Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which option would you spend your hard earned money on?

• iPhone w/ 5" screen

Votes: 90 41.9%
  • iPhone w/ 4.1" - 4.9" screen

Votes: 89 41.4%
  • iPhone w/ 4" screen

Votes: 36 16.7%

• Total voters

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Ok, so there have been some scattered threads that in one way or another allude to whether or not someone wants a larger screen on their iPhone. I thought, rather than everyone scroll through page after page of opinions lets consolidate into a simple poll and really get an idea of where people actually are in wanting a larger screen on their iPhone. I for one would definitely spend my money on a larger iPhone, preferably 5", but I think it would be important to continue to offer the current 4" as a budget option if they went all the way to a 5". I'm guessing most would like at least a slightly larger screen, but look forward to seeing if that is the case!

Feel free to elaborate on your choice as well.:)

Last edited:

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I think the max I could do is 5". I don't want to run into having trouble getting it in or out of my pockets. It also really depends on the form factor they choose to go with. I'd prefer if they didn't expand vertically only.

AngelOfSoul

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2013
Absolutely not. The iPhone 5 screen is all I want. The main reason I stick with my 4S is the awesome glass material. iPhone 5 screen with 4S material? Definitely gonna buy.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Just a quick additional thought: this is not a discussion about which is better, which makes more sense, or even what we think apple will actually do. This is purely which option you would spend your money on if you walked into the apple store or carrier store today.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
Absolutely not. The iPhone 5 screen is all I want. The main reason I stick with my 4S is the awesome glass material. iPhone 5 screen with 4S material? Definitely gonna buy.

I'd love that! if I want bigger screen real estate, I use the iPad. :D

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I never upgraded to to the iPhone 5 because I didn't think it was worth it but I did buy a Nexus 4 that has a bigger screen. I still use my 4S and cancelled my AT&T contract and moved to T-Mobile so I will no longer have a way to buy an iPhone unless I buy it full price, I doubt I'll be buying another iPhone in the future.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
4.9" and 5" iz pretty much the samething! :rolleyes: so I said 5" but im fine with 4" rite now.

Yea, I just chose 4.1-4.9 as the spread since it seems everyone has a different opinion of a 4.x inch screen. So that choice represents anyone pretty much wanting a slightly larger screen than the i5 but doesn't want 5".

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yea, I just chose 4.1-4.9 as the spread since it seems everyone has a different opinion of a 4.x inch screen. So that choice represents anyone pretty much wanting a slightly larger screen than the i5 but doesn't want 5".

I think im gonna try the next BLU jelly bean smartphone for $299 and with a 5.7" ;)

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
When/If the 6 has a screen the size of the S3 or something like that, I will be back at the front of the line on launch day camping. I camped for every iPhone except the 5.

Yea, I'm a nut.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

I'll buy a 4 inch screen on the spot with a better iPhone 4S solid body.

I will NEVER buy a wider screen iphone, and would just find a flip phone or an older iPhone 5S 5 or 4S if Apple did something as dumb and moved away from a mature looking smartphone. ;) :p

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Depends on the overall dimensions. One handed operation and an easy fit in a pocket are essential IMO. So I wouldn't buy a phone that didn't meet those criteria, but if it did, bigger would be fine.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would do 4.3" if they figured out a way to keep the actual dimensions of the phone similar to the iPhone 5. Don't want it to be any larger than that though.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
I would do 4.3" if they figured out a way to keep the actual dimensions of the phone similar to the iPhone 5. Don't want it to be any larger than that though.

Yes, I would think the natural progression would be to do away with as much bezel as possible on the phone as its not as important for holding as it is on a tablet.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I don't want a 5 inch brick in my pocket thank you. The iPhone 5 is quite sufficient and I was actually quite fine with my 3gs. Any larger is to big.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Yes give me the 5 inch model please.

I've been saying the iPhone needs a bigger screen since the 3G model in 2008.

Better yet Apple should offer multiple screen sizes so everyone can get the right phone for their needs.

Apple did this with the iPod lineup long time ago so no reason not do do this again with the iPhone.

We all love having options. Not Samsung options but within Apple.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yes

Have a 4'' and a 4.5''-4.8''.

4.5''-4.8'' could be like the iPad or MacBook Pro, better specs.

4'' could turn to cheaper model, lots of colors.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Apple is correct for choosing a 4" display. Basically, everyone in the world can use the entire screen one-handed. Go larger, and it becomes more and more difficult for users to do that.

Personally, I'd rather have an iPad mini with a 6"-7" retina display and leave the current iPhone size where it is. That would be far more useful.

When I had my Note 2 I would still carry a smaller phone to make calls, text, email, etc because it was easier but the things the N2 was better at, like doodling or watching Netflix, I wished the screen was bigger.

IMO, there are too many compromises at the ~5" range for a smartphone. People have their opinion and I have mine - smartphones should be easy to use one-handed, and tablets should be just big enough to be different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.