Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It will be interesting to see what other features are in the update. Of the items mentioned here, none of them seem worthy of being highlighted as major consumer features as part of a "We're going to show you ten features today" keynote.

If that is all there is, maybe it should be $9.99 rather than $19.99.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple should cater for power uses on its iDevices - for one - allow side loading of applications without AppStore restrictions.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
"Additionally, Apple could use app-pausing technologies from iOS to pause background application processes in OS X. This is significant as full performance could be given to foreground apps, which could help optimize battery life on Apple’s notebook computers."

This is not multi-tasking; it's the opposite actually. Pausing background apps to give the foreground app full resources is not "multi". I really hope this is configurable somehow, or could be disabled.

I'd like to be able to continue rendering in the background while checking my gmail in the foreground.

Exactly that!

Also..i hope they won't bring Safari feature from iOS, when you open 5 tabs....and they almost all reload when you open them.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Sometimes I wish developer - focused rumors or announcements were kept secret to developers.

99% of this thread is full of mis-information, misunderstandings, and just causes FUD.

Examples:
1) Rumor mentions a couple features. Some people go off saying "all 10.9 is going to have is these features". Wow.
2) Rumor mentions adding some new functionality to OS X from iOS and the comments range from the insane to the stupid.
3) Then comments made about automatic/sudden termination and wow - what FUD.

I still hear from my dad occasionally (who refuses to upgrade to ML because of garbage he's heard from the forums that is not true) about junk like this. It just hurts everybody, wastes my time, and wastes the time of everyone who starts getting scared based on rumors and misinformation.

Thankfully there are a couple people here who know what they're talking about, but its like going against a tidal wave.

----------

Exactly that!

Also..i hope they won't bring Safari feature from iOS, when you open 5 tabs....and they almost all reload when you open them.

That's a low memory response. They hold their webview contents until memory is exhausted and then clear them out.

----------

Apple should cater for power uses on its iDevices - for one - allow side loading of applications without AppStore restrictions.

Agreed, but not the point of this thread.

----------

It will be interesting to see what other features are in the update. Of the items mentioned here, none of them seem worthy of being highlighted as major consumer features as part of a "We're going to show you ten features today" keynote.

If that is all there is, maybe it should be $9.99 rather than $19.99.

Its a rumor of some user features and some developer-focused features. Its not Apple's presentation. Why would anyone think this is equivalent?

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
It's because of Steve and his protégé Scott Forstall that we have iOS littered with fugly skeuomorphism. I wouldn't be surprised if Ive has hated the UI for a long time but because Steve liked it (and in Steve's world Ive was hardware design only) he had no ability to change it. Based on the rumors from Gruber and Rene Ritchie I'm cautiously optimistic iOS 7 will be a lot more visually pleasing. :)

So now all of a sudden everyone hates skeumorphism? Even thou like 99% of people never even heard of this word before Scott was fired from Apple some months ago.

----------

Sometimes I wish developer - focused rumors or announcements were kept secret to developers.

99% of this thread is full of mis-information, misunderstandings, and just causes FUD.

Examples:
1) Rumor mentions a couple features. Some people go off saying "all 10.9 is going to have is these features". Wow.
2) Rumor mentions adding some new functionality to OS X from iOS and the comments range from the insane to the stupid.
3) Then comments made about automatic/sudden termination and wow - what FUD.

I still hear from my dad occasionally (who refuses to upgrade to ML because of garbage he's heard from the forums that is not true) about junk like this. It just hurts everybody, wastes my time, and wastes the time of everyone who starts getting scared based on rumors and misinformation.

Thankfully there are a couple people here who know what they're talking about, but its like going against a tidal wave.

----------

That's a low memory response. They hold their webview contents until memory is exhausted and then clear them out.

----------

Agreed, but not the point of this thread.

----------

Its a rumor of some user features and some developer-focused features. Its not Apple's presentation. Why would anyone think this is equivalent?

aha of course you know everything. You are among the elite 1% of smart people...ah internet this days.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

I wasn't suggesting that these were the only features, rather was wondering aloud what else they might have in store.

As for the comment on pricing, I believe it is a fair question to ask. iOS updates are free and often add plenty of new features. If the major features of a new version of OS X are simply porting iOS features, I am not sure that it makes sense to command $20 for such an update.

If Apple does not want users to feel entitled to cheap/free software upgrades, then they should not have set the precedent with iOS. We talk all of the time about iOS being a gateway drug, but suddenly it is ludicrous to think that users will bring their expectations from iOS to OS X?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Good (...even perfunctory) Multiple Screen Support is well overdue, it's been a mess for ages. I'm sure there'll be some stupid stuff that changes or breaks previously perfect features in return though, there usually is.

(Yeah, I'd go with 'Grumpy Cat'!)

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Some people do that. It's called aliases on Mac OS X and shortcuts on Windows. I personally use Spotlight to launch apps not in my dock but that is muscle memory from before Launchpad existed. My Dad likes Launchpad. Launchpad shows ALL of your apps versus the dock which only shows a limited number. If you don't like it, then don't use it. But calling it unnecessary just because you don't want or like it is just stupid. The world does not revolve around your preferences.

Not just me. Plenty of threads on this site questioning the usefulness and implementation of Launchpad dating back to Lion. I don't hate it, but was just pointing out some things I find odd about it as well as offering the suggestion that Apple should reconsider the Dock concept entirely. Don't take it personal.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
What if I want to be rendering a video in the background while listening to a song in the background on youtube while editing a picture in forground.

Pausing apps in the background wont work unless its optional.

----------

How was Lion not a real update? I use versions, notes, reminders, etc single day. Possibly the most used update ever.

A real update is when they do more than just add a couple of apps to the OS. They are adding functionality this time around. Which is what OS updates are all about.

Now we are not too far away from OS XI... can't wait to see what leap they make w/ that one.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Not just me. Plenty of threads on this site questioning the usefulness and implementation of Launchpad dating back to Lion. I don't hate it, but was just pointing out some things I find odd about it as well as offering the suggestion that Apple should reconsider the Dock concept entirely. Don't take it personal.

You should heed your own advice. Some people like it, some people don't. It has nothing to do with you (not me) taking it personally.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I use a desktop. Battery life saving is useless for a computer permanently plugged into the mains. What I don't like about it is the possibility of my apps freezing unless they're being used. I like to run plenty of stuff in the background.

Well, I am using laptops. What do you suggest, that we fight it out? :p I have no idea how you conclude that your apps might be freezing. The new APIs would allow each application to tell the OS which parts should be run in the background and which not, so that background processing becomes more efficient. If anything, your performance will increase with the new APIs.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
This is an article about the operating system. A lack of mention of an application is neither here nor there

No but if they are mentioning the 'power user' then maybe there will be a Logic X / Final Cut Next X debut at WWDC to reaffirm its support for the core market :apple: has been losing.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
I am more interested on wether the new OSX update is going to improve all those memory hog issues the current ML one has.

I mean they mention Safari. I hope that besides being faster and snappier it will also be more resource efficient and not this memory hog thing it is now.

Man... I miss the old days where OS was so much more efficient and well optimized... and before anyone tells me that "our generation needs a lot more than what we needed back then", sorry but that is a bunch of BS. I will never ever accept that the same applications that are pretty much the same over the course of OS history and previously required only a few MB to run, now eat up GB of memory without providing anything significantly new...

Nowdays it seems like debs or coders just throw up everything without even caring about optimizing the os. Like "hey if it can't run, just install more RAM, problem solved" . Pathetic.

I will not upgrade if I see the same memory hog philosophy behind 10.9

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
"Additionally, Apple could use app-pausing technologies from iOS to pause background application processes in OS X. This is significant as full performance could be given to foreground apps, which could help optimize battery life on Apple’s notebook computers."

This is not multi-tasking; it's the opposite actually. Pausing background apps to give the foreground app full resources is not "multi". I really hope this is configurable somehow, or could be disabled.

I'd like to be able to continue rendering in the background while checking my gmail in the foreground.

I agree - this rumor is ridiculous. When will the rumor mongers realize iOS is not OS X. They don't understand what "multi-tasking" in iOS really is and why it seems different than OS X.

There is no reason this will ever be done. There is a crazy amount of processor resources available these days. The whole point of preemptive multi-tasking (OS X actually has many levels of priority for processes) is so users don't have to worry about what happens when. And that's for a single core system! If a user wants to save on battery - don't start processor intensive apps in the first place. Yikes. I better stop before I really start a rant… ;)

(note: I designed and implemented an RTOS for an embedded processor, so this rumor really made me see red. :eek: )

Last edited:

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Well, I am using laptops. What do you suggest, that we fight it out? :p I have no idea how you conclude that your apps might be freezing. The new APIs would allow each application to tell the OS which parts should be run in the background and which not, so that background processing becomes more efficient. If anything, your performance will increase with the new APIs.

Maybe because rumor is that is using iOS style of "multitasking" (which is anything but multitasking) which means that when you don't use app it goes to pause.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Since ios 7 is getting the nail polish what about os x? I hear there will be UI changes from 9to5 but that's quite vague, just gimme my color back and reduce or brighten up that barf inducing, retch piece of poo linen which is all over the place.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Ok, I may be feeding a troll here, but what multitasking processes do you find more compelling on Android than iOS? Personally, maybe I'm a "light user" but I don't really use multitasking all that much on my phone or iPad.

No need for calling names, just because you don't understand or use something. Many others don't understand why someone needs a "smart" phone, either.

Perhaps you a light user, or are simply so used to the iOS limitations that you think of them as death and taxes.

I use both an iPhone and an (older) Google phone. Once you get used to using a few apps at once on the Google phone, you start taking it for granted and then the limitations of iOS become annoying.

I gave a couple of examples above, but here we go again:

Turn on your flashlight, then try to make a phone call -- the moment you press the Home button to get to the Phone app, your flashlight goes instantly off. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but when I run in a dark park, it does to me.

Similarly with the sports-trackers I use -- the moment I try to do something like change a song, make a call, send a text, check email, or whatever, they stop tracking.

I am sure others have their own pet peeves, but the lack of multitasking and the lack of a decent keyboard and general customization are mine (the predictive SwiftKeyboard on Android is soooo much better, it makes the iOS keyboard look primitive and hard to deal with afterwards).

For me, the lack of multitasking is much less noticeable on my iPad, but then I don't carry it with me everywhere and I rarely multitask on it as I do on my phone.

I like my iPhone 5, it's gorgeous in terms of hardware and it makes my old Google phone look pitiful in comparison. But iOS is certainly getting too limiting and too stale compared to Android 4.2, and I am afraid it will just get worse when Android 5 gets announced in May.

The bottom line is, if they implement something as idiotically restrictive as iOS's multitasking in Os X, then I sure will start looking for alternatives for my laptops and desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.