Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
They really need to make the white version with the dark grey part they use for the black version.

Damn I want a white one :mad:

Anyone have the green with the white iPhone? Pics if so please, thanks

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know (because my wife has used this case since October), that it appears to mark the chamfered edge of the black iP5. It's not "scuffing" just more like rub marks that do not wipe off.

It's nothing major, and she does love the case, but I know how OCD folks on here are and wanted to warn you just in case you were considering this case. She takes decent care of it, and always places it into a microfiber pouch when it's in her purse.

Speaking of which, for a 2 month old case, it sure has a lot of discoloration along the edges (she got the blue/slate one). It almost looks dirty on the corners and it doesn't clean up either.

It's a shame, but I'm glad I go naked as I would probably have bought this case if I didn't.

Nothing major, just a heads up to those considerering this one.

(Also, I believe they send out "reject" screen protectors included with their cases, as I am an expert installer and could not get either to fit properly (this seems to be a common problem with the ones included with their cases... the edges don't adhere right with the co-packagaed films). We mentioned it to SwitchEasy, and the sent out their retail packaged protectors which worked great.)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just wanted to let everyone know (because my wife has used this case since October), that it appears to mark the chamfered edge of the black iP5. It's not "scuffing" just more like rub marks that do not wipe off.

It's nothing major, and she does love the case, but I know how OCD folks on here are and wanted to warn you just in case you were considering this case. She takes decent care of it, and always places it into a microfiber pouch when it's in her purse.

Speaking of which, for a 2 month old case, it sure has a lot of discoloration along the edges (she got the blue/slate one). It almost looks dirty on the corners and it doesn't clean up either.

It's a shame, but I'm glad I go naked as I would probably have bought this case if I didn't.

Nothing major, just a heads up to those considerering this one.

I've used the Tones case since the last week of October (black iP5 and slate/black Tones). I haven't noticed the marks that your wife has...not disagreeing with your observation...just another data point. I can certainly see how any mirror like finish will not last with constant daily use as one's phone normally sees. Even naked.

Just my 2 cent observation.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I started using this case today. I picked up the OD green version for my black iP5. Great looking case IMO. The last Switcheasy cases I've used was a couple of Capsule Rebels for my 3GS. I wasn't disappointed with those and I don't think I will be with this case.

This case accommodates my 3rd party headphone jacks, which is an added bonus for me.

I gotta quit watching some of the tech reviewers on YT giving reviews on iPhone cases. I'm going to go case poor if I keep buying these things.

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
i don't know about the other light-color versions of this case but as others have explained, stay away from the white version. after a few weeks of use, it gets straight filthy and disgusting looking. no way of cleaning it either, i tried many different things including scrubbing it with alcohol pads and nothing works.

bananataffy

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
here's a couple of pics to show how bad it's gotten from normal use:

TGgfJ.jpg

hUITd.jpg

YQtgA.jpg

and again, this can't be cleaned.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Thinking about getting one of these...quick question though: I currently have Ghost Armor on all sides of the phone. Will I have to take that off to get the Tones case to fit? It includes a protector for the front and back, right? Can I just use the one I already have on my phone?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
here's a couple of pics to show how bad it's gotten from normal use:

and again, this can't be cleaned.

how long have you had yours? i have had mine since soon after launch and its not as bad as that, granted it is starting to fade.

whats most disturbing is the black paint that seems to be rubbing off around your camera cut out - id contact Switcheasy about that, definitely shouldnt be happening from normal use.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I've used the Tones case since the last week of October (black iP5 and slate/black Tones). I haven't noticed the marks that your wife has...not disagreeing with your observation...just another data point. I can certainly see how any mirror like finish will not last with constant daily use as one's phone normally sees. Even naked.

Just my 2 cent observation.

I kinda feel bad. I have a lawyer colleague who I work with from time to time who I recommended this case to (based on my wife's experience). I told him to be wary of the issues we had discovered. He pulled the phone out (still in the green Tones... cool color by the way) and we examined it. Sure enough, the same "rub" marks from the lip of the case appeared on the chamfered edge of his phone.

He would have never noticed it had I not pointed it out though (ignorance is bliss). Now he is trying everything to get them off the edge.

Maybe it's not happening on white phones? This is still only the second black one I have seen it on, but it's still a little alarming. It's not BAD, but it's definitely noticeable if you examine it half as hard as those in the "scuffgate" threads do lol...

And the corners look brown/green. They just get dirty SO fast. I know all TPU does this, but it seems pronounced with every color here except black (and even then it's happening, you just don't see it as much I bet).

Still a great case in my opinion, just be sure to check to see if the edges are leaving marks on the chamfered edge. I only have 2 cases to reference in fairness, but that's almost more than "bendgate" so there ya go :D

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I kinda feel bad. I have a lawyer colleague who I work with from time to time who I recommended this case to (based on my wife's experience). I told him to be wary of the issues we had discovered. He pulled the phone out (still in the green Tones... cool color by the way) and we examined it. Sure enough, the same "rub" marks from the lip of the case appeared on the chamfered edge of his phone.

He would have never noticed it had I not pointed it out though (ignorance is bliss). Now he is trying everything to get them off the edge.

Maybe it's not happening on white phones? This is still only the second black one I have seen it on, but it's still a little alarming. It's not BAD, but it's definitely noticeable if you examine it half as hard as those in the "scuffgate" threads do lol...

And the corners look brown/green. They just get dirty SO fast. I know all TPU does this, but it seems pronounced with every color here except black (and even then it's happening, you just don't see it as much I bet).

Still a great case in my opinion, just be sure to check to see if the edges are leaving marks on the chamfered edge. I only have 2 cases to reference in fairness, but that's almost more than "bendgate" so there ya go :D

Don't feel too badly. I just looked at mine and at normal reading distance I only see shiny smooth black chamfered edges: with a very strong light and 4x mag lens I can see a few 'mars' in the black top/bottom chamfer. But, IMHO, any case, sleeve or going naked will get those quickly. It's the fault of putting a metal mirror finish on a product that is used constantly during the day. I admire Sir Ives designs but not a fanboy of that quirk of his. Think of those chrome iPods and the 3G bezels. Even with care they looked beat up over time.

Or my gold wedding band: maybe I need a case for that? Lots of mars dings and scuffs on that. But it still is a nice piece of jewelry.

Think about how badly he would feel if he dropped or just banged his naked phone against a table edge? Then he would have a dent or white bare metal showing.

The phone would look just a fine with an matte finish like the black back and edges. IMO. And a lot less OCD ing on the forums.

Anyhow I use cases for grip and less worry about where I lay it during the day.

It is what it is. Even with a mar the phone is still a functional jewel. Don't beat yourself up!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Don't feel too badly. I just looked at mine and at normal reading distance I only see shiny smooth black chamfered edges: with a very strong light and 4x mag lens I can see a few 'mars' in the black top/bottom chamfer. But, IMHO, any case, sleeve or going naked will get those quickly. It's the fault of putting a metal mirror finish on a product that is used constantly during the day. I admire Sir Ives designs but not a fanboy of that quirk of his. Think of those chrome iPods and the 3G bezels. Even with care they looked beat up over time.

Or my gold wedding band: maybe I need a case for that? Lots of mars dings and scuffs on that. But it still is a nice piece of jewelry.

Think about how badly he would feel if he dropped or just banged his naked phone against a table edge? Then he would have a dent or white bare metal showing.

The phone would look just a fine with an matte finish like the black back and edges. IMO. And a lot less OCD ing on the forums.

Anyhow I use cases for grip and less worry about where I lay it during the day.

It is what it is. Even with a mar the phone is still a functional jewel. Don't beat yourself up!

Thanks for that =)

I know it's silly to feel bad, I guess I just forget how often the non-OCD "normal" folk of the world just end up enjoying products rather than obsessing over a mm "scuff" or nick.

I don't even bother with a case, and even though I can notice the tiny damage I accumulate, it definitely doesn't bother me.

Paul on the other hand, thought he had a "perfect" phone before I opened my big mouth. Oh well. He'll get over it (as soon as he's done trying to polish the marks out...).

I really like the case anyway. I'd probably get one (I do put one on if I expect to really need one), if it didn't show the dirt so badly on the corners (or just get black haha...)

Anyways, you're right. Thanks!

beastmode16

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Any signs of scratching the iPhone. Really like the look of the case but fear the harder plastic would scratch the iPhone 5.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Tried out the black tones case for a few days and its too slippery for my liking. Great design w the hard plastic just not for me I guess. Look for it in the for sale section in the next few days if interested.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
It's a softer polycarbonate than the incase sliders.

Just keep in mind there is a reason why scratches occur (it's primarily due to rubbing, and it can be from either crud getting between the case and phone, or from the case itself).

While the Incase IS harder, the flexibility of the Tones causes it to move more back and forth over the edge of the phone. Again, it's NOT bad, but if you are one of the super OCD folks (for example, do you believe in "scuffgate"?), then the "rub" marks the Tones case leaves on the edges of the black iP5 might bother you.

Not sure if it happens on the white (I've only seen 3 slates), but on those 3 at least it most definitely DOES "damage" the chamfer edge, even if it's just a little bit.

If you kept the case clean I bet the Incase wouldn't do that, because it doesn't flex nearly as much. If crap got inbetween sure, but the case itself probably isn't the source, as it appears to be with the Tones.

No biggie, and my wife is still using her dirty Tones anyway haha...

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
how's the grip on this phone for your hand? I'm not a big fan of slippery phones that slide out of my hand as i'm using it.

I see it's got the rubber on the sides slightly......

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Just keep in mind there is a reason why scratches occur (it's primarily due to rubbing, and it can be from either crud getting between the case and phone, or from the case itself).

While the Incase IS harder, the flexibility of the Tones causes it to move more back and forth over the edge of the phone. Again, it's NOT bad, but if you are one of the super OCD folks (for example, do you believe in "scuffgate"?), then the "rub" marks the Tones case leaves on the edges of the black iP5 might bother you.

Not sure if it happens on the white (I've only seen 3 slates), but on those 3 at least it most definitely DOES "damage" the chamfer edge, even if it's just a little bit.

If you kept the case clean I bet the Incase wouldn't do that, because it doesn't flex nearly as much. If crap got inbetween sure, but the case itself probably isn't the source, as it appears to be with the Tones.

No biggie, and my wife is still using her dirty Tones anyway haha...

Yes, dirt between the case and phone is the major cause for scratches, I agree.

However, the slider I had for the 3GS was horrible for the shiny bezel. It was too rigid and didn't fit tightly. It was esp. bad while sliding it on.

I don't know about the iPhone 5 slider, but I would never, ever use a Incase Slider again.

I've never found dirt behind my Tones case, and I take it off a lot (to use it naked).The Tones fits very tight; a rigid case like the Slider was ok, but poor fitting with gaps is worse than a soft case that fits very tight.

I'm not sure what the tiny marring I see is from, but its not dirt.

how's the grip on this phone for your hand? I'm not a big fan of slippery phones that slide out of my hand as i'm using it.

It is not slippery like the bare phone; but not super grippy either. It has a pebble finish which, for me, feel just right.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Thanks for that =)

I know it's silly to feel bad, I guess I just forget how often the non-OCD "normal" folk of the world just end up enjoying products rather than obsessing over a mm "scuff" or nick.

I don't even bother with a case, and even though I can notice the tiny damage I accumulate, it definitely doesn't bother me.

Paul on the other hand, thought he had a "perfect" phone before I opened my big mouth. Oh well. He'll get over it (as soon as he's done trying to polish the marks out...).

I really like the case anyway. I'd probably get one (I do put one on if I expect to really need one), if it didn't show the dirt so badly on the corners (or just get black haha...)

Anyways, you're right. Thanks!

BTW, I found yesterday that I got 95% of the 'marring' off the top and bottom front mirror bevel by wetting my finger and rubbing the marks off, with a bit of 'elbow grease' and them polished with a cloth. The sides have always been clean.

I used to get rub marks on the SS of the 4S, and they were just marks that came off from the case, which is softer than metal.

So I can't see them anymore and am quite happy that I can take the case on and off.

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Today I will be reviewing the Switcheasy Tones case for the iPhone 5. The Switcheasy Tones is a one-piece style case that features a dual composite material integrated into the case. The Switcheasy Tones comes in a multitude of colors including White, Blue, Black, Pink, Purple, Turquoise, and Green. The case appeals to both men and women alike due to its broad color options.

The two materials that comprise the case are a hard polycarbonate and a strong TPU. The polycarbonate is melded into the back of the case with the TPU covering the rest of the iPhone 5’s body. This pairing of materials of both polycarbonate and TPU have its benefits. The hard polycarbonate back provides protection to the back of the iPhone 5’s aluminum, while the TPU adds shock absorption in the event of a drop as well as providing grip to the case while using it on the iPhone 5.

When it comes to lay-on-the-table design, the case features a slight lip that extends about 1 mm over the iPhone 5’s screen. This provides protection to the iPhone 5’s glass screen in the event of a drop. This is a great feature to this case, which is easily welcomed.

Overall, the Switcheasy Tones is a solid and protective case for the iPhone 5. The case is very slim but still offers a good amount of protection to the fragile iPhone 5. Given how slim the case is, you wouldn’t expect it to provide as much protection as it does. All of the buttons are tactile which is very important. If you are looking for a sleek and attractive case for your new iPhone 5 that is still extremely protective and shock absorbing, look no further than the Switcheasy Tones for the iPhone 5. I give it my full recommendation.

CarlCoxx

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
After reading reviews I purchased the tones but its a piece of junk. It is so not worth $25. it looks much nicer in pictures compared to real life. Its just a piece of cheap plastic. Get something else.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
After reading reviews I purchased the tones but its a piece of junk. It is so not worth $25. it looks much nicer in pictures compared to real life. Its just a piece of cheap plastic. Get something else.

So what where you expecting? And what cases are you comparing it too? Every case on the market is made from the same materials: polycarbonate or TPU. Except those made from leather, metal or wood.

And of those materials this is a very fine case.

catspit32

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Cant decide between the Speck Candyshell, Switcheasy Tones, or Belkin Candy sheer. which offers the best protection from cratches and drops? which is just overall the better case?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

It's mostly plastic where you grip the phone so it's not that grippy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.