Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awegew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Was I doing something wrong today or is it not possible to login with your email here? It has to be a unique identifier as part of the setup. Can I login with that instead of my username?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Was I doing something wrong today or is it not possible to login with your email here? It has to be a unique identifier as part of the setup. Can I login with that instead of my username?

Only usernames are supported for a login credential, not email addresses.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

Your username is separate to your email address used to sign up, and your email address will not work.

awegew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Is there any particular rationale for this? I mean I log into iCloud, google, yahoo, my bank, facebook, etc with my email. It's a required unique identifier that is used to create an account here. It makes absolutely no sense that you would require people to login with a second abstract string that they're prone to forget such as what I just did.

Had I not made this thread, I'd be trying to figure out how to track down what my username was.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Is there any particular rationale for this? I mean I log into iCloud, google, yahoo, my bank, facebook, etc with my email. It's a required unique identifier that is used to create an account here. It makes absolutely no sense that you would require people to login with a second abstract string that they're prone to forget such as what I just did.

Had I not made this thread, I'd be trying to figure out how to track down what my username was.

It's how the software was designed. I believe the rationale was because the software was originally built with the option to allow multiple people with the same email. Of course, your username is shown in the upper right hand corner of every page, and there is a forgot password form which will email you referring you to by your username.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I don't know for sure, but I have to assume that it's just how vbulletin works. You should consider using a password manager like LastPass or 1password. Then you won't have to try and remember everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.