Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I have a son who watches youtube videos until the battery runs dry. I have no idea what to expect from continuous youtube playback with regards to battery life. We seem to be charging it from 0% at least twice a day.

I swear it's draining in 3 hours or so. Will continuous streaming of youtube video just wipe it out fast?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
You should be more concerned with your kids social development than your iPods battery life....

He is significantly mentally disabled and barely can speak. He just has me search for Thomas the train and then just randomly jumps around videos. I am not real concerned, he gets plenty of specialized help/schooling for someone with his low level of ability and plenty of exercise so he doesn't get obese.

I should have reworded the title. I meant to ask how long a battery session should last watching YouTube. Since I guess it's like an iPhone, 2-3 hours of solid Internet streaming is all I can expect.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
He is significantly mentally disabled and barely can speak. He just has me search for Thomas the train and then just randomly jumps around videos. I am not real concerned, he gets plenty of specialized help/schooling for someone with his low level of ability and plenty of exercise so he doesn't get obese.

I should have reworded the title. I meant to ask how long a battery session should last watching YouTube. Since I guess it's like an iPhone, 2-3 hours of solid Internet streaming is all I can expect.

It is nice your son derives some pleasure watching the vids. The info below is from Apple, and says you can expect 400 full charge/discharge cycles.

screenshot20130319at124.png

Like rgarjr mentioned, keepinging it plugged in while he is watching will minimize battery cycles.

Too bad you need to put up with condescending and unsolicited parenting advice while you try get a simple question answered. :(

Edit: I don't know if your son would like it, but I have a very young nephew who is into Thomas, and he freakin' loves this Thomas the Train game.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.