Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I just have wireless, in fact i hate any kind of wireless connection and waves, anything i cant see or touch gives me the creeps! I was wondering if there could be some device simpler than a modem/router to do the job, with at least less wireless range just to be safer!

I don't see a troll. I see a thoughtful person that's not willing to get on the Wi-Fi (I pronounce it "wee-fee") bandwagon.

I agree with you, wireless is quite possibly the worse type of connectivity. There are physical limitations with this type of technology (waves do not travel as far nor fast). And no, unfortunately you cannot bend the laws of physics with "technology". Not to mention security issues (anything that follows a deterministic algorithm can in fact be be reversed engineered if you are able to sniff to the signal).

Anyhow, at some point you just have to enjoy it. Unless you are a very important person. Yes, it is inferior to Ethernet with a fiber optic backbone and a strong firewall. But it sure is convenient. :)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I don't see a troll. I see a thoughtful person that's not willing to get on the Wi-Fi (I pronounce it "wee-fee") bandwagon.

I agree with you, wireless is quite possibly the worse type of connectivity. There are physical limitations with this type of technology (waves do not travel as far nor fast). And no, unfortunately you cannot bend the laws of physics with "technology". Not to mention security issues (anything that follows a deterministic algorithm can in fact be be reversed engineered if you are able to sniff to the signal).

Anyhow, at some point you just have to enjoy it. Unless you are a very important person. Yes, it is inferior to Ethernet with a fiber optic backbone and a strong firewall. But it sure is convenient. :)

And yet LTE and in the future, LTE-Advanced are at least 10X the speed of the average broadband connection. Oh and also 802.11ac is 3X faster than 802.11n.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is wireless internet connection the only way to go with iPad? Or is there someway to connect the Ethernet cable to it? Why? Don't ask why :D

Nope, no Ethernet. You need something on it that can't be done via a wireless connection you'll have to download it on a computer and sync it

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves

"Like all other electromagnetic waves, they travel at the speed of light."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves#Speed.2C_wavelength_and_frequency

"Radio waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. If radio waves strike an electrically conductive object of any size, they are slowed according to that object's permeability and permittivity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light#In_a_medium

"Denser media, such as water, glass, and diamond, have refractive indexes of around 1.3, 1.5 and 2.4, respectively, for visible light."

Good read. Turns out, in terms of light waves, glass is the fastest practical material known to man. Radio waves simply cannot travel this fast as the medium varies.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Uhhh, since when? Just looked at it on my MBP, and WPA2 is my only option for security. Which version of OS X are you using?

Last time I had to use "ad-hoc" wireless mode (aka internet sharing) on my MacBook Pro (late 2011) it only offered WEP encryption with OSX 10.6.8 as did all OSX versions before. I don't have OSX 10.8, so if you say WPA2 is now available for "ad-hoc" wifi... finally. :cool:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Can waves travel faster than the speed of light? Fiber optic is exactly that, light signals traveling through glass.

The information comes and goes that quickly, but there's still a bandwidth issue to be solved. Fiber doesn't have infinite bandwidth. Additionally, it's almost never finer direct to your computer, it converts to copper first.

Messerschmitter

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
I kind of agree with the troll accusation.
Makes a very odd and baseless claim on a thread, gets a large reaction and stops responding.

And besides, I'd be more worried about the fluoride in the water and the aluminum oxide in the clouds :rolleyes:

Maybe you should check the facts before you call people names and talk about odd and baseless claims. Here:

http://www.bioinitiative.org/conclusions/

1200 scientific studies documenting real biological effects from low-intensity electromagnetic radiation in the radio spectrum.

There appears to be a direct correlation between the likelihood for bullying behavior and the degree of knowledge. To even hear some guy use the relative safety of sunlight exposure as an argument for the "safety" of WiFi really shows the level of ignorance.

Alternative ways of accessing the internet on iPads are really needed. Go ahead and measure the strength of the radiation from an iPad in use and you will see that there is a problem, especially for children.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.