Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I tuned into the live cast out of pure curiosity. It's painful to watch the rip off Apple style and Steve's PHRASINGS, WORD FOR WORD! :eek:

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Canada?

Boo! No luck in Canada.
Despite being 100% an Apple man, I was going to sign up for this. A $2 saving per month in perpetuity is worth it, especially as it seems Apple is going to cripple their service (if rumours are to be believed...) Then I would cancel if the iTunes one really is better.
But I get the url "Unsupported country" with the wonderful message "The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories."

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
Spotify already has offline ability. I can download songs from Spotify to listen on my subway ride home on my iPhone....

beat me to it! :D

The only thing that interests me is the $7.99 price tag for early adopters. If that's permanent, and the service is as good as Spotify, then I'd think about making the switch.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
So the big news at Google Uh/Oh is a Spotify copy? There is nothing compelling here to make anyone switch from Spotify.

Does Spotify enable you to upload your existing collection to the cloud for free and then seamlessly combine the two?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Even with Spotify, and Rdio I've tried, I just can't get my head around the $9.99 a month. That price seems too high to me. Especially since my iTunes library is filled with music I already like (obviously). This whole discovering music thing is strange. I never had a problem discovering music before. I guess the only real benefit is listening to music I don't have already.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Pandora and iTunes have me with being able to AirPlay to my home audio system. Unless Spotify or Google....whatever it is...can let me do that, it's a non-starter.

mig0

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm a little confused. I don't see any appreciable difference between free spotify and free pandora. They seem identical to me. Paid spotify though at least allowed me to pick specific songs. I never used paid pandora though. There's also rdio which is a paid service and I haven't used it. Last.fm as well. So what exactly is different between these services (is the difference only when you pay?) and now the new google or proposed Iradio?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Even with Spotify, and Rdio I've tried, I just can't get my head around the $9.99 a month. That price seems too high to me. Especially since my iTunes library is filled with music I already like (obviously). This whole discovering music thing is strange. I never had a problem discovering music before. I guess the only real benefit is listening to music I don't have already.

One compelling google feature is - you can upload your entire library (well 20K tracks) to the cloud + use their streaming service.

I still have unlimited data + am usually near wifi anyway. So I have my entire library + can access any song without affecting local storage.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Often google offers music cheaper. And right now if you sign up - their streaming service is 7.99 a month.

What's cheaper?

Well, not to get too far down a rathole, but I don't pay for Spotify on mobile devices so it costs me $5 a month. iTunes Match is $25/year. Total: $85

Google would cost $95.88. The extra $10.88 per year would just destroy me ;)

It will be a decent deal for people that haven't yet invested in any ecosystem yet. Hard to believe there are that many left, though probably a significant number in developing countries.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
I find it funny that people think spending $120 a year on music is a lot...

Times have certainly changed.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So is this out now or have they announced a launch date? And I assume it will run via apps on mobile devices, are they going to support iOS?

See no point in paying for music when things like Pandora are free.

Pandora doesn't allow selecting songs on demand (nor does the free version of Spotify), plus this doesn't have ads. Sure, some people will be fine with the free versions, but that doesn't make the paid ones pointless.

There is nothing compelling here to make anyone switch from Spotify.

True, but there are plenty of people who haven't started using a service like this yet, so they might as well try and capture some of those customers. And the inclusion of your own files in the cloud is nice.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does Spotify enable you to upload your existing collection to the cloud for free and then seamlessly combine the two?
Yeah I did that with my iTunes library but Spotify didn't have every song, for example The Beatles and Def Leppard. Does Google's service have those artists?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Don't care much for Google apps, such as Google Play Web Content Browser (formerly Chrome) and never really "got" streaming services like the Google Play Music All Access.

Should just call it Google Pay Music All Access. Yeah there's a free ad-supported broadcast service of music/spoken content aka radio. Of course we already have radio, it's called radio.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
I find it funny that people think spending $120 a year on music is a lot...

Times have certainly changed.

It's cuz there are free alternatives. If you had no choice but to pay, then this would be great. Fortunately, you have the choice.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
A recommendation engine will guide users towards new music they may have already discovered.

Surely a misquote? Wouldn't it be better to be guided towards new music you may not have already discovered?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
At $8 a month this really is a great deal, I just need it on iOS and also would prefer native desktop apps (like Spotify).

If they ever get around to releasing it in the UK, I'd for sure trail it to see whether I'd want to switchover from Spotify.

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I must be too old, I don't get the need for this service for a lot of people. I have my old CD's ripped and now available to me via iTunes Match, and using Match I was able to upgrade that low bit rate music that I "acquired" back in he day too. I have my iTunes purchases available via Itunes in the Cloud, as well. I don't spend a $100 a year on new music, in fact a quick look at my purchase history shows that in the last calendar year, I've bought 2 complete albums and 7 songs. I can't see paying a hundie +, to listen to new music. I can see that maybe younger people than I would find this convenient, but as someone who is in his 40's I don't get it. I dread I may have just become that "Get off my lawn you young whippersnappers" guy...aka my dad...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.