Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ifone_5.jpg
Apple has lost an appeal over its use of the 'iPhone' trademark in Mexico, reports The Wall Street Journal. The case has been going on for some time, but does not appear to impact Apple's ability to sell the iPhone and related services in the country.
Apple sued to have the Ifone brand revoked on grounds it had expired for the Mexican company, but a federal court found that Ifone SA, registered in 2003, was making proper use of it. The Supreme Court this week rejected Apple's appeal against the decision at the request of Ifone.

Ifone's corporate lawyer Eduardo Gallastegui said the decision frees the company to continue with its claims, already submitted to the Industrial Property Institute IMPI, for damages resulting from the use of its name by Apple and by three Mexican mobile phone service providers: America Movil unit Telcel, Spain's Telefonica SA and Grupo Iusacell.
This is not the first time that Apple has run into trademark issues with its products. Previous court cases in Brazil and China have ended in settlements.

Article Link: Apple Loses Appeal in 'iPhone' Naming Rights Case in Mexico

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
On one hand Apple started the whole 'i' thing; but iFone was started in 2003 here.....so Apple is technically wrong and should have lost this case.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Yet another settlement case for Apple. Man, I wish I had thought of iPhone or iFone or something similar.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
On one hand Apple started the whole 'i' thing;

*ahem*Cisco*ahem* ;)

but iFone was started in 2003 here.....so Apple is technically wrong and should have lost this case.

This would be a proper example of prior art coming into play and prevailing; something the USPTO should take notes on.

BL.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Good. Apple needs to chill. They want world domination over any name that resembles Apple or their products. "Doesn't impact the ability to sell the iPhone or related services in the country", seriously Apple chill, bro!

bambamyi

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle
Apple needs slap on the face and this feels good...

Apple deserves a hard slap on the face. I am saying this because they messed up big time since Steve passed away. I used to love apple products...

Apple... what goes around will eventually comes around... stop chasing other companies with patent BS because it will come back to you as well.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
So... you can trademark a letter of the alphabet now? Only 25 left folks, better hurry! :eek:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Apple deserves a hard slap on the face. I am saying this because they messed up big time since Steve passed away. I used to love apple products...

Apple... what goes around will eventually comes around... stop chasing other companies with patent BS because it will come back to you as well.

chasing patent with android is probably what happen with windows in the past (steve showed bill the lisa). they don't want it to happen again, but it seems android really do take off and history repeat itself.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Cisco had iOS on their hardware as early as 1994. I can't remember if Motorola had anything on mobile phones back then.. If so, they were the huge bricks that required a briefcase..

BL.

I couldn't find a source for 1994. If you have one I'd love to see it. Motorola dates back to 1996. And the phone was not at all a suitcase phone nor HUGE brick.

The i500...

i500nc.gif

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
This could be an opportunity for Apple to try some new names. Personally, I hope they go for el Macco.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What in Gods name is that? It's so ugly

Sorry - did you join the cell phone universe with the iPhone?

The i500 - while not pretty by today's standards was a kickass phone in its day. And certainly the "look" most phones had.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.