Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
FSD was created when things where physical. It was deemed not a violation of copyright because no copy was being made.

There was never any contention by copyright holders that libraries were illegally copying their works. No court cases were ever held to decide that question, because the plaintiffs NEVER made any such claim.

Instead, the cases considered the right of exclusive distribution under 17 USC § 106:

Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:
(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;
(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;
(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending; ...

Please learn about the history of the First Sale Doctrine before expressing opinions about this, the latest threat by those who want to make even more money by restricting the public's access to information.

----------

But that's not a sale that's a gift. I'm gifting you my Stinky Sally card and you are gifting me your Tommy the Turd card.

It sounds like this system allows for gifting which would not have any fees as no money is involved

You confuse barter with gifting. There are fundamental differences.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Off topic for the thread and Apple doesn't read this stuff. Go tell them your complaints directly. The feedback page isn't that hard to find if you bother to look

Yup, feedback is ignored regardless and I'd just had my 3rd nuisance call of the day. It's annoying having "off topic" things disrupt your day, be it on the phone or in a forum isn't it?! :D

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't think Apple wants the DRM, the publishers do.

Apple wants whatever will make money for Wall Street.

If DRM can produce more profits than DRM-free, Apple wants that.

And if DRM-free puts more money into Wall Street's pockets, then Apple wants DRM-free.

Sheesh. This should not be a surprise to anyone. Apple is not some kind of non-profit foundation trying to make a better world. Apple is trying to get as much money transferred out of the pockets of consumers and into the pockets of hedge funds as possible. Apple has no other goal. None whatsoever.

Apple is a business, and not some sort of do-gooder nonprofit. Sheesh.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There was never any contention by copyright holders that libraries were illegally copying their works.

I never said that there was given that I never said that libraries are photocopying books to hand out to folks. Nor did I say they were buying books at Barnes and Noble and lending them without authorization from the publisher/distributor (which has nothing to do with First Sale Doctrine)

Perhaps you need a lesson in reading comprehension so you can reply to what folks actually say and not what you want to think they said so you can come off as a smarty pants by 'correcting' them.

----------

Apple wants whatever will make money for Wall Street.

If that were really true we'd have 100 different iPhone models made in all different combos of size, shape and materials, same with all other lines. Apple would be announcing their plans a year ahead of the release.

And would most definitely not be working on an aftermarket process since it brings in more money to force folks to buy at full cost.,

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
this is awesome.. i actually wrote an email to steve jobs a while go telling him that my father and i love to read on our ipads... however we cannot swap books the conventional way... he wants his ipad, i want mine... LOVE THIS IDEA

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Yet more DRM. Thanks but no thanks, Apple. I will continue to buy nothing from the iStore.

So...you won't buy from iTunes when there's no DRM (like now), and if they add DRM for trading you won't buy from iTunes. Thanks for the update!

Why should I split any revenue with Apple or the publisher when I sell my old books?

Do you have to give Chevrolet a cut when you sell your old car? If suddenly you had to sell your used car through Chevrolet's used car lot, and you had to split your money with them, would you be happy?

If not, then why does such an scheme with digital content make you happy?

I'm curious, when you sell your books and cars, are you capable of making a 100% identical 'backup copy' first at no cost? That would make this a more interesting analogy.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yet more DRM. Thanks but no thanks, Apple. I will continue to buy nothing from the iStore.

Call it what you want, just remember those items you buy are very likely licensed, not owned.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Only happy if it allows me to transfer content between my accounts. But since they are in different countries this might remain a dream. The above "step 340" will prevent, I'm pessimistically sure.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
So...you won't buy from iTunes when there's no DRM (like now), and if they add DRM for trading you won't buy from iTunes. Thanks for the update!.

You may want to double-check your "no DRM now" contention. iStore content is locked down.

I'm curious, when you sell your books and cars, are you capable of making a 100% identical 'backup copy' first at no cost? That would make this a more interesting analogy.

Of course I can't do that. But that is irrelevant.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Seems everything is patentable these days.

Lucky no one decided to patent the idea of pressing a button to turn on a computer or anything back in the day.

Apple: Button
Another: Switch
Another: Shake the machine
The Rest: Plug in the cable

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
If that were really true we'd have 100 different iPhone models made in all different combos of size, shape and materials, same with all other lines. Apple would be announcing their plans a year ahead of the release.

And would most definitely not be working on an aftermarket process since it brings in more money to force folks to buy at full cost.,

No way. Apple chose the correct path to maximum total profits. Those gimmicks would not generate nearly as much profit in the long term compared with the masterful techniques that Apple has employed.

Your techniques were likely considered by Apple, and more likely rejected as being inferior. Nobody knew how to turn a buck like Steve Jobs.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Wow. This is the best news I've heard all month. :D

Coincidentally, I was just today desperately trying to hack the iTunes metadata for an app to transfer it to another account.

Hurry up apple, get this rolled out. :apple:

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
At first I loved the idea, but on second thought, this is very backward thinking... Publishers should love this however, because digital lending sets the paradigm of "sharing without copying" - and thus disabling a precious digital propriety of easy and cost-less multiplication... I think this is an attempt of really setting the public opinion on uniqueness of digital files, which is simply not true...

One way of embracing this great characteristic is motivating owners of the licensed files not to share illegaly by making them part of the distribution...Imagine following scenario: I buy an album and I make my friend like it. I can copy it for him device to device and he pays for it, but I get a cut... Why? Simply because the publisher's marketing or supply chain didn't move a finger to make that sale. I do their work for them and I should be rewarded... Todays piracy relies often on enthusiast that share their collections... What if the dilemma of making a penny legally out of it occured? Any thoughts?:)

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
If the authors and publishers had their way, public libraries would be just as illegal as any other sort of distribution that they cannot make a profit from.

Look at the history of the First Sale Doctrine.

And you don't need additional DRM to lend your digital copies to your friend. Not yet, anyways. You are free to do so any time you wish, with no legal repercussions, no thanks to the authors and the publishers.

This new thing by apple will NOT increase your ability to do anything. It will only put additional screws into consumers.

Although I suppose such a move by Apple could be used to provide further credence to the fact that these items are in fact not "licenses," but purchases, which was part of the issue in Vernor v Autodesk. Either way, we all know that the whole licensing thing is a sham.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
If you wanted to trade bubble gum cards with your friend, would you be OK paying a fee to Topps?

If you bought, sold or traded through a Topps retail store, you would be expected to pay a fee, yes.

Using iTunes facilities to buy, sell or trade would be no different.

----------

If the authors and publishers had their way, public libraries would be just as illegal as any other sort of distribution that they cannot make a profit from.

The majority of authors and publishers have no issue with lending libraries, even digital libraries, who purchase the content that they lend, and limit lending to that content. Copying content for redistribution is a problem however.

----------

Dear Apple,

Rather than spending all day worrying about patents how about helping out existing customers of iDevices so they may just continue to buy the next generation? Two suggestions of things that have bugged the S@?* out of me lately:
Very simple.

Patents protect your future ability to do something for your customers without paying someone ELSE a royalty.

You should be happy as an Apple customer that they understand this.

Applying for patents is not impacting their ability to deliver added functionality to their devices. We are not talking about a one man shop here where labor is limited....

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Nothing beats buying physical media and avoiding unfair DRM and sale terms altogether. Mp3's are substandard. eBooks cost as much as physical books without the real experience. And who wants to tie up their expensive movie collection in any ecosystem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.