Gmail for iOS Updated with Ability to Swipe Between Messages

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google has updated its Gmail app to version 2.1, adding swipe controls that allow users to navigate backwards and forwards through emails without returning to the inbox.

Edit mode is now initiated when a message in the inbox is selected, allowing users to quickly organize emails into folders and add labels from the action bar at the top of the screen.
    Gmail is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated with Ability to Swipe Between Messages

2. HMI
    macrumors 6502a

HMI

Nice features!

I'm still not using Google!

3. macrumors 65816

impulse462

GMail 2.0+ is actually a solid email client; however I use mailbox now.

4. macrumors member

How about scalable fonts? It's been a big ask since the beginning. Not everyone has the vision of a 21 year old!

5. macrumors member

I like that it's push gmail but HATE the fact that it takes 10 seconds to open the app/any email..

6. macrumors regular

Who are you kidding. 21 year olds have terrible vision. You are finally old enough to go to bars. I will take my vision now over the year I had near permanent beer goggle vision.

7. macrumors 6502a

built in gchat?

8. macrumors member

I just can't get over the 2 seconds it takes to load the app if it hasn't been used recently. Sounds ridiculous but what can I say, I'm spoiled. And yes I know this is an unfair advantage for Mail.app being built in.

9. macrumors regular

Just tested: the incorrect badge counter is fixed!

10. macrumors 6502a

BMcCoy

feels snappier to me, too.....

11. macrumors 6502

Guess I'm going back to the Gmail app then!

12. macrumors P6

What was this all about?

13. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

It supports 3 out of 4 of my email accounts, but unfortunately one of my email accounts is from comcast and I can't just stop using it... here's hoping Apple adds (at least) swipe between messages in iOS 7 Mail!

14. macrumors 6502

Nice features... Please take some notes here Apple. Swipe between mail messages - not a first, but just seems like common sense Apple.

15. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hmm... this is not working for me. I did update, then make sure the running app was killed... have any of you actually done the swipe to get to next/previous message?

16. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yeah....works fine. Make sure you start swiping from the edge of the screen.

17. macrumors newbie

Open attachments?

Is this ever gonna be possible?
    I mean, gMail on the iPhone is dead to me if it can't open attachments in other apps.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to do that?

Jon

18. JAT
    macrumors 603

What's wrong with the arrows in Mail?
    Did Gmail app really not have any way to do this before?

19. macrumors 6502

It did, but this is just a nice feature... more intuitive IMO.

20. macrumors 6502a

It sometimes take over 10 seconds just to get to your inbox; Gmail version 1.x used to load up way faster.
    I still use the app to send and tag emails, but if I only want to quickly check my inbox, I just use Mail.app.

21. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Interesting - it works with my iPhone 3GS but not my iPad Mini.

While the iPad Gmail display is somewhat different than on the iPhone, I'd still think it would be a useful feature.

22. macrumors regular

Same here. As you can't hide the message list on the iPad I guess they didn't see it as important. Hiding the message list to get full screen email, particularly in portrait mode, is my biggest wish with the Gmail app at the moment.

Alec

23. interconnect, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

macrumors regular

interconnect

Is it just or me does it actually seem to be a bit faster than before?

Also, anyone know why sometimes the account photo is not displayed, despite it being set?

24. macrumors newbie

I like the app, but in landscape mode the keyboard takes up almost all the real estate. It's a bit difficult to actually write an email this way.

25. macrumors newbie

Missing features

I am not going to be one of those that says that gmail for ios should incorprate mailbox features. However, these are the features that I need most:

1. Unified inbox
    2. easily add contact from an email.
    3. Share links when you open them in the inside browser.
    4. Open attachments in 3rd party apps
    5. it's annoying that even the contacts are segregated between the email accounts, meaning that auto complete in email account1 only shows contacts of account1.