Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clee290

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Good job, Apple. Help other countries when in need but don't help your own country when there's a disaster.:mad:

What disaster is the US going through?

With almost 200 dead, thousands injured, thousands without homes, I think that's worse than whatever the US is going through right now.

Shouldn't it have been $8,888,888 then? :/

Well, they donated in Chinese currency, so I think the 8 million USD is a coincidence, maybe? :p

Cool to help but would be nice if it helped the people in America that need it lol

What Americans are those?

----------------------------

I mean no disrespect to the US, but come on, think about others for once.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
There will undoubtedly be an onslaught of annoying people complaining that they should have given more. And what exactly have you given? (to those complaining that haven't given).

I see where you are coming from, but how many Chinese companies donated money to the US during our last few natural disasters. I almost equate something like this to picking up the tab an upper class guys $50 steak at a restaurant when he forgets his wallet rather than giving the starving vet a couple $1 double cheeseburgers. Give to those who can give back to you. Better long term investment on your donation.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
That's a nice gesture of goodwill.

BUT please make sure all the money collected MUST go to the people in need. NOT the corrupt officials in China.

People in Hong Kong are discussing whether or not to donate money. That's because there are so many reports popping up recently, and saying that those officials stole the money and bought luxury products, houses, etc. (2008 Sichuan earthquake)

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
on one hand, i would be tempted to say that Cook is again licking Chinese a $$

but i have to admit that Apple also donated money when an earthquake struck Japan

but on the other hand, why not doing something in compassion with Boston ?

sure, charity is not a competition, and there should be no jalousy, but still, we can believe that Apple's gesture toward China is not purely innocent...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
That's a nice gesture of goodwill.

BUT please make sure all the money collected MUST go to the people in need. NOT the corrupt officials in China.

I'm always sceptical about fund raising such as this - i.e., Haiti, Tsunami 2004 etc. A good proportion of the money ends up in the wrong hands - making rich people richer instead of going to the people who actually need it.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
They donated... good for them. Stop complaining that they didn't donate more. How much did you donate?

thenameiszack

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
USA
good gesture yes, but wth?? they donate more oversees than to domestic causes? its their money to do with as they wish, but really... smh...

I do believe Apple donated 2.5 million to Hurricane Sandy relief just 5 months ago. Or did you already forget about that?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
good gesture yes, but wth?? they donate more oversees than to domestic causes? its their money to do with as they wish, but really... smh...

where are you getting that? a 2-second google search shows that last year Apple gave more than $50 million to Stanford University Hospitals alone.

you can "syh" all you want, but how much money did you give to charity last year? the 100million or so they gave out in charity last year might represent "only" 10% of its holdings, but I'm pretty sure I didn't give away 10% of my money last year either...

Entitlements... it's charity because it's voluntary.

Macintosh2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Here is the truth

Whether your sensitivities can handle the truth or not here it is:

Apple is majorly kissing butt by donating this money...they have been kissing Chinese butt for several years now..what ever China wants China gets..Period

The Chinese market is more important to Apple than any other, including the American Market...we are Poor and have no money, we are a Nation of Losers compared to the Potential of the Chinese Market..and Apple knows it very well. China is not saddled with crazy Liberal-Authored environmental laws designed to get everyone into birkenstocks and onto horses while the rest of the world advances.

Apple doesn't care about Chinese people in need....the 8 million is an investment.

China is a rich country. China could take care of this problem themselves but won't. It goes against their DNA. In China people have little if any value...fact of life.

China is taking advantage of Apple and of "Western Christian Charity"

Apple is not to be commended for doing anything here...it just is what it is.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009

Apple is majorly kissing butt by donating this money...they have been kissing Chinese butt for several years now..what ever China wants China gets..Period

Apple doesn't care about Chinese people in need....the 8 million is an investment.

China is a rich country. China could take care of this problem themselves but won't. It goes against their DNA. In China people have little if any value...fact of life.

Even if it's all business, it's still being donated and helping others, even if the end game is to help themselves.

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
the really sad thing is that they might of wanted to do the right thing and donate 10 times that but history shows us that companies who donate lots or pay to correct problems always take a stock hit for it. sad state the world is in when being charitable is frowned upon in the business world.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
A good gesture and surely nothing to complain about. But I bet Apple's Chinese Marketing team made some attempts to get this deal after the warranty affair.

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006

The Chinese market is more important to Apple than any other, including the American Market...we are Poor and have no money, we are a Nation of Losers compared to the Potential of the Chinese Market..and Apple knows it very well. China is not saddled with crazy Liberal-Authored environmental laws designed to get everyone into birkenstocks and onto horses while the rest of the world advances.

This exactly.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What disaster is the US going through?

With almost 200 dead, thousands injured, thousands without homes, I think that's worse than whatever the US is going through right now.

Well, they donated in Chinese currency, so I think the 8 million USD is a coincidence, maybe? :p

What Americans are those?

----------------------------

I mean no disrespect to the US, but come on, think about others for once.

Oh please - the chinese are already getting a discounted (cheaper) iPhone. Clearly Apple could spend that money subsidizing people in the US who can't yet afford an iPhone. It's every US citizen's right to own one. I think it's in the constitution or bible or something :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Would you prefer an earthquake in China, and Apple donate money to China, or would you rather have an earthquake in your hometown, and Apple donating money to your home town?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.