Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
The point being even with a fully charged 4S with a 2000 mAh portable charger, the Note 2 last longer doing near exactly the same task.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on this. My coworkers Note 2 rarely lasts as long as my iPhone 5 when we're both doing the exact same thing, Internet browsing. The sad thing is, he tries to cover it up with excuses. Not that I bug him about it, but still. The phone is great I'm sure, but don't make excuses for its shortcomings.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I'm sorry, but I call BS on this. My coworkers Note 2 rarely lasts as long as my iPhone 5 when we're both doing the exact same thing, Internet browsing. The sad thing is, he tries to cover it up with excuses. Not that I bug him about it, but still. The phone is great I'm sure, but don't make excuses for its shortcomings.

My coworker has the note 2 and the other has the iphone 5.

Guess who is ALWAYS needing a charge.

Here's a hint, it isn't the note!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Why would I make excuses for its short comings? I don't own one, never will own one and frankly think its over sized to be useful (for me).

I posted a screen shot of real world usage and with the efficiency loss between two battery's (typically 2000 mAh can't charge an iPhones battery to 100% from 0%) I'll get 8 hours of usage.

Here's a pic of the portable battery. If that helps you.

yqyzeqab.jpg

I could listen to music with screen off and post some outrageously high usage amount if it makes you feel any better, but the fact is with my usage which includes poor reception the iPhone is lacking in comparison to phone with huge batteries.

If the Razr Maxx gets amazing battery life with a 3300 battery then why wouldn't the Note 2 also get exceptional battery life when in REAL WORLD the phone spends most of its time with its screen off? Or are you saying that the Maxx also gets poor battery life and the iPhone is the best at everything?

If I was making excuses for shortcomings wouldn't it be for the device I preferred and used? :confused:

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
That wasn't directed towards you my friend. It was more of a shout at my coworker who isn't reading this. Sorry about that.

seetoyuxiang

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013

Agreed. That mib1800 user from a page ago will hopefully have seen this. Doing heavy duty stuff I can't think of any android that can beat the iPhone in battery except for the RAZR MAXX HD+ or whatever they call it, and probably the Snapdragon GS4.

Oh well the next iPhone 5S will be king in the never ending quest.

----------

I have a hard time believing these Anandtech test. I went on a 4 day camping/backpacking trip and my 4S died on the second day in the morning while i slept while my buddies 5 died that evening. My friend with a Note 2 was down to 15% on the third day when we were setting up camp (evening) AND usage on the Note 2 was the highest because we'd check it for GPS to verify our maps. Regardless it wasnt even close.

The battery life on the 5 would need to be doubled of the 4S to even get close. I've only seen praising of the Note 2 battery life meanwhile there are tons and tons of threads in the iPhone and iOS section here of people complaining about poor iPhone 5 battery life. While those might be software related they still exist. I don't know I don't have charts or anything just real world experience.

Mind asking your friend if he had powered off his Note 2 in between usage? Cos that's what many people do with their androids (hahaha, every morning on the subway I see people powering on their androids). Otherwise I find your statement to be a little unbelievable.

He probably have had been swapping batteries or if not he probably would have fitted a 7000mAh extended battery or something. Which could be an explanation for the longevity of his phone. Or if not he might have power saving apps installed, and services turned off while you and your friends iPhone 5 probably had services on or something. There are too many variable to your comparison.

Also, were you guys on the same phone network? Battery life will also greatly vary base on signal strength.

Last edited:

seetoyuxiang

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Why would I make excuses for its short comings? I don't own one, never will own one and frankly think its over sized to be useful (for me).

I posted a screen shot of real world usage and with the efficiency loss between two battery's (typically 2000 mAh can't charge an iPhones battery to 100% from 0%) I'll get 8 hours of usage.

Here's a pic of the portable battery. If that helps you.

I could listen to music with screen off and post some outrageously high usage amount if it makes you feel any better, but the fact is with my usage which includes poor reception the iPhone is lacking in comparison to phone with huge batteries.

If the Razr Maxx gets amazing battery life with a 3300 battery then why wouldn't the Note 2 also get exceptional battery life when in REAL WORLD the phone spends most of its time with its screen off? Or are you saying that the Maxx also gets poor battery life and the iPhone is the best at everything?

If I was making excuses for shortcomings wouldn't it be for the device I preferred and used? :confused:

That brings me to two other talking points. Firstly, how long have you been using the spare backup battery? You do know that such batteries can only be reused x number of times before their capacities drop right? On top of it I doubt you will be calibrating the spare battery. So the '2000mAh' has probably been reduced to a much smaller number.

Secondly, did you check what networks and the areas your coworkers live and travel to/in? Signal strength wise, for example if you were on AT&T with 2 bars while your coworkers are on Verizon with 4 bars of course your coworkers phone will last longer

Well, you also did not know how your coworkers use their phones. For all you know they could have just use their phones for music on the subway twice a day while you push the iPhone to the extreme.

Also, I agree with what the guy earlier. To truly experience the battery life of another phone, you have to own it and use it. Reading battery life reviews are not accurate enough as everyone's usage varies. I was stupid enough to even believe some sites saying that my previous Galaxy Nexus can last a whole day with 'conservative' use, when listening to music for half an hour can kill the Nexus battery by 3-5%, which is unacceptable. (The iPhone's never budges).

The examples you have given has too many variables to even be close to fair battery tests.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.