Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Phil Schiller, Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, doesn't post to his Twitter account very often. Mostly he has written innocuous messages wishing followers "Happy Christmas" or cheering on the world champion San Francisco Giants.

Today, Phil tweeted a link to a 'Mobile Threat Report' from research company F-Secure. Most of the report highlights security and malware vulnerabilities in the Android operating system, while mentioning only a couple of iOS issues. He warns followers to "be safe out there".

Be safe out there: http://t.co/40UbrWtE6R - Philip Schiller (@pschiller) March 7, 2013
Among other things, the report [PDF] shows the growth in mobile threats, particularly on the Android operating system. Android accounted for 79 percent of the 301 mobile threats in 2012, while just 0.7 percent of threats attacked iOS.

fsecure.jpg
The tweet is a bit out of character for Apple, which usually prefers a quiet public face on issues like this. This could be part of a push by Apple Public Relations to share more favorable third-party reports about the company in an effort to drive the conversation in a favorable direction.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Tweets Link to Mobile Malware Report That Slams Android

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I still don't understand how they could make Android from Linux and mess it up so badly as far as security is concerned.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
As I have been saying all along Android blows iOS away
this is just another example. Look how much more malware you get
and its free. I just put my iPhone up for sale today. Good news since the resale value of the iPhone blows away Samsung phones I should be able to buy 3 or 4 with the money from my iPhone.
Also since the battery on the galaxy 3 last a good hour or two unless you shut off every feature of the phone. I can buy three of them that should last me a whole day

Just saying

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The year of Android malware. Oh wait that's every year... especially when most Android devices are closed to latest security updates.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I guess this is the cost of being an open platform?

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Desperate times call for desperate actions.

Way to go, Phil. Next time though, try to be a little more subtle.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Good to see Apple not being so quite anymore on positive news.

Steve was good a basing the competition in one line emails and not making a big stink of it... but the points got seen and heard.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love articles written about tweets.

Shouldn't the focus be on the article and then a comment that Schiller tweeted it?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Remember that lawsuit over Apple allowing only one place to obtain apps?

I use both Android and iOS phones daily. I'm afraid of my Droid.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Not sure he wanted to do that.

Shows apple is joint 3rd spot. With windows and Blackberry looking good.

c0venant

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
AVG Antivirus has been installed 50 to 100 million times on Google Play..
Avast 10 to 50 million, Norton Antivirus 5 to 10 million times , Kaspersky 1 to 5 million and McAfee 1 to 5 million. Not surprising, most Android owners I know have antivirus installed on their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.