Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Whether your sensitivities can handle the truth or not here it is:

Apple is majorly kissing butt by donating this money...they have been kissing Chinese butt for several years now..what ever China wants China gets..Period

The Chinese market is more important to Apple than any other, including the American Market...we are Poor and have no money, we are a Nation of Losers compared to the Potential of the Chinese Market..and Apple knows it very well. China is not saddled with crazy Liberal-Authored environmental laws designed to get everyone into birkenstocks and onto horses while the rest of the world advances.

Apple doesn't care about Chinese people in need....the 8 million is an investment.

China is a rich country. China could take care of this problem themselves but won't. It goes against their DNA. In China people have little if any value...fact of life.

China is taking advantage of Apple and of "Western Christian Charity"

Apple is not to be commended for doing anything here...it just is what it is.

Apple donated when the earthquake hit Japan. They donated for Hurricane Sandy. You can say it's an investment, but it's not kissing China's ***.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
"How can we spin this generosity into something negative" -- all the Apple Haters and they are legion.

"Oh -- well,... it's not enough!" will surely be tops!

Apple, well done.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I knew reading these comments would be a bad idea, yet I just couldn't help myself.

Rather than picking them apart for what they haven't done, why not commend them for helping?

My thoughts exactly. I find myself avoiding the comments more and more when it comes to posts like this. It's a shame since this is a FORUM.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Well a win win I guess. Great for Apple's marketing and great for the earthquake relief.
YEAH... Marketing. None of those higher-ups care about people at all... it's just about making money and looking good. :mad:

Kilamite -- yours was a very lame comment.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Call me cynical, but I think this is just to offset some of the heat they're facing in China.

This is exactly what this is. Apple sees China as its Golden Goose, but the Chinese government is hellbent on publicly bashing Apple. This is nothing more than a nice little bribe. And I wonder how they came up with $8 million. Why not 10, why not 50?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I knew reading these comments would be a bad idea, yet I just couldn't help myself.

Rather than picking them apart for what they haven't done, why not commend them for helping?

Its funny huh? The same people who will defend the big :apple: if Android is mentioned and are probably in love with their iPhones, are the same who tear Apple apart because of this donation.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Awesome for Apple to help like that! I wonder what they are doing for the victims here in the US? Like the survivors of the Boston bomb or the fertilizer explosion in west Texas?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
"They help us make billions of dollars every year... yeah a fraction of a cent on the dollar should do..." - Apple

China already makes billions of dollars every year by helping Apple make billions of dollars every year - via Apple hardware manufacturing.

It's called "business."

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
YEAH... Marketing. None of those higher-ups care about people at all... it's just about making money and looking good. :mad:

Kilamite -- yours was a very lame comment.

Yes of course, you had drinks with Tim yesterday and today you were having lunch with Jon Ivy and both of them told you they don't care about people at all.

You on the other hand, you donated half your paycheck on Friday, volunteered at the soup kitchen last night, and posted this from your iPhone while building a habitat for humanity.

Aren't you awsome and everyone else is evil

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So, how much has Samsung, Google, Dell, and all the others kicked in to help? :rolleyes:

Maybe they're just not advertising it on their website's front page.

----------

China already makes billions of dollars every year by helping Apple make billions of dollars every year - via Apple hardware manufacturing.

It's called "business."

As someone deftly pointed out to me, Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, not Chinese. Maybe China's not making as much as you think.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
$8,000,000 cash, volunteers from their own workforce, and unspecified free hardware devices. Apple, you heartless bastards! <sarcasm>

Seriously, is it possible for some of you to stop being such snarky, sniveling jerks? I mean, it's $8,000,000!!

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Makes me wonder why they never donate to...hmm... let say Ethiopia ;) , which by the way don't have that $$$godzilion$$$ sitting in their banks quite oppose to China

Apple donated to Sandy too and collected money on behalf of Katrina victims... and the United States is a very wealthy country...

----------

This is exactly what this is. Apple sees China as its Golden Goose, but the Chinese government is hellbent on publicly bashing Apple. This is nothing more than a nice little bribe. And I wonder how they came up with $8 million. Why not 10, why not 50?

Shows how much you know about Chinese culture or China.

8 is a lucky number.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Next up, Samsung counters with a $10 million "S-Donation."

Well according to the Techinasia.com article this came from, Samsung not only donated prior to Apple but for more (Not by much). So I guess Apple is the copycat eh?

Why are you trying to turn this into some charity epeen contest and bringing Samsung up? Oh that is right... gotta sate that hatred hard-on you have for Samsung and Koreans right?

Side note, I find it amusing that the comments for this Article are made up of 48% "Apple R Cheapskatez!" and 48% "People calling Apple R Cheapskatez suxx0rz"... the rest of the comments are from people who aren't ridiculous internet personas.

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
My thoughts exactly. I find myself avoiding the comments more and more when it comes to posts like this. It's a shame since this is a FORUM.

Completely agree. It used to be nice posting here, but the editors (and yes, it is the editors) have baited people so much that its just a sea of hate. Link bate comes at a cost, it kills your community.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Next up, Samsung counters with a $10 million "S-Donation."

The funny thing about your posts in this thread are that you are quick to correct someone when Apple is compared to Microsoft (vs Gates) and yet immediately go to slam Samsung for potentially copying Apple by DONATING to a worthy cause.

First of all - as been mentioned. They already gave.

Second - Please let me know when giving to those in need is something to criticize - regardless of what company is doing it. If every tech company followed suit - whether it was Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC or whoever hgave "first" (as if that matters) that's a good thing. Not something to mock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.