after their unnecessary ads attacking T-Mobile. I think they are getting worried about T-Mobile's new pricing.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Problem with T Mobile

Problem with T Mobile unless you are in a city were they are covered there coverage sucks - not sure if they are hurting or what they just removed several of there towers in the area were i live and almost completely disappeared. I think why AT&T wanted them was for there tower coverage - cheaper to buy out a company and take over there towers then to lease and buy new towers. The cost per tower of a buy out would be a fraction of the cost of building new towers to cover more area. All phone companys suck as do cable company all they want is total domination and really do not care about the customer all they really care is the bottom line make as much money as possible while screwing the customer of over bloated plans and poor service. T Mobile is only as good as the coverage - watch out for hidden costs they will try to under cut the competition then bit you in the ass later - they all do it in one form or another.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
All these "cheap shot" adverts are beyond pathetic - people need to grow up.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
HAHA! Take that AT&T! Too bad T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage where I live and work, else I'd switch in a heartbeat.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Idiots. They want to buy your customers, not your network. Who works at T-Mobile?

They actually wanted to buy their wireless spectrum (with the customers as a bonus), but the average consumer doesn't know that. The ads are fine from that perspective.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I hate negative ads .... please advertise your products, show why your products are great - do not attack your competition, that is not what I want to hear - I want to hear what you have to offer me, not negative BS (this goes to both, AT&T and T-Mobile and also all the other companies). If you have to resort to this kind of attacks, that just shows me you don't have to offer anything (same for the I'm a Mac ads - but at least they were somewhat funny)

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Idiots. They want to buy your customers, not your network. Who works at T-Mobile?

Apparently T-Mobile has enough customers who use that "crappy" network that AT&T wants to buy them. Also it looks like AT&T needs to buy customers instead of letting them freely choose their network.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Attack adds they all do it

AT&T deserves this after their unnecessary ads attacking T-Mobile. I think they are getting worried about T-Mobile's new pricing.

All phone companys attack each other it is the nature of the business attact as many people u can so u can screw them laters TMoble is not different then Verizon, Sprint or AT&T they all do it in the name of who can dominate the other not giving a care about the customer. No I REPEAT NO phone company cares about you as the consumer all the Care about is $ nothing else nothing more.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
maybe we will get lucky and they will get in a competition to undercut each other with prices :)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Carriers can banter back and forth as much as they want. If it results in lower prices, then its all good. T-mobile may not have great national coverage but if they can deliver LTE in a few cities then in those areas they'll be much cheaper than AT&T.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
T-mobile has great pricing, I wish their network weren't trash.

they do not want to pay for tower space either - the local community lost a T Moble tower due to the fact they wanted to bully the community into a cheaper tower rate the community said no and told them to remove the tower giving the spot to Cricket who did not complain about the price of the tower rental.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.