Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

officemac.png
Microsoft has issued updates for both Office for Mac 2008 and 2011 to fix a security issue in which opening a malicious HTML email could result in an attacker "[overwriting] the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code" and potentially gain access to information stored on the Mac.

The update to Office for Mac 2011 additionally contains a range of bug fixes:
Contacts that were created in x500 format did not work in Outlook for Mac
BCC recipient was missing on Gmail IMAP draft message in Outlook for Mac
Some contractions were marked as spelling errors in Outlook for Mac
Shared folders could not open other mailboxes that used Kerberos protocol in Outlook for Mac
Coordinated Universal Time was not included when you created a calendar event in Outlook for Mac
Fixes an issue in which OAB was not updated correctly for certain Office 365 users.
Fixes an issue that occured when you ran a Macro that contained "Applications.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show."
Scrolling when Track Changes default settings are enabled in larger documents crashed Word for Mac
Transitions had graphic issues during slide shows in PowerPoint for Mac
The 2008 update contains only the security fix. In both cases, you need to be running the most recent version of the software. To check this, go to the Help menu in any Office app and click Check for updates.

Article Link: Microsoft Issues Security Updates for Office for Mac 2008 and 2011

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Openoffice.org

Libreoffice.org

I'm using the latter too, but did you ever opended or even edited a MS Powerpoint Presentation using Libreoffice? The original layout is gone for good...not really applicable in the business world.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Openoffice.org

Libreoffice.org

Keynote. Easily the best presentation program from any productivity suite.

Pages and Numbers are pretty good but I'll give you that their counterparts in other suites may be more capable.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
In other words, less than 190 meg update for my Office 2011 installation.

343.8 for mine. Though I feel like complaining about the size of software updates is a little old-fashioned now that I'm downloading multi-gig patches for console software.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Would you rather they just... not update anything ever?

When Apple release updates for you they're full of magical Unicorns and free stuff, when Microsoft release updates, they're only full of bugs and deliberate attempts to screw you.

Everybody knows this

/s

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
When Apple release updates for you they're full of magical Unicorns and free stuff, when Microsoft release updates, they're only full of bugs and deliberate attempts to screw you.

Everybody knows this

/s

Oh right, I forgot.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
A subject like this is the usual MacRumors canon fodder. Apple updates = well done, Apple knows when to act. MS updates = too late, lame, they do not know how to handle things. Cold war, the eternal enemy :)

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
A subject like this is the usual MacRumors canon fodder. Apple updates = well done, Apple knows when to act. MS updates = too late, lame, they do not know how to handle things. Cold war, the eternal enemy :)

I'm still waiting for my OS X 10.8.3 to fix some of my issues on the rMBP :rolleyes:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
In other words, some ridiculous half gigabyte security update. MS stinks

Less than 190MB for me, who was running a fully up-to-date version of Office 2011.

Maybe next time think before typing something that makes you look ignorant and foolish?

----------

Openoffice.org

Libreoffice.org

Just so you know, they get patches to fix things as well.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Maybe next time think before typing something that makes you look ignorant and foolish?.

So those of us who actually want to use our macs to make word documents, it is such a nuisance that every time Microsoft has a security update, I have to wait for 200+ MB to download and install. Before you go calling people ignorant for expressing their opinion, go look in the mirror.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
So those of us who actually want to use our macs to make word documents, it is such a nuisance that every time Microsoft has a security update, I have to wait for 200+ MB to download and install. Before you go calling people ignorant for expressing their opinion, go look in the mirror.

I mean, it's entirely optional. You can still open word documents without updating Office. You don't have to wait for 200+ MB to download at all, and if you want the security you can download it in the background.

Having said that, it was 112mb for me and downloaded in the time it took me to write this post. I'm installing it now.

EDIT: It's actually taking longer to install on my macbook air than it took to download.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

200MB takes seconds to download and less than a minute to install. You can always defer the update until it's a more convenient time for yourself to install, which any sensible person would do if they needed to urgently access/create a document.

Sometimes many months go by without an update. So stop complaining about things for the sake of it, it's foolish.

jr1089

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
I'm using the latter too, but did you ever opended or even edited a MS Powerpoint Presentation using Libreoffice? The original layout is gone for good...not really applicable in the business world.

I have never come across a reason as to why PC version of Office is also so much better and easier to use than the MAC version of Office which is very strange.

Libreoffice and Open office is not used in the business environment, never come across a business using it, being honest they are more home user tools. While Apple probably never wanted to produce a more advanced version of Numbers to compete with Excel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.