Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Nomad Lightning Cable, a 3-inch Lightning to USB cable, was a spectacular success when it hit Kickstarter back in November and now it is available for preorder for $24.99. Orders placed now are expected to be shipped in June.
A 3" Apple certified lightning USB cable for your key ring. Sync/Charge capability. The Nomad cable is perfect for use at work, in the car, at home, or anywhere on the go - it's there when you need it!
nomad.jpg
The team behind the Nomad worked directly with Apple, which means this is a fully Apple-certified Lightning accessory. The USB side of the Nomad locks into a keychain adapter, which makes it convenient to carry in a pocket alongside a set of keys.

Article Link: Nomad 3-Inch Lightning Cable Now Available for Preorder, Shipping in June

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Nice. I had a similar one for the dock connector. Very handy to keep in the back pack.

for $25 I may hold off for a bit though.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I would like to do this with the HDMI (Digital AV) adapter. Please provide investment capital. PM for paypal address ;)

But really.. a mobile HDMI adapter of this size would be awesome

EDIT: Didn't even notice the $25 price. I could just cut and splice an official (or knock-off) cable for much cheaper.

Last edited:

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys? No thank you.

Portable HDMI? YES PLEASE!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

MikBe

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Wouldn't a naked iPhone get scratched up by the keys? No thank you.

No because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass. I have my keys in my pocket with the phone all the time and never a scratch.

You can see some real world tests by going to YouTube and searching for "scratch test gorilla glass.'

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Everyone, please don't tell me that the concept of portability is completely lost on you...

Yes, it's $25. Yes, that's $25 for a very short cable. It's the same reason you pay several hundred dollars for a cell phone that isn't nearly as powerful as a laptop you could buy for about the same amount of money. Because it's portable. It's comfortable to have in your pocket whenever you need it. You're going to pay more for that convenience.

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2013
Everyone, please don't tell me that the concept of portability is completely lost on you...

Yes, it's $25. Yes, that's $25 for a very short cable. It's the same reason you pay several hundred dollars for a cell phone that isn't nearly as powerful as a laptop you could buy for about the same amount of money. Because it's portable. It's comfortable to have in your pocket whenever you need it. You're going to pay more for that convenience.

The difference is that short cable means less material used. When you are talking about hardware in general, its harder to make things smaller.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they spent millions of dollars on r&d to come up with a shorter cable. I think $9.99 would be a fair price.

xxnemoxx

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Dude Chinese suppliers have been selling these for $4 lol

(Yes, I've tried them & didn't have a problem with them SO FAR)
:)

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Eh, guess I'm not in need of this, but can someone please come up with a Male Lightning to Female Lightning extended length cable that support all pins. I want to extend the lightning side of my HDMI Digital AV Adapter and the ONLY place I can find a cable is on eBay from Hong Kong. Come on Apple, either you do it or allow someone to do it.

I have Pioneer Navi unit and the only way to use Advanced App Mode with iPhone 5 is the HDMI Digital AV Adapter.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
No because the iPhone has Gorilla Glass. I have my keys in my pocket with the phone all the time and never a scratch.

You can see some real world tests by going to YouTube and searching for "scratch test gorilla glass.'

Uh, and the aluminum? I'm guessing that's what was being referred to.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
ut can someone please come up with a Male Lightning to Female Lightning extended length cable that support all pins. I want to extend the lightning side of my HDMI Digital AV Adapter

OK. I'll bite. Why do you need to extend the adapter on the lightning side. Why not get a longer HDMI cable?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Thunderbolt version pleaaaaaase?

Don't care that its not faster, I'd just like to charge my iDevice without it hogging one of the precious few USB ports on the MBP.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
$25? Are they on crack? $4 cable off ebay. Keep wrapped up in wallet/car/briefcase/etc. Done.

They know they won't sell many at even half that price, so they
figure they might as well bend over the few Waldos who have to
have it no matter what it costs. Low volume, high margin, low hanging fruit.
Nice racket.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
3 inch? Is that practical? The only thing that is unique about this versus some generic knock-off or even the official Apple cable is the USB cap that attaches to a key ring. But I can buy a cap like that for $1 on eBay. Maybe it won't look as nice but seriously...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.