Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Not sure why this matters..

BlackBerry's are actually far more common than iphones in other markets. I don't think this is realy aimed at US markets. In Panama and other latin american countries everybody has a blackberry because of this ability to chat for free because of the high costs of SMS's and iPhones are really expensive for most people.

What I don't understand is what BB hopes to gain from this. It is a free service that allows people to chat with other BB users without buying a blackberry. This will only hurt their sales.

Apple was stupid not to allow integration with BB messenger a long time ago.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
because it is 10x more reliable than iMessage, it actually works

Except when their message switch blew up, then it didn't for days and days. After a shaky start iMessage seems ok these days. I don't understand the logic of this though, BB has nothing to gain as there are already several established cross platform messaging systems already.

cg399

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
Isn't this just going to encourage Blackberry's last few users to jump ship to iOS/Android.

One of the reasons that the few people I know that have stuck with Blackberry is for BBM; now they can keep it and switch.

Are enough non-BB customers going to download the app to encourage others to buy a BB? I think not. There are just too many other cross platform competitors.

Just seems like a crazy business decision to me.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Good news for consumers. I don't know anyone personally who uses bbm but its good for those that do.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'm still waiting for messaging system that includes sending messages on all devices (especially PC/Mac's) and that has sms integration as a back up if the user isn't available on the chat service.

Unfortunately nothing does this though Hangouts is supposedly working on this.

fingers crossed.

Right now the best option is still imessage since it at least has sms integration on the iphone.

facebook message makes sense for those who are using it on the iphone as well. Especially for group chats. What's app comes in 3rd since a lot of people have it on there smartphones.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Half the time I send an iMessage, it ends up being sent as a text. It's hardly reliable.

Half, really? The only time it's ever happened to me is when I'm on the lake with poor signal. That's only because the you can still access the cell SMS protocol when you don't have reliable web access needed for imessage. The fact that it so easily falls back to SMS is a good thing.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Half, really? The only time it's ever happened to me is when I'm on the lake with poor signal. That's only because the you can still access the cell SMS protocol when you don't have reliable web access needed for imessage. The fact that it so easily falls back to SMS is a good thing.

Yeah, I'd say in the last couple of months, half of them get sent as texts. Before that, it was pretty solid.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Yeah, I'd say in the last couple of months, half of them get sent as texts. Before that, it was pretty solid.

Still I doubt that it's the messaging service but something with your web access/screwed up config on your phone. Restore.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Except when their message switch blew up, then it didn't for days and days. After a shaky start iMessage seems ok these days. I don't understand the logic of this though, BB has nothing to gain as there are already several established cross platform messaging systems already.

iMessage outages are fairly frequent, and I'm not going to go after the weird 'activation' process and how sometimes it sends messages either a few hours late or tells the user that they have been delivered in the time the other user did not even get a text.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Can anybody tell me why this is a good business decision?

Giving away one of their key features for free and giving people a big reason to not use BB10 and buy their phones

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why would anyone want this? Better, why would most people want this? I don't bother to message anyone with a BB these days and if I do, we text.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Giving away one of their key features for free and giving people a big reason to not use BB10 and buy their phones

Retain current Blackberry users who may have considered bolting for another platform because their friends have moved on and they can no longer "easily" communicate with them as they did before with BBM. I think it's more about retention at this point than getting people to switch to Blackberry.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

Often times hardware companies attempt to save themselves by converting to services companies, IBM being an example of one that has worked.

I agree that this signals the hard times that BB hardware has fallen upon and will likely not recover from.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
BBM is a highly reliable, highly secure, fully featured messaging system. I agree that they should have done this sooner but the fact remains we will soon have access to another excellent option for messaging.

I'll be downloading it.

Agree with everything you say except perhaps the sooner remark. Had BB brought this out years ago they would have devalued their physical product at a time that would have been most unfortunate. There was no winning move.

----------

They didn't have a choice if they wanted BBM to retain relevance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.