Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeroen1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this thing, since I am kinda new to Macrumors.

This weird thing just happened to me; today I reinstalled my Macbook Pro 13", with the official USB stick which I bought at the Apple online store. After installing Lion (which I did using the previous mentioned stick), I upgraded to Mountain Lion and installed some of my most used apps (Chrome, Photoshop, Espresso).

Then, I wanted to install Twitter, so I fired up the App Store, searched for Twitter and clicked the nifty little "Install" button. I had to login to my Apple account... BUT, the e-mail address was filled in with an e-mail address I've never heard of (kyle_chenyujia at hotmail dot com). No one I know has this e-mail address, and besides, I didn't leave my laptop unattended today, it was right in my home, only my girlfriend was home, and she didn't touch it.

I ignored that fact, filled in my own e-mail address and password, and clicked the login button. Then, I got an "unknown error" Window popup. Whatever. I tried again, and again that mysterious e-mail address popped up.

I am quite puzzled, I can't seem to think of a cause other than an error at Cupertino, or a security breach...

Is this normal? Does this happen more?

EDIT: to make this more clear, I captured it in a video, which can be seen on Youtube

Last edited:

escaffe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
who is kyle chen yu jia?

Hi Jeroen,

I am in South Africa, and I just bought Macbook Pro 13" Retina with Mountain Lion, and i just updated to 10.8.2 and I just tried to download Twitter from the App Store and I just got that same email issue!

I googled the email address kyle_chenyujia at hotmail dot com and I got directed to this forum post, so here I am posting my issue.

How can we raise this to Apple?

I've also posted the pictures of the error and also Kyle's profile on Facebook.

main.php

main.php

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Wow, this is weird...

This happens to me as well when trying to download the Twitter app from the Mac App Store.

What the fel?

CristianMoisei

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
This happens because you have downloaded a pirated app.

Apps from the app store embed your email when you download them. One of your apps must have been uploaded to a torrent or pirate site by this guy or by someone who has access to his apps. If you want the update to go away you need to figure out which app you downloaded illegally and delete it.

Hope this helps.

corpusmind

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Help needed

Do you have the app Transmit installed? Delete the _MASReceipt folder embedded in it.

well i cant find this folder _MASReceipt anywhere on my mac even when showing hidden folders ! anyone for holding my hand ?

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Right-click on Transmit and click "show package contents".

I just found out that deleting the folder may render Transmit inoperable, so make a back up of it before you delete the MASReceipt folder.

SurfSpirit

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2006
ok, but what has app store to do with transmit app!??

Security flaw? Why should App Store dive into a completely different app called Transmit!???

corpusmind

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Right-click on Transmit and click "show package contents".

I just found out that deleting the folder may render Transmit inoperable, so make a back up of it before you delete the MASReceipt folder.

The point is not to delete but replace the folder MASReceipt by any other found in an app downloaded free from appstore ! I tried it works fine...

sjaxon

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Did anyone figure out how this happens, though? I mean, why would the app store try to draw this email out of the _MASReceipt folder from Transmit, of all places? Is it a risk to leave it and just change the login?

toasterdroid

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Confirmed to Work

Open Finder and Applications. Right click on any app you've bought from the app store > Show Package Contents > Contents and copy the MASReceipt folder. Open the Transit app the same way and paste the MASReceipt folder, overwriting the one already there (or delete it first). Close Finder and everything will be back to 'normal'.

Dambuster43

macrumors member
May 20, 2013
Hi Jeroen,

I am in South Africa, and I just bought Macbook Pro 13" Retina with Mountain Lion, and i just updated to 10.8.2 and I just tried to download Twitter from the App Store and I just got that same email issue!

I googled the email address kyle_chenyujia at hotmail dot com and I got directed to this forum post, so here I am posting my issue.

How can we raise this to Apple?

I've also posted the pictures of the error and also Kyle's profile on Facebook.

It may have been wiser to wait and see how things turn out.. after all you have a solution offered which works OK...
BTW.. I assume you also have Transmit installed .... did their support offer a solution?

Being new I dont think the forum allow PM ing....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.