Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Building on yesterday's report describing a "very, very flat" design for iOS 7, 9to5Mac reports that Apple is also looking to make significant improvements to vehicle integration with the next-generation mobile operating system. In particular, Apple is looking at ways to integrate Maps and Siri with the built-in displays increasingly found in cars.
According to people familiar with the plans, Apple is working with car makers on updated versions of car center consoles that could attach to iOS devices like the iPhone. Specifically, an iPhone could be plugged into a car and an optimized, redesigned version of Apple Maps will appear on the car's built-in display instead of a proprietary GPS system found in many cars.

Sources have described this as a feature akin to a video-out or mirrored display representation of the iPhone's Maps app onto the bigger screens included with most modern vehicles.
The report's sources warn that the actual integration may take some time to appear given the complexities of negotiating deals with car companies, testing, and required improvements to Apple's services infrastructure, but that the technology supporting the integration is coming as part of iOS 7.

siri_eyes_free_bmw.jpg
Siri Eyes Free mode
Apple last year announced an "Eyes Free" mode for Siri as part of iOS 6, but it took until February of this year for Chevrolet to become the first car manufacturer to offer the integration with its Spark and Sonic models. A number of manufacturers have, however, committed to support Eyes Free in their vehicles in the future.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Boost In-Car Integration of Maps and Siri in iOS 7

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I don't understand why the iphone is on a cradle and the BMW's navigation screen is right above it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean. In addtion, the dock allows for integration of Bluetooth, and audio via the BMW Link Application.

I have a '04 ZHP and my iPhone 4 is kept in my bag or glove box hidden from view and without the need of an ugly cradle (my automobile came with Bluetooth and Navigation).

That cradle really undermind's the clean dashboard.

Last edited:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
And then in 3~4 years the plug/design is changed and you are screwed if you want a new iPhone.

I guess really only beneficial to the people who buy new cars every few years.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Who's vantage point is that picture taken from? It looks like the guy has a second head on his right shoulder and that's whose perspective we're looking from, rather than anyone in the back or the driver's perspective.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Here comes all the Apple map slams. :p

Integration of devices like the iPhone and iPad to add intelligence to other devices like a car is really cool. Seems obvious, but this could be really cool in 3-5 years as other devices get enhanced by mobile devices. Love it.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Don't understand why the iphone is on a cradel and the BMW's navigation screen behind it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean.

That dock really undermind's the clean dashboard.

That's easy. Marketing. Showing two iconic designs that are instantly recognizable: BMW's propellers and the iPhone's shape, is a much better marketing piece than a phone in an armrest.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
And then in 3~4 years the plug/design is changed and you are screwed if you want a new iPhone.

I guess really only beneficial to the people who buy new cars every few years.
Wow, you're just unbelievable. 3-4 years? How come? The old 30-pin connector lasted 10 years and then you can get an adapter to the new one.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
*yawn* Whenever I hear about car integration I fall asleep. Car companies move way too slowly and the consumer upgrade cycle is way too long and the prices way too high for it to have even the slightest impact on my buying practice. I haven't bought a new car since the original iPhone came out and they're just now considering building in vaguely interesting support in the future. Well, I'm not planning on buying a new car, either, so I guess that's fine?

Cars seem to just now be getting AUX jacks regularly, and I'm pretty sure we were promised those when the iPod was new.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Who's vantage point is that picture taken from? It looks like the guy has a second head on his right shoulder and that's whose perspective we're looking from, rather than anyone in the back or the driver's perspective.

I'd say Shoulder Guy took it?!... :D
AuuqZVPCMAMyJXF.jpg:large

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I think they need to push iOS in these areas to stay important in the digital world outside smartphones. With Android being so open, it seems the natural choice for cars, heating systems, fridges etc etc. for the inevitable digital world.

Apple's insistance on having their software only run on Apple hardware could start to cause problems.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
My audi A6 has integrated Google Maps through a T-mobile 3G connection. Yes, I have to pay for an extra data plan for this, but way more reliable than Apple Maps.

The interface is a little clunky, though, that's where the iphone interface may be more helpful. The voice control for the Audi is horrendous, it makes Siri look like the best voice software ever made. (And maybe it is?)

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I think car integration is very overrated.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone can afford a new car to use these features. I'm still driving a 1999 POS. Not because I want to but because a new car is completely out of my budget for any time remotely in the future.

And these features will only exist on NEW vehicles. It's not like they can go back and add them to used cars, which is what a lot (if not most) Americans buy.

That being said, I'm afraid most people wouldn't get to use these features until these new vehicles are on the used market. And even then, the question would be if people could even afford the cars that are getting this integration.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Wow, you're just unbelievable. 3-4 years? How come? The old 30-pin connector lasted 10 years and then you can get an adapter to the new one.

Not to mention the fact that it will likely be wireless with inductive charging instead of a wire at all. Regardless you can't really get smaller than the new connector anyway so I doubt Apple will switch away to another cable when it comes time it will be totally cable free

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Id rather have something like android installed on all the cars so you could download whatever apps you wanted and people could make apps to link to ios and other smart phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.