Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
My Thunderbolt port on my mid-2011 MacBook Air 13" stopped working after I installed this update, for both Thunderbolt devices and with a display that does DisplayPort without Thunderbolt. Did anyone else experience this?

This is what it now says in System Information for that port:

Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Port Micro Firmware Version: FFFF.FF.FF

Try rebooting without any TB devices connected and then re-connect it, see if that'll help.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

Because a base model imac is only a couple hundred more than an standalone display. So if you already know you need a powerful portable, like a fully loaded MBP, then it makes sense to put the power into that, and use an iMac as a nice external display when you need the screen real estate. ...but with the added bonus that it isn't just a useless item cluttering up your desk the rest of the time. You can use it for a family computer, or a media center...

If TB displays had a little chip with iOS built in so you could at least AirPlay to it from an iOS device, then they wouldn't be such a waste of $ when you're not sitting there plugged into them.

But no.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Because a base model imac is only a couple hundred more than an standalone display. So if you already know you need a powerful portable, like a fully loaded MBP, then it makes sense to put the power into that, and use an iMac as a nice external display when you need the screen real estate. ...but with the added bonus that it isn't just a useless item cluttering up your desk the rest of the time. You can use it for a family computer, or a media center...

If TB displays had a little chip with iOS built in so you could at least AirPlay to it from an iOS device, then they wouldn't be such a waste of $ when you're not sitting there plugged into them.

But no.
just install the app "AirServer" on the mac.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
Just curious but those of you who have Thunderbolt on your MBP's would you rather those would have been extra USB 3.0 ports instead?

My scenario: I have a fully loaded late 2012 27" iMac, running 1 Thunderbolt to HDMI for my 24" monitor, the other Thunderbolt goes to a LaCie SATA hub (which has 2 powered eSATA connection for my 2 RAID-5s), then it goes Thunderbolt out to my 20TB Drobo 5D, from the Drobo it goes Thunderbolt out to my 42" LCD. Granted, I'm a film editor and motion graphic designer and I need the power, speed, and expandability of Thunderbolt to keep me and my company on top.

Does the average person need Thunderbolt? No. USB 3.0 is fast enough for most and overkill for some basic tasks as it is (unless you're copying/moving/creating 200MB+ files, the average person won't notice the difference since they're most likely downloading music and uploading pictures from their camera). Thunderbolt allows so much more connectivity due to the insane bandwidth it can hold (like this little gem all from one Thunderbolt cable).

So, to answer your question about Thunderbolt being replaced by a few more USB 3.0 ports, my answer is no way. I can't function without Thunderbolt anymore...it's the ultimate connection for so much more than "fast transfer speeds"

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I really get the sense that Thunderbolt is another Firewire. Very seldom used, high cost due to the circuitry needed.

Just curious but those of you who have Thunderbolt on your MBP's would you rather those would have been extra USB 3.0 ports instead?

I use my two thunderbolt ports to feed DP monitors. Much more useful than a bunch of kludgy USB ports.... I only have one camera.... and one USB suits it just fine. Its nice having one on the left and one on the right, however.

----------

Does this FW fix happen to also fix the random darkwake issue many of us have (the machine randomly wakes from sleep, not the whole way but enough to run down the battery or wake up external monitors.....

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I really get the sense that Thunderbolt is another Firewire. Very seldom used, high cost due to the circuitry needed.

Are you crazy? Thunderbolt is faster, 2 way bandwidth, you can daisy chain, no latency, have video signal inside. Pro and geek needs thunderbolt, the other joke comes from normal user who didn't understand the potential they have with this connection. FW adapters and Ethernet adapters wouldn't be so efficient on USB3 too.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
bettertouchtool is buggy since the update, it performs random gestures when nothing is touched. anyone else getting this?

Nitewolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013

I have no use for my TB ports. So if I had the chance to choose, so yeah, I would pick more 2 USB 3.0 ports instead of 2 TB ports.

Edit: TB ports aren't here because they are better/faster. It's all about a commercial agreement between Apple and Intel.

Intel: Wassup Apple, what if I give you a discount over my CPUs?
Apple: Nice, yeah, why not?
Intel: All you have to do is spread my new port over your computers.
Apple: Can I make it looks like innovative and make my costumers feeling that they couldn't live without them?
Intel: Sure you can!
Apple: LOL, perfect! Bring it on!

Last edited:

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ

Hell no!

----------

Honestly, just purchased two LaCie 6 GB Drives set up as Raid 1. One of the best investments I ever made!

I am getting the itch for one more, perhaps the 8GB in about a month or so to be set for quite a while!

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Does anyone have an idea on how long updates like this typically take to appear on bootcamp? Thanks

CPPMaster

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
VA/USA
External Monitor Stop Working

After the patch my 15" Retina is not able to use my external monitor anymore.

Retina 15" --> "Mini Display Port to DVI Adaptor" :mad:

My 15" recognize that I have an external monitor, I can even "move" a window from one side to other, but the external monitor (no video signal).

P.S. I am using 10.8.4 , but sounds as far I saw in other places that is not the issue, the patch is messed somehow.

UPDATE: Tested with a friend Thunderbolt cable + iMac (video target mode) and does not work either. Did a SMC reset and did not help. I only hope my two thunderbolts are not fried . Appointment at Genius bar today already scheduled.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Can we finally use the iMac as an external display to a thunderpolt PC now?

This is my BIG question.. i want to build a PC for gaming, but want to use my iMac as the display,

On a side note, how come there is no DVI to Thunderbolt dongles out yet ? so that you can connect ANY video output from a device to a thunderbolt display/iMac (you know, like a PS3, Xbox, or PC)

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
doing a SMC reset solved my problems. if you also have problems, you should give it a try!

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I HOPE this will fix issues for me. I have a very bad impression about Thunderbolt, it doesn't "just work" for me, so to say. :( I still experience quite a few problems when connecting/disconnecting Thunderbolt Display to my 2012 13" MPB. Random freezes, failures to wake up and so on. Sometimes the screen doesn't turn on, sometimes the Mac freezes. The only solutions then is disconnecting the display from power (because Apple is sooo minimalist and there is no power button) AND hard restarting my MBP. Not every time, but once a month definitely. I have ethernet cable and Logitech unifying receiver connected to the display.

JML54

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2013
Beware of the update!

The update fried one of the two Firewire 800 ports on my OWC Mercury Elite hard drive. Apparently this can happen to some chipsets when a firmware update is run and the drive is connected. The other port works fine. But the drive has to go back to OWC to have a new board installed.

Apple should tell users to disconnect all peripherals but power before doing any firmware updates. Even MS does that. I'm really upset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.