Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Multiple reasons. Some valid, many more just complaints about insignificant things. For example, Apple's "focus" on iOS.

Most of what I read in these beta threads are:
-Shutdown
-Startup
-OpenGL
-Safari

I haven't read many complaints in these beta threads about the "focus on iOS", aside from the fact that they did move people from OS X to iOS apparently.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Most of what I read in these beta threads are:
-Shutdown
-Startup
-OpenGL
-Safari

I haven't read many complaints in these beta threads about the "focus on iOS", aside from the fact that they did move people from OS X to iOS apparently.

From THIS thread:
Now it seems iOS and social networking integration are main focuses
Hope the social media hype is over soon.....

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Okay, yes, there are a tiny amount of people who do these sorts of things. I'm just saying that 80% of complaints would die out if they worked on those areas.

As well, those "complaints" of iOS and social media integration have merit as they have been focusing much of their software engineering on those features with less focus on OpenGL and improved graphics support (these beta's address such but as a developer there has been little momentum in advancements). Pro-Apps such as Aperture and Final Cut Pro X even have Facebook integration. Many threads with professional photographers address the frustrations regarding Apple's lack of pro-apps aside from social media integration which most do not use as it leads to little business aside from people "liking" their page and asking for free head-shots or work. This has been a contention with those of us who have used pro-apps for years for work. Adobe has picked up in the pro department, their latest Lightroom release is winning praise from photographers as many are leaving Aperture due to Apple's neglect for Adobe CS6. A few years ago this would have been laughed at as Apple was doing well.

Those who claim the pro-market is "niche" are now eating those words as Apple stock is tumbling and a large amount of the pro-market has switched to other platforms and pro-apps. While not a large market as the consumer market, the consumer market has become over saturated, and growth (outside of China which has proven difficult for Apple to tap into) is flatlining. The pro-market has bank, a lot of, and much of that goes into updating hardware and software licenses. Doing the math, that "niche" market is still a large percentage profit wise when studios and businesses have tens if not hundreds of thousands to spend on upgrades. That isn't chump change.

HFS+ is long in the tooth, especially as large volumes and servers are becoming commonplace in the average home (shame ZFS licensing fell to the wayside as Apple did explore ZFS in Leopard beta's, which would have improved OS X use of large volumes such as Time Machine and media storage). My parents even have a Synology DS212j with a Mac Mini as their HTPC. Linux based, which means OS X has to use SMB or AFP to access media outside of Synology's Assistant app. 10.7 had the worst revamp in network protocols, much of which was remedied with 10.8 but still needs some improvements. A good deal would be facilitated by quicker adoption of wireless ac. Apple was ahead of the game when they adopted Wireless-N years ago before many big players, what is keeping them from being ahead of the curve in wireless ac hardware and supporting kexts? This is a deviation from OS X advancements that made OS X a better OS.

Multiple reasons. Some valid, many more just complaints about insignificant things. For example, Apple's "focus" on iOS.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the least, you have some very valid points that I absolutely recognize. Social media, whether fad or not, is a big market and Apple is wise in integrating such into their main products. However, much of Forstall's influence in Apple was strong arming OS X engineers into further iOS integration at the cost of a more stable and advanced OS X. Recall that Leopard was delayed a few times as iOS development pulled OS X engineers away. Apple is notorious for hiring cross platform engineers and keeping a small team as Jobs wanted to know everyone on the teams and keep a tight hold on those engineers. This was one of many factors that lead to Serlet leaving and Federighi taking over OS X software engineering with 10.7. 10.6 Snow Leopard was (arguably) one of the most polished OS X releases to date. Serlet became increasingly frustrated with engineer focus on iOS and Forstall's influence over Jobs. Serlet had little to do with 10.7 Lion, that was Federighi's baby. We all know how that went.

I know first hand this has been happening with OS X. It is a shame as past OS X updates were generally ahead of the curve, that has absolutely changed since 10.7.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Hope they eventually fix:
- failure for mail client to authenticate yahoo and to keep asking for password,
- failure for wifi backup from my iPh 4s to my new Mac mini (seems not to wake from sleep)

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
As well, those "complaints" of iOS and social media integration have merit as they have been focusing much of their software engineering on those features with less focus on OpenGL and improved graphics support (these beta's address such but as a developer there has been little momentum), pro-Apps such as Aperture and Final Cut Pro X even have Facebook integration.
I highly doubt it take a substantial amount of resources to include Facebook integration in an app. Accordingly, I doubt it has a substantial effect on development of this software.
Many threads with professional photographers address the frustrations regarding Apple's lack of pro-apps aside from social media integration which most do not use as it leads to little business aside from people "liking" their page and asking for free head-shots or work. This has been a contention with those of us who have used pro-apps for years for work. Adobe has picked up in the pro department, their latest Lightroom release is winning praise from photographers as many are leaving Aperture due to Apple's neglect for Adobe CS6.
Yawn.

HFS+ is long in the tooth, especially as large volumes and servers are becoming commonplace in the average home (shame ZFS licensing fell to the wayside as Apple did explore ZFS in Leopard beta's, which would have improved OS X use of large volumes such as Time Machine and media storage). My parents even have a Synology DS212j with a Mac Mini as their HTPC. Linux based, which means OS X has to use SMB or AFP to access media outside of Synology's Assistant app. 10.7 had the worst revamp in network protocols, much of which was remedied with 10.8 but still needs some improvements. A good deal would be facilitated by quicker adoption of wireless ac. Apple was ahead of the game when they adopted Wireless-N years ago before many big players, what is keeping them from being ahead of the curve in wireless ac hardware and supporting kexts? This is a deviation from OS X advancements that made OS X a better OS.
It's likely that Macs will 802.11ac this year. That's pretty early adoption.

However, much of Forstall's influence in Apple was strong arming OS X engineers into further iOS integration at the cost of a more stable and advanced OS X.
Baseless. Let me be clear though, that integration is one of the best features of iOS and Mac.
Recall that Leopard was delayed a few times as iOS development pulled OS X engineers away.
And as of a result, they had two OS release the same year, and everyone was happy. This practice is not uncommon, and happened LONG before you are claiming things went to hell. So shouldn't that be a sign that Apple is acting as it always acted?
Apple is notorious for hiring cross platform engineers and keeping a small team as Jobs wanted to know everyone on the teams and keep a tight hold on those engineers. This was one of many factors that lead to Serlet leaving and Federighi taking over OS X software engineering with 10.7. 10.6 Snow Leopard was (arguably) one of the most polished OS X releases to date. Serlet became increasingly frustrated with engineer focus on iOS and Forstall's influence over Jobs. Serlet had little to do with 10.7 Lion, that was Federighi's baby. We all know how that went.
Is there anything credible to support any of this?

I know first hand this has been happening with OS X. It is a shame as past OS X updates were generally ahead of the curve, that has absolutely changed since 10.7.
As Windows struggles to get notification center, and has switched to a yearly model just to keep up...Yeah. Seems legit.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I highly doubt it take a substantial amount of resources to include Facebook integration in an app. Accordingly, I doubt it has a substantial effect on development of this software. Yawn.

It's likely that Macs will 802.11ac this year. That's pretty early adoption.

Baseless. And as of a result, they had two OS release the same year, and everyone was happy. This practice is not uncommon, and happened LONG before you are claiming things went to hell. So shouldn't that be a sign that Apple is acting as it always acted? Is there anything credible to support any of this?

As Windows struggles to get notification center, and has switched to a yearly model just to keep up...Yeah. Seems legit.

"Yawn" and "baseless" replies with little to no sources to support such as opposed to the sources I referenced to support my claims comes across as disrespectful and pointless. I did not disrespect your comments and opinions with similar remarks, instead I respected and acknowledged your comments and responded with respectful and supported claims whereas your responses are personal and lack merit as they are opinion based.

As for Serlet, it's already widely known that many at Cupertino did not agree nor respect Scott Forstall's influence. Cue and Mansfield being the most vocal, and Serlet's departure was in part due to his frustrations with Forstall's influence over OS X development. If you need sources, Google is a good place to start. Scott Forstall's firing alongside S.V.P. of Retail John Browett's short lived tenure (April-Oct 2012) was a long time in coming and one reason why Bob Mansfield decided on delaying his retirement that was announced earlier in 2012. In fact, MacRumors covered this last November:

Bob Mansfield's Return to Apple Reportedly Influenced by Scott Forstall's Departure

There's a source to back that claim right off this site :)

Lastly, as I have not respond disrespectfully, it is not unreasonable to expect a mature and cordial response. As such, unless you wish to continue this respectfully or in PM's, nothing more needs to be addressed, especially at the expense of members who wish to engage in informative and cordial exchanges. Otherwise, it seems juvenile. :)

Last edited:

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Anyone noticed that they've replaced the "Wi-Fi Diagnostics" app (/System/Library/CoreServices/Wi-Fi\ Diagnostics.app/) with "Wireless Diagnostics" (/System/Library/CoreServices/Wireless\ Diagnostics.app/)?
This new one seems to lack the "Network Utilities" functionality where especially the Wi-Fi Scan tool was pretty useful.

Update: It actually changed in the first beta 12E27.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
You mean WebKit!?

No idea but it seems like it isn't that big of a memory hog,used my normal usage,normal would be like 800MB web content usage and 700-800 inactive memory,after upgrading 320MB inactive and 680MB active for the web content one so it seems to be better managing it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Anyone noticed that they've replaced the "Wi-Fi Diagnostics" app (/System/Library/CoreServices/Wi-Fi\ Diagnostics.app/) with "Wireless Diagnostics" (/System/Library/CoreServices/Wireless\ Diagnostics.app/)?
This new one seems to lack the "Network Utilities" functionality where especially the Wi-Fi Scan tool was pretty useful.

Update: It actually changed in the first beta 12E27.

Good catch. Running it right now, definitely an interesting change. I still prefer using the Alt/Option key while clicking on the Airport menu item as well as Wi-Fi in System Report for more information on channels, transmit rates and information on other local wireless networks to fine tune my WLAN and systems. :)

I also noticed "Network Diagnostics" in CoreServices. What is the difference? One is purely for Wireless networking, while the other for more robust networking diagnostics? Thanks!

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I also noticed "Network Diagnostics" in CoreServices. What is the difference? One is purely for Wireless networking, while the other for more robust networking diagnostics? Thanks!
Yes, I noticed that too. It seems to be some sort of general "step-by-step" network connectivity troubleshooting/setup tool.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, I noticed that too. It seems to be some sort of general "step-by-step" network connectivity troubleshooting/setup tool.

Interestingly, you can keep it running in the background to monitor your wireless connectivity. I assume that means you can get a log and summary of how your connection performs/ed and methods to improve it.

Attachments

• Wireless Diagnostics.jpg
    Wireless Diagnostics.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 122

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
As for Serlet, it's already widely known that many at Cupertino did not agree nor respect Scott Forstall's influence. Cue and Mansfield being the most vocal, and Serlet's departure was in part due to his frustrations with Forstall's influence over OS X development. If you need sources, Google is a good place to start. Scott Forstall's firing alongside S.V.P. of Retail John Browett's short lived tenure (April-Oct 2012) was a long time in coming and one reason why Bob Mansfield decided on delaying his retirement that was announced earlier in 2012. In fact, MacRumors covered this last November:

Bob Mansfield's Return to Apple Reportedly Influenced by Scott Forstall's Departure

I read your post earlier this day regarding Bertrand Serlet and his departure.
I have always ask myself, why did Serlet leave?

We never saw him in day to day business, nor Ive, Forstall or Federighi, but over the years I got the feeling that Serlet and Tevanian where OS designer one of a kind.
I searched a little bit and was able to find tension between Forstall and Ive as well as Mansfield and Forstall but nothing regarding Forstall and Serlet.

I think you maybe have some insight we don't have. I am eager to learn more about this but I know that this forum is not the quite place to share information like that.

Sometimes I wish Serlet will return to Apple and become a dream team together with Ive.

Thanks for your posts.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
"Yawn" and "baseless" replies with little to no sources to support such as opposed to the sources I referenced to support my claims comes across as disrespectful and pointless. I did not disrespect your comments and opinions with similar remarks, instead I respected and acknowledged your comments and responded with respectful and supported claims whereas your responses are personal and lack merit as they are opinion based.
You didn't source anything, you simply made conclusions. That's the very definition of the word "baseless."

There is a fundamental difference between saying Apple employees didn't like Forstall's attitude and Serlet left because Forstall wanted iOS integration and Serlet didn't. You are simply making that up. In fact, Serlet had nothing but compliments for Mac OS X Lion. Such as: "Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years," Serlet said at the time. "Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless."

It's not disrespectful for me to call out a baseless claim for being baseless. It simply isn't. I'm sorry you find it to be.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
In fact, Serlet had nothing but compliments for Mac OS X Lion. Such as: "Craig has done a great job managing the Mac OS team for the past two years," Serlet said at the time. "Lion is a great release and the transition should be seamless."

Although Serlet wasn't an Apple employee by that time, he is part of Apple.
It's his "job" to speak in favor about Apple products and employees. That's what I would do. It's a question of character.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Although Serlet wasn't an Apple employee by that time, he is part of Apple.
It's his "job" to speak in favor about Apple products and employees. That's what I would do. It's a question of character.

I don't really care why he said it, the point is that there wasn't some huge conflict with Serlet and iOS integration.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Lastly, as I have not respond disrespectfully, it is not unreasonable to expect a mature and cordial response. As such, unless you wish to continue this respectfully or in PM's, nothing more needs to be addressed, especially at the expense of members who wish to engage in informative and cordial exchanges. Otherwise, it seems juvenile. :)

Those are not really sources. This site is called macrumors, not macnews. We have no idea why exactly Forstall was fired. We have speculations.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't really care why he said it, the point is that there wasn't some huge conflict with Serlet and iOS integration.

Do you have any proof there wasn't? Double edged sword ;)

It's not disrespectful for me to call out a baseless claim for being baseless. It simply isn't. I'm sorry you find it to be.

It's your tone, reread your comment #33. Terse replies such as "Yawn" and "Baseless" and "Yeah, seems legit" have an intended sarcastic tone, something I have noticed is characteristic of your comments.

Nothing more needs to be stated, don't wish to hijack this thread. Let's agree to disagree and move on civilly.

I think you maybe have some insight we don't have. I am eager to learn more about this but I know that this forum is not the quite place to share information like that.

Sometimes I wish Serlet will return to Apple and become a dream team together with Ive.

Thanks for your posts.

I agree, I wish Serlet would return. As it stands, he is on the board for Parallels, Inc. He stated he needed a change, about it, however my friends Jackee in FCPX design team and a few others I know in Cupertino and Pixar have more than claimed Serlet's departure was in part, not totally, due to Forstall's attitude and control over OS X development with iOS. As someone pointed out, many at Apple had issues with Forstall, certainly Serlet who headed OS X development that was being directed towards Forstall's iOS department played a key in Serlet's departure. Serlet had been with Apple and NeXT for quite a long time, and was wholly responsible for 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard. As is known, Leopard was delayed as iOS shifted OS X engineers to iOS development, something I can assure you Serlet was disgruntled by. Is it baseless? That's for some to decide. However, given the general animosity toward Forstall by many, it isn't a huge leap in logic to realize that OS X development became intrinsically tied to iOS development and suffered due to it as far back as 10.5. Knowing what I personally know, Serlet was unable to express such as part of his departure with Apple, so of course mainstream knowledge of such is limited at best. This seems a moot point to argue with some, so I'll leave that as it is :).

interesting update, the Wireless Diagnostic utility returned with this:

Attachments

• Update.jpg
    Update.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 118

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Do you have any proof there wasn't?
“I’ve worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science,” said Bertrand Serlet, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.

He stated why he left.

It's your tone, reread your comment #33. Terse replies such as "Yawn" and "Baseless" and "Yeah, seems legit" have an intended sarcastic tone, something I have noticed is characteristic of your comments.

Nothing more needs to be stated, don't wish to hijack this thread. Let's agree to disagree and move on civilly.
Yeah. I'm sarcastic. Most people can handle sarcasm better I suppose. We can move on though.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
“I’ve worked with Steve for 22 years and have had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, I want to focus less on products and more on science,” said Bertrand Serlet, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.

He stated why he left.

Yeah. I'm sarcastic. Most people can handle sarcasm better I suppose. We can move on though.

I agree, I wish Serlet would return. As it stands, he is on the board for Parallels, Inc. He stated he needed a change, about it, however my friends Jackee in FCPX design team and a few others I know in Cupertino and Pixar have more than claimed Serlet's departure was in part, not totally, due to Forstall's attitude and control over OS X development with iOS. As someone pointed out, many at Apple had issues with Forstall, certainly Serlet who headed OS X development that was being directed towards Forstall's iOS department played a key in Serlet's departure. Serlet had been with Apple and NeXT for quite a long time, and was wholly responsible for 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard. As is known, Leopard was delayed as iOS shifted OS X engineers to iOS development, something I can assure you Serlet was disgruntled by. Is it baseless? That's for some to decide. However, given the general animosity toward Forstall by many, it isn't a huge leap in logic to realize that OS X development became intrinsically tied to iOS development and suffered due to it as far back as 10.5. Knowing what I personally know, Serlet was unable to express such as part of his departure with Apple, so of course mainstream knowledge of such is limited at best. This seems a moot point to argue with some, so I'll leave that as it is :).

interesting update, the Wireless Diagnostic utility returned with this:
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I appreciate the kind response and I suppose I do have a thin skin. I'm 36 and I tend to get down when I see people argue online and taking it to a personal level, so I suppose that's where it comes from. Apologies :)

I agree with everything you wrote and you have excellent points. :)

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Did you notify them of your problems at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ ?

You really think Apple pays attention to user feedback? I've spent a significant amount of time on 4 different Macbooks (on 10.8.1 - 10.8.3 moreover) that reset the desktop background every time a reboot occurs... I reckon if Apple hasn't figured out how to simply make the desktop load correctly on bootup, they are miles away from helping users with more advanced issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.