Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertkarlsen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Halmstad, Sweden
When my parents got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: smacrumon

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think it is a bit early to make such a statement. I do like iOS 7. If I showed my parents (both SG3 users) iOS 7, it wouldn't mean anything to them, as they have both drunk the anti-Apple juice the Sister in Law gave them.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
When my parent got an iPhone each i thought they would complain about the phone is to complicated, how they dont understand itunes etc...but the only thing they said was: "- this phone looks boring and old. Only icons everywhere and they are ugly." Then now, i showed them iOS7. They got blown away.

What i'm trying to say is, that Apple , with iOS7, save themselves from being "the-same-old-boring".

They are giving iPhones new life, a more beautiful life, and it was about time they did it...

dont you agree?

When they said "only icons everywhere" what did you show them? There are still icons everywhere?:confused:

I'm not complaining I love iOS, it just that your post doesn't make sense.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
iOS 7 doesn't save anything. First, it's not an OS that anyone can use yet and second, Apple didn't need saving. It is great that your parents like it but two people feeling like it is better than what it once was does not mean anything was failing in the first place.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
iOS 7, in itself, shows that Apple is headed where most probably want it to head. Many of those features are Android/jailbreak stuff. Just cuz its done in Android, doesnt mean the idea sucks. Android sucks because it is usually poorly matched to the hardware running it.

For me, iOS needs to begin with widget-y ideas. Not a full blown widget, but something similar such as the weather app icon showing the current temp and some color code for rain...The icon could show a sun for sunny, cloud for cloudy, cloud with rain for rain. ect. They made the clock app live...

How about a scrolling news feed wallpaper that utilizes the new parallax/panorama tech? (Tilt to the left to see your news feeds...tilt right to see something else)

Im sure Apple could make these ideas classy, fluid, and functional.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
How bizarre.

Apple does not need saving, nor will iOS7 mean anything of significance till the Pro-Apple press fawn over it repeatedly.

It's all just Apples version of things.

dewdst

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
it's still the same layout, so in conclusion: placebo effect.

:p

so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

so true...nothing is different command center added which was needed years ago, and new colors lolz

however i do like, may need to downgrade because i cant handle the bugs right now

It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
It is new because something like 80% of iPhone users don't jailbreak. So they will be pleased and delighted with the command centre. I think the forums become a bit of an echo chamber in that sense, because everyone here is the type to jailbreak or know what Android has to offer, but a lot of iPhone users aren't like that.

Good point. While I am aware of what "jailbreak" is, I have never had a desire to implement such. And as such, iOS 7 looks and feels new to me.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Everything is different except the icon layout :confused:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I noticed some "zephyr" like actions, but I'm really going to miss swipe from bottom to get out of apps when I go to iOS 7.

I find the new way of closing apps is easier (for me) in iOS 7.

----------

Everything is different except the icon layout :confused:

Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Speaking of which.... I wonder why the main screen is keeping the bottom right empty of icons? Even after adding apps, those two spots have stayed empty.

New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
New apps get installed to your second screen (or 3rd, or 4th, etc. if the 2nd is full). Has been this way for a while now.

I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.

----------

I agree and I think it saved apple's iPhone. I love apple and I am really tired of iOS 6. If it remained I would have switched to WP8.

Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out. :p

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I know that. You missed my point. The main screen is uneven, so far as number of rows that are filled by icons. The bottom right on the screen is missing two icons, as far as I can tell. It looks odd to me.

I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

----------

Blasphemer! Mods might need to check this member out. :p

I think if you check iOS 6 its the same. (Apple site show 3 missing icons on iOS 6)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I don't understand your point, sorry. Or how it's different in iOS 7. The iOS 6 installs with 3 blanks, iOS 7 with 2 blanks.

My memory was wrong on the iOS 6 screen with my 4s. I thought all had been filled. Amazing what one forgets after messin' around with a new iOS.

Thanks to you and Monkey for the correction. Still odd to me. Doesn't look right, in my opinion.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I may be in the minority, but I like the direction Apple is headed with iOS 7. I think some of the icons are blah. But, what is more important to me, is the strength, stability, and usability of the OS. I like what I see thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.