Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlCoxx

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
So what where you expecting? And what cases are you comparing it too? Every case on the market is made from the same materials: polycarbonate or TPU. Except those made from leather, metal or wood.

And of those materials this is a very fine case.

I have to disagree that "of those materials this is a very fine case". Its really flimsy and feels cheap. What i mean is, a candyshell or one of those other rubber/plastic cases feel...substantial? But the Tones feels like it should be $3 at some knockoff kiosk. I posted a thread asking maybe if i got a fake one because if the one i have is real i dont understand where there all the great reviews are coming from.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have to disagree that "of those materials this is a very fine case". Its really flimsy and feels cheap. What i mean is, a candyshell or one of those other rubber/plastic cases feel...substantial? But the Tones feels like it should be $3 at some knockoff kiosk. I posted a thread asking maybe if i got a fake one because if the one i have is real i dont understand where there all the great reviews are coming from.

I'm not sure what you are saying, with the '?'.

Sounds to me like you got a fake...there are enough experienced people here (that have had many cases, including the Candyshells) that would not come to your conclusion.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Just discovered something incredibly annoying about my Tones case: none of my headphones or aux cables fit! Seems like they designed the recessed headphone port for the super thin, super flimsy apple headphones. Anyone have any ideas of how I can make the case work with my headphones, other than just drilling a larger hole? I'm thinking of just buying a short headphone extension cable. Very annoying though. :(

DMB1

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
The well documented problem with the paint around the camera and flash starting to come away has hit my black tones case. Has anyone contacted SwitchEasy about it, with it ending in a replacement case?

Mark...

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
The well documented problem with the paint around the camera and flash starting to come away has hit my black tones case. Has anyone contacted SwitchEasy about it, with it ending in a replacement case?

Mark...

The case comes with a 2 year warranty. But for my black tones cases I avoided the hassle and just used a black Sharpie brand felt marker to touch up the paint area.

DMB1

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
The case comes with a 2 year warranty. But for my black tones cases I avoided the hassle and just used a black Sharpie brand felt marker to touch up the paint area.

To be honest I paid full price from Switcheasy before they were available at other outlets, so I expect a bit more from them.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks for looking out. I'll cross this case off my list.

I kinda feel bad. I have a lawyer colleague who I work with from time to time who I recommended this case to (based on my wife's experience). I told him to be wary of the issues we had discovered. He pulled the phone out (still in the green Tones... cool color by the way) and we examined it. Sure enough, the same "rub" marks from the lip of the case appeared on the chamfered edge of his phone.

He would have never noticed it had I not pointed it out though (ignorance is bliss). Now he is trying everything to get them off the edge.

Maybe it's not happening on white phones? This is still only the second black one I have seen it on, but it's still a little alarming. It's not BAD, but it's definitely noticeable if you examine it half as hard as those in the "scuffgate" threads do lol...

And the corners look brown/green. They just get dirty SO fast. I know all TPU does this, but it seems pronounced with every color here except black (and even then it's happening, you just don't see it as much I bet).

Still a great case in my opinion, just be sure to check to see if the edges are leaving marks on the chamfered edge. I only have 2 cases to reference in fairness, but that's almost more than "bendgate" so there ya go :D

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks for looking out. I'll cross this case off my list.

As an update, it has gotten progressively worse on both phones I know of using the case. I run naked 99% of the time, but at this point (especially with the headphone port issue, not being able to use it with the lightning adapter unmodified, and the black camera ring flaking) an otherwise solid case is a definite no go...

Just my 2c =). It's not awful I guess, but there's gotta be a better option I'd imagine.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
As an update, it has gotten progressively worse on both phones I know of using the case. I run naked 99% of the time, but at this point (especially with the headphone port issue, not being able to use it with the lightning adapter unmodified, and the black camera ring flaking) an otherwise solid case is a definite no go...

Just my 2c =). It's not awful I guess, but there's gotta be a better option I'd imagine.

It's hard to find a better option.

My experience has been different. Given the number of times I've taken the case off its not progressively worse. It's only on the top and bottom, not the sides. And it's hardly noticeable except under very close examination.

I tried the Slim Armor figuring that softer rubber wouldn't mar the bezel upon removing the case. But the SA has its own issues: the case is slippery and easily scratches itself.

Keeping the Tones on is the best solution; had the case naked and I chipped the corner edge on something. That's worse than the slight marring.

For slimness and being light weight and all edge protection the Tones is the best I've found.

But that is why we spend so much $$ on cases... Looking for the holy grail. If only apple never used a mirror finish on the bezel, we would all be happier.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
My Tones case is starting to split. Got the blue when it was first announced. Had an issue with one of their cases doing this on my iPhone 4 previously. They were great about sending a replacement but unfortunate to see this happen.

The case has otherwise been fine and helped my iPhone survive a number of drops at home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360072634.739566.jpg

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
My Tones case is starting to split. Got the blue when it was first announced. Had an issue with one of their cases doing this on my iPhone 4 previously. They were great about sending a replacement but unfortunate to see this happen.

The case has otherwise been fine and helped my iPhone survive a number of drops at home.

View attachment 394615

Yeah, it's thin at the seams. I always remove my case at the SIM side, as they instruct with the info that came with the case.

They claim a 2 year warranty...let us know if they honor that for you.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I think I've removed this case twice since I got it...

uh. Had mine since end of October and removed the case at least 30 times. No splits or rips. A relative has a small rip by the mute, but they removed the case from that side. I do it from the long SIM side.

Should get a free replacement under warranty. Have a good argument, IMHO

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Nope, I used mine for about 9 months and it did not sag at all. That is one of the reasons I liked it better than the PixelSkin HD, which did become a little "stretched" with use.

I had the Speck PixelSkin for the iPhone 4 and it's served me well. Yes it has stretched a wee bit over the two years i've had it, but i've dropped the phone a couple of times on concrete and it's done it's job well.

I'm considering the TONES and the PIXELSKIN HD.....

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas

View attachment 394615

Same problem here. Can't decide if its worth asking or a replacement or if I should just buy another.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
New Tones on the way

Support was awesome

Emailed photo and receipt of purchase and a new Blue Tones case was out within a few hours

Reminds me why I like Switcheasy so much...

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I had the Speck PixelSkin for the iPhone 4 and it's served me well. Yes it has stretched a wee bit over the two years i've had it, but i've dropped the phone a couple of times on concrete and it's done it's job well.

I'm considering the TONES and the PIXELSKIN HD.....

PixelSkin HD! Woo! :D

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Support was awesome

Emailed photo and receipt of purchase and a new Blue Tones case was out within a few hours

Reminds me why I like Switcheasy so much...

Thanks for the feedback....very good to know!!!

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
SwitchEasy Response to this thread...

View attachment 394615

I sent them an email about this thread and here's their reply:
Thank you for attentiveness and letting us know! I have personally reviewed the Link you have provided and Fortunately the Forum Post are all from last year when the TONES was Brand New. There had been a slight defect with the TONES Case when they were first released but SwitchEasy was aware of this after the use of the Case and has corrected this issue already. So you are in LUCK! If you are looking to purchase TONES case you will have no issues. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about Prior Feedback on the Internet.

The only thing I could tell Everyone would be that purchasing from SwitchEasy.com guarantees you a Two Year Warranty and so much more! We wouldn't NOT Correct an issue to be replacing Thousands of Cases everyday!

Again we ant to thank you for your Support and making us aware of this forum. Please if you have any other questions, let us know!

Best Regards,

Jordan
SwitchEasy US Customer Service

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008

Mark...

I have this problem with both my Tones and the one I bought for my girlfriend. They agreed to replace them for me but they wanted me to send the defective ones to them first (not gonna happen because I'm not carrying my phone naked). I tried to get them to just send out replacements and put a hold on my credit card but they wouldn't do that. I ended up ordering two replacement cases and they're going to refund me when they receive the defective cases back from me. Not ideal but it's good enough.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'll never buy a SwitchEasy case after my experience with their Nude case.

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'll never buy a SwitchEasy case after my experience with their Nude case.

YouTube: video

Irrelevant video for the Tones case.

1 the nude case is ultra thin. This can happen to all cases 1 mm or less eventually.

2 obvious from the break in the video, the fellow was taking the case off incorrectly, most likely. Switch easy is very good about giving instructions on how to remove. Never remove by the weaker corners, openings or covered buttons.

3 but in any case, I don't buy these ultra thin cases anymore since I take them off frequently.

4 the material is called polycarbonate not plastic. Every hard shell case by every case maker is made from the same material.

Lesson: if you want such an ultra thin case, handle with care. Period.

The Switcheasy Tones is a thicker case made from TPU and polycarbonate. . I've had mine for 5 months. No tears. Always remove from the long sim side. Instructions come with the case.

Finally the Tones case, and all switcheasy cases I believe, come with 2 year warranty. And they honor it.

Simply the best case all around that I've found over 4 years.

= bluntman =

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I really like the Tone case, well, everything except the bottom of it. It doesn't have a completely exposed bottom, something I need because of the 30-pin to Lightning adapter that I use (I don't like using the 30-pin to Lightning cable).

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I really like the Tone case, well, everything except the bottom of it. It doesn't have a completely exposed bottom, something I need because of the 30-pin to Lightning adapter that I use (I don't like using the 30-pin to Lightning cable).

If you need protection for the bottom bezel and edge, you have to forgo using the adapter, with any case. It is just the design. The cable works fine, with a bit of modification.

I find having the bottom fitted as in the Tones, makes it much easier to connect the lightning connector in the pitch dark..otherwise I fumble and scratch the bottom, near the port...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.