Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Is there anyone with a top of the line Macbook Pro Retina playing this game? I'm very curious if it runs with all the options at maximum? And I don't mean 1080p, but the max resolution that the Mac offers.

lol

no

base or top end rmbp you still have the same 650m,

and that isn't pushing retina resolution at max settings.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I've been thinking of picking up this game. Looking to ditch my WoW monthly charge.

I'm still on the fence with it though. I see the Mac cliant is still listed as a beta, and I've read that there are still alot of little issues with it in the mac version. I'm not really interested in bootcamp right now.

I will be playing it off a brand new Mac Mini i7 2.6, with 16gb of ram.

Should I hold off for a while or just buy it now and play?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I've been thinking of picking up this game. Looking to ditch my WoW monthly charge.

I'm still on the fence with it though. I see the Mac cliant is still listed as a beta, and I've read that there are still alot of little issues with it in the mac version. I'm not really interested in bootcamp right now.

I will be playing it off a brand new Mac Mini i7 2.6, with 16gb of ram.

Should I hold off for a while or just buy it now and play?

Haven't tested it myself, but with that HD4000 I'd stick to WoW if I were you.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
You can probably play it, but I wouldn't run it at amazingly high resolution, and of course all settings have to be at the lowest possible.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
It's mostly playable on the 11" Air with maxed out specs with the same Intel HD4000 graphics card. Check the previous page for screenshots.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
It's mostly playable on the 11" Air with maxed out specs with the same Intel HD4000 graphics card. Check the previous page for screenshots.

hmmm,

the game is very visual demanding. I dont believe the game can be very playable with maxed out specs on a HD4000!

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
On the lowest settings it's perfectly fine, but on medium it sometimes struggles. I've been mostly playing it on medium and it's been pretty ok until now.

There are some areas which are very demanding. In some swamps and lakes the FPS drops, but inside cities it's very ok. This is mostly because there is less area to be rendered compared to the entire map as it happens when you're outside of a city.

I wouldn't recommend playing it on a machine with this type of video card, but it is playable. It's ok on my 11" Air because the screen is also small and you can lower the settings without losing that much detail, but on a bigger screen it would become a problem.

I think it would be fine on a MBP with dedicated graphics, or even better, an iMac.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
I haven't tried it on my mac mini yet (HD 3000), but you can run the game in a window. My suggestion would be to lower the details and run it in a smaller window so the number of pixels being rendered decreases. It's worth a shot. I run the Mac client on my iMac and it's nice. Haven't had a single issue yet.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
Haven't tested it myself, but with that HD4000 I'd stick to WoW if I were you.

I wouldn't recommend playing it on a machine with this type of video card, but it is playable. It's ok on my 11" Air because the screen is also small and you can lower the settings without losing that much detail, but on a bigger screen it would become a problem.

I'm thinking I may hold off on the game for a while. The Mac Mini is planned on being a temporary solution, till I can get a new iMac. My last iMac was 6 years old, the wife bought me a new 27" Thunderbolt Display so I picked up a mini cheap to be able to use the display.

I wish they had an option to play a demo or trial version of Guild Wars...

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I'm thinking I may hold off on the game for a while. The Mac Mini is planned on being a temporary solution, till I can get a new iMac. My last iMac was 6 years old, the wife bought me a new 27" Thunderbolt Display so I picked up a mini cheap to be able to use the display.

I wish they had an option to play a demo or trial version of Guild Wars...

but the mini has no actual graphics card mate, thats not good for modern games(that are demanding)!

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
From a tech support on the Mac GW2 forum posted a week ago;

Hey guys – I know you all really, really, want an update. I’m still in the process of collecting a lot of data in regards to known issues and whatnot and forwarding this all to the appropriate “Mac guys/gals” but at this time I really don’t have any new information to provide. The second I hear something I will be sure to let you all know!

It seems like people are feeling frustrated. As should they. The question is - can they really do anything substantial at this point?

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
They can't really do much as the whole thing is just a cider port. All the developing ever requires was putting the game in a wrapper, and I'm sure anyone can do that (and many people have for many games, which can be found from the internets).

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
From a tech support on the Mac GW2 forum posted a week ago;

It seems like people are feeling frustrated. As should they. The question is - can they really do anything substantial at this point?

I doubt it. I tried it recently on a mid-2011 27" iMac i5 3.1, 12 gigs RAM, Radeon 6970m 1 gig RAM.

The performance was terrible in my opinion. To get it playable I needed to run it at 1080p and low to medium settings and then it wasn't too bad but it didn't look all that great either. It kind of soured me on playing it. Everything else I run on this machine plays great so far, most recently Crysis at high settings in bootcamp was awesome and looked a hell of a lot better than GW2 despite its age. And that game still taxes modern hardware if you try to max it but on high it still looked fantastic.

The graphics for GW2 seem nice but I didn't think they were particularly remarkable enough to justify being extremely demanding leaving me to think the Cider port is the problem. I did not try it with Bootcamp to compare however. One huge download of the game was enough and I've since deleted bootcamp. It's Mac or bust around here.

Fortunately, I enjoy World of Warcraft which runs on ultra at 1440p smoothly for me. I've also noted that both LoTRO and DDO which are nice looking games run smoothly on this system on high settings.

For someone wanting to play in OS X, I don't think GW2 is worthwhile personally unless you are okay with low detail settings or have the latest 27" iMac with the best GPU option in it. You "might" get a decent experience that way.

Last edited:

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I doubt it. I tried it recently on a mid-2011 27" iMac i5 3.1, 12 gigs RAM, Radeon 6970m 1 gig RAM.

The performance was terrible in my opinion. To get it playable I needed to run it at 1080p and low to medium settings and then it wasn't too bad but it didn't look all that great either. It kind of soured me on playing it. Everything else I run on this machine plays great so far, most recently Crysis at high settings in bootcamp was awesome and looked a hell of a lot better than GW2 despite its age. And that game still taxes modern hardware if you try to max it but on high it still looked fantastic.

The graphics for GW2 seem nice but I didn't think they were particularly remarkable enough to justify being extremely demanding leaving me to think the Cider port is the problem. I did not try it with Bootcamp to compare however. One huge download of the game was enough and I've since deleted bootcamp. It's Mac or bust around here.

Fortunately, I enjoy World of Warcraft which runs on ultra at 1440p smoothly for me. I've also noted that both LoTRO and DDO which are nice looking games run smoothly on this system on high settings.

For someone wanting to play in OS X, I don't think GW2 is worthwhile personally unless you are okay with low detail settings or have the latest 27" iMac with the best GPU option in it. You "might" get a decent experience that way.

That is such a shame that there has been no improvements so far. It really is a terrific game with unprecedented value. The updates they have released every 2 weeks all year have been fantastic! Maybe something will happen later once more devs get into OpenCL!

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Guild Wars 2

Any updates on playability on a MBP 2.3 Ghz Core i7 with 8 GB 1600 DDR3 ram? I've been running it on 10.7.5 fine, but wanted to update my OS.

Thanks.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
Is there anyone with a top of the line Macbook Pro Retina playing this game? I'm very curious if it runs with all the options at maximum? And I don't mean 1080p, but the max resolution that the Mac offers.

I have the 2013 high-end rMBP (2.6ghz i7, 16GB memory, 1TB PCIe SSD, 750m) and yeah, it plays like **** with graphics on high and even medium sometimes.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I'm on a 2014 13" MBP Retina with 16GB RAM, i7 processor. It runs EXCELLENT--very smooth and crisp graphics. The fan kicks on when you start playing, but doesn't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.