Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmailicon.jpg
Google has updated its Gmail app to version 2.1, adding swipe controls that allow users to navigate backwards and forwards through emails without returning to the inbox.

Edit mode is now initiated when a message in the inbox is selected, allowing users to quickly organize emails into folders and add labels from the action bar at the top of the screen.
-Swipe left or right to move between messages without returning to the inbox.

-Take action on multiple messages more quickly: Selecting a message in the inbox now enables edit mode. Once in edit mode, tap on messages to select them and then choose to archive, delete, or more, from the new actions bar. You may select Cancel at any time to leave edit mode.

-And of course: performance improvements and bug fixes.
Gmail is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated with Ability to Swipe Between Messages

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
How about scalable fonts? It's been a big ask since the beginning. Not everyone has the vision of a 21 year old!

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
I like that it's push gmail but HATE the fact that it takes 10 seconds to open the app/any email..

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
How about scalable fonts? It's been a big ask since the beginning. Not everyone has the vision of a 21 year old!

Who are you kidding. 21 year olds have terrible vision. You are finally old enough to go to bars. I will take my vision now over the year I had near permanent beer goggle vision.

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
I just can't get over the 2 seconds it takes to load the app if it hasn't been used recently. Sounds ridiculous but what can I say, I'm spoiled. And yes I know this is an unfair advantage for Mail.app being built in.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It supports 3 out of 4 of my email accounts, but unfortunately one of my email accounts is from comcast and I can't just stop using it... here's hoping Apple adds (at least) swipe between messages in iOS 7 Mail!

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Nice features... Please take some notes here Apple. Swipe between mail messages - not a first, but just seems like common sense Apple.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Hmm... this is not working for me. I did update, then make sure the running app was killed... have any of you actually done the swipe to get to next/previous message?

Yeah....works fine. Make sure you start swiping from the edge of the screen.

madman365

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Open attachments?

Is this ever gonna be possible?
I mean, gMail on the iPhone is dead to me if it can't open attachments in other apps.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to do that?

Jon

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Nice features... Please take some notes here Apple. Swipe between mail messages - not a first, but just seems like common sense Apple.

What's wrong with the arrows in Mail?
Did Gmail app really not have any way to do this before?

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I just can't get over the 2 seconds it takes to load the app if it hasn't been used recently. Sounds ridiculous but what can I say, I'm spoiled. And yes I know this is an unfair advantage for Mail.app being built in.
It sometimes take over 10 seconds just to get to your inbox; Gmail version 1.x used to load up way faster.
I still use the app to send and tag emails, but if I only want to quickly check my inbox, I just use Mail.app.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Is it just or me does it actually seem to be a bit faster than before?

Also, anyone know why sometimes the account photo is not displayed, despite it being set?

Last edited:

numidian

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
I like the app, but in landscape mode the keyboard takes up almost all the real estate. It's a bit difficult to actually write an email this way.

talk

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2007
Missing features

I am not going to be one of those that says that gmail for ios should incorprate mailbox features. However, these are the features that I need most:

1. Unified inbox
2. easily add contact from an email.
3. Share links when you open them in the inside browser.
4. Open attachments in 3rd party apps
5. it's annoying that even the contacts are segregated between the email accounts, meaning that auto complete in email account1 only shows contacts of account1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.