Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As flash gains market share, the industry will increase manufacturing capacity, improve manufacturing capacity and costs will drive down. But the operative word is "soon". Eventually, flash memoy storage will become the standard internal storage media. Just not "soon". :)

No, flash has to be replaced by another solid state technology.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Wow those are so cool, I had no idea they even existed. What a great idea. :)

So basically, most of your everyday tasks are run from the 8GB flash cache? Is that enough to manage the operating system?

This might be my best bet, at the moment my Mac is running pretty slow, anything that could help it execute faster would be very welcome.

Is that Toshiba 1TB flash cache drive actually available yet?

I highly recommend going this route, I put the Momentus XT in my wife's 2011 MBP13 and the speed increase was significant. She gets 12 second boots and the majority of the OS is instantaneous. Its just a wee bit slower than FLASH until you have to do a big write or large data reads, in which case its much faster than it used to be because its spinning at 7200rpm. It's also only $150.

Since you're looking for ultimate capacity in your laptop, I would consider either using your old HD or a second large capacity HD with a data doubler in your optical drive spot. That should give you anywhere from 1TB to 2TB internal with a super-quick OS.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I highly recommend going this route, I put the Momentus XT in my wife's 2011 MBP13 and the speed increase was significant. She gets 12 second boots and the majority of the OS is instantaneous. Its just a wee bit slower than FLASH until you have to do a big write or large data reads, in which case its much faster than it used to be because its spinning at 7200rpm. It's also only $150.

Since you're looking for ultimate capacity in your laptop, I would consider either using your old HD or a second large capacity HD with a data doubler in your optical drive spot. That should give you anywhere from 1TB to 2TB internal with a super-quick OS.

Thanks, good advice. :) I should be updating in the next month or so. I'll report back how it went once it is installed and tested!

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Thanks! Looks good, although unfortunately it is still only 5400 rpm. Does anyone know if there are any drives on the market that spin at 7200 rpm @1TB capacity?

INTERNAL HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 (0J22423) 1.0 TB x 2
SPEED/CACHE: 7200RPM / 32MB (64MB in RAID 0)

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
INTERNAL HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 (0J22423) 1.0 TB x 2
SPEED/CACHE: 7200RPM / 32MB (64MB in RAID 0)

Ahh interesting! Thanks. However it is not a hybrid, so I guess the question is which would be faster:

- a 1TB 5400rpm 8GB flash-hybrid drive
OR
- a 1TB 7200rpm standard HDD?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
OK Thanks. Anyone else have any idea?

The hybrid will most likely be faster because anything you access regularly (i.e. OS) will be stored on the flash memory and anything that you do not (i.e. data files, applications) will not be. However, I'm pretty sure that I just read that Seagate is moving all of its Momentus XT drives (hybrid) to 5400rpm only.

Here's from Seagate directly:
http://origin-www.seagate.com/inter...-hard-drives/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

Basically, what hard drive manufacturers are finding is that the platter density is more than making up for the loss of RPM (going from 7200 to 5400) while running cooler and using less energy. Adding in the SSD, these fill a niche for people who can't afford 512GB SSD's (or 1TB for that matter), but still want faster than standard mechanical drives....

Dolfke

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
EU
SSD's 1TB

There are now, for my knowledge, 2 SSD with 1TB Capacity :

1. OWC
2. Crucial

Both are listed with 960 GB, the OWC for ca. 1.100 €, the Crucial will be much cheeper at ca. 600 €.

:cool:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I had both generations of Momentus XT, so I was waiting for the Toshiba hybrid.

But the Travelstar 7K1000 became available first, and I'm very happy with the purchase.

A hybrid would still help me with some minor issues, but I think that 7200 RPM helps me more for the important stuff, so I will be skipping any slower hybrid that is not bigger.

The biggest hard drive fitting PROPERLY in the MBP is the 1.5TB Toshiba Aquarius, but that is 5400RPM.

Dolfke

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
EU
Larger capacities wanted for 2.5" disks

As 3.5" disks are now reaching 6 TB, its sad to see the largest 2.5" disk is still 2 TB, and the largest 2.5" SSD even sticks at a ridiculous 1 TB limit ...

Wake up guys !! :cool:

:apple:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As 3.5" disks are now reaching 6 TB, its sad to see the largest 2.5" disk is still 2 TB, and the largest 2.5" SSD even sticks at a ridiculous 1 TB limit ...

Wake up guys !! ��

Even sadder is the fact that the 2TB Samsung/Seagate M9T has only been released within an external and not really as a bare drive.

And no new hybrids? Come on!

I remember news about some really expensive and rare 2.5" 2TB SSD in the past one or two years, but now there is a 2TB SATA Liteon (Plextor) with Marvell controller, although it seems it is directed to the enterprise market, and it would geared towards capacity, not performance (but really, when the alternative is a 5400RPM hard disk, who cares). I don't know when this Liteon will actually be available and at what price.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014

Wake up guys !! :cool:

They, and this 2-year-old thread, have been awakened! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.