Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
That's old world thinking.

I used to buy all my Macs online. I wanted them customized and, come on, they're heavy. Why lug it to my car by myself?

But Apple's profits are shifting to iOS. I've since bought 7 iPhones, 3 iPads, and an iPod Touch in an Apple store. Why would I wait to have it shipped? It's there, just buy it!

So while the Macs I bought always used to cost more than what I spend on iPads, my personal "what I spend in the store" number has skyrocketed.

What they should do is to offer the same custom (BTO) options for both retail store pick-up/purchase versus online purchase/shipment. That essentially means that there is little cost-convenience advantage to using one versus the other. But maybe I'm just dreaming.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
That's because of the overpriced Apple accessories.

You don't know anything about economics. This data suggests that Apple stuff is correctly priced or even underpriced.

Discounts and deals are signals that a seller recognizes his prices are too high. When was the last time you saw a sale at the Apple Store?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If Apple decided to put an Apple store in my state capital I would always buy from the physical Apple store. Since Apple refuse to do this, I am forced to use the online store or an official reseller. The do have a good store within a store in Myer here though. I guess that's the best we can get.

Are Apple store within a store's run by Apple or by the store it's in?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy

At least the stores in Toronto and Newmarket/Ontario seemd to be "normal people" infested to me - and that to a very high degree, it's crazy how busy they are. And that's the thing I definitely do not like about them, the way the stores set up their courses right in the center or so close to the genius bar that it's a constant shoving and moving all around, I don't think I'd be able to listen or focus for a minute with all the buzz going on around me.

Other than that I sometimes order, sometimes go to the store, just depends on what I want. I've definitely given up going to places like best buy or future shop for any apple related things.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Perhaps I don't get it, but I'd rather get my Apple products from the online store than to set foot in these hipster infested stores... #mysanthropy

Thus Apple increases it revenue by selling products to both types of customer, both hipsters and hermits.

I do whatever's most convenient... if I'm driving by an Apple store, I pick stuff up there, and save having to dump yet another shipping boxes. If not, wait a couple extra days for the fedex truck and recycle more cardboard.

----------

How does apple manage to sell overpriced stuff?
By pricing their product at or below what millions of customers are actually willing to pay, rather than keep the money in their pocket.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Haters believe that.

Oh ok yeah sorry never know around here who believes what. But like I said in another thread, the only way you can believe Apple's products are overpriced is if you truly believe they brainwash their customers. And if you believe that..well...

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I like going into the Apple Store for any computer I'm not going to customize. You get immediate satisfaction and a good sales experience. For some devices, like laptops, I like to put my hands on one first, get a feel for it, and then I'll order online to customize. Anything that I'll need to wait in line for hours to get, I'll order online, or wait until they have them in stock weeks or months later if I'm not sure I want one yet.

Overall, I'd say I've spent very little money in Apple Stores, over the years. A few accessories, one miniMac, one iPhone, that's really about it. I still visit Apple Stores plenty of times, and those experiences have translated into online sales. The stores are really fantastic, low-pressure, fun places. It doesn't surprise me that they sell a lot of product, especially to customers new to Apple.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
It is just like college. Some people exclaim how great living on campus is because of the "experience". Others eschew it and live without it.

To each their own, but judging by the sales numbers, a lot of people like going to the stores.

Random Unrelated messaged: The experience of on-campus life is something everyone should experience (or I guess they could live at home, experience nothing new, to each their own).

As far as Apple store purchases go, I bought all my iPhones (waited in line on day 1 in 06) from the AT&T or Best Buy store (because customer lines are shorter). My iPad was also from Best Buy. My rMBP was a refurb from Apple.com (because I'm cheap), and only my Apple TV was from the Apple Store. Otherwise I only make it to a store to have the genius bar service a product. I do love the stores, they're just so busy. Maybe if Apple built more (oh wait, I guess they are :p).

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Who are the Apple competitors that this survey cites?

Retail stores.

It's not very surprising Apple has a high $ sale per square foot...when 90% that Apple sells is $299 and higher...probably the average Apple purchase is $800 or more.

Because Tiffany's is known for their cheap stuff? Double the second place competitor isn't "not very surprising."

The only Apple product under $150 is the iPod nano for $80. The only other stuff under $150 is 3rd party accessories.

And the iPod shuffle. And the Apple TV. And iTunes gift cards. And all the Apple accessories.

Not to mention that Apple has pretty popular brand these days.

That's the point.

I really don't see the point of this survey.

Maybe because you don't even realize that it's not a survey.

It's basically stating the obvious.

Yeah, I'm sure that it's obvious to everyone that Apple make $57.60 per visitor to their retail stores. I mean, who wouldn't guess that? :rolleyes:

aslote

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Still no Apple Store in downtown DC!

Can you believe it? Still no Apple Store in the heart of the nation's capital. Nearest store is a tiny one on a side street in Georgetown, which is inaccessible by public transportation. There are plenty of huge, empty spaces recently vacated by the likes of Barnes and Noble, and several beautiful banks that are no longer in use. Come on Apple!

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Danger! Does not compute!

Data not consistent with Wall Street narrative!

Possible sources of error:
1) Wall Street invents narrative on selective interpretation of data mixed with fantasy to drive price in desired direction.
2) Actual data in this story must be false.

The impeccable integrity of Wall Street operators under the watchful eye of the Federal Government regulators makes option 1) impossible, so 2) is the only viable option.

Your error seems to be an assumption that the stock price is based largely or exclusively upon the sales per square foot in the retail stores.

----------

If Apple products were overpriced, sales wouldn't be high, they would be low.

Is that an explanation of the Mac's market share?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.