Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
The iPhone 5 has a different aspect ratio from the 4 series, as well as much faster processor inside. It has a new lightning connector, it changed the position of the earphone jack, and it is made of significantly different materials. You may not be able to see the difference, but that is lack of perception on your part. If you bought a case for the iPhone 4, thinking it would work for the "not redesigned" iPhone 5, you would probably think that the case maker got it wrong.

When you use the word "merely" it implies you are going to list all the differences. Intentionally limiting it to two out of many makes you an unreliable person.

Unreliable person? Hey man I didn't write the bible. Heck I am not even a researcher, politician or journalist. I am a customer. I have an opinion, I don't need to write a list full of yes or no to you.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 5s Marketing Campaign

New Apple Campaign:

Introducing the iPhone 5s....."Its so last year"...

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Does Apple systematically have a new ground breaking idea for iPhones every two years? Where?

It seems like you are assuming what I think instead of what I really posted. I don't think they have a ground-breaking idea for iPhones every two years, or every year. I agree they are all evolutionary. The release schedule has very little to do with whether or not they have anything important to bring to the market. They release a phone every year no matter what. And every other year, this new phone has a different form factor. The calendar is determining when the products are released, not innovation. Maybe this wasn't exactly what Mr Fusion's intended meaning, but that's how I read it. I would be fine with some releases coming out later than every year, or sooner than that, depending on when it's actually ready, not just when they think they need to bring something to market for sales reasons.

Every year Apple pumps out a new phone and its always an evolutionary step. Always.

Exactly — every year they "pump" out a phone, which is a good way to put it. They add a thing or two here, tweak a thing or two there. Some changes are pretty significant, others less so. But the overarching goal does not seem to be to work and get the best phone they can get out there, or to think outside the box and come out with something groundbreaking or revolutionary. Their modus operandi seems to be, hey, look at the calendar — it's time to put out a phone. This is what we've got so far, minus a few things we'll hold back to make sure we have something to put in the next phone. We'll talk about how great it is, and people will buy it.

If you go back to the OS 8, 9, OS X 10.0 days you'll find that updates and advancement were quite slow and buggy, especially with 10.0 to 10.2. Apple didn't push out update because it busy innovating, it wasn't pushing out updates because it wasn't innovating. It was stymied.

This is switching over to software, but I would agree they weren't really innovating for a while, or at least constructively so, roughly during the period when Steve Jobs wasn't there. I'm not a programmer, but I think some people would argue with you about whether or not the problems with the early days of OS X was a lack of innovation. From what I've read and from using the OS myself, I think it may have been the opposite — they had changed so much in so little time that it took a while for the OS to mature and for everyone (including themselves) to catch up.

I don't think they released Jaguar just because they looked at a calendar and decided it was time to release another OS. They released it because it actually had significant changes to it. Over two years passed between Tiger and Leopard, and nearly two between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Now we get an OS every year (both OS X and iOS) no matter whether it's ready or not. I love ML, but it's not as solid as Snow Leopard and understand the die-hards sticking with it.

My point at least is that the philosophy seems to have shifted from innovation-based to calendar-based.

The truth is the "Think Different" ad was targeted not to customers, but Apple engineers, as a motivation tool to get them back on track at a time when employees were demoralized and there was a lot of defections.

So I fail to see how the points in my original post prove OP's point.

I would argue that Apple is not thinking different right now — they are thinking about calendars for the most part — presumably due to sales. Yes, that has to play some role since they're a business, but it seems like a huge shift from before. WWDC 2013 showed some promising signs of this changing and trying to shake things up a bit again: iOS 7, Mac Pro. These changes aren't all perfect, but that's the risk of innovating — sometimes you win (e.g. the original iMac), sometimes you don't (e.g. the Cube). They may being trying to push the envelope again now, which would be welcome instead of just releasing things on a set schedule for the sake of selling something new.

Last edited:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Please be overbearing with me, but I didn't get what he meant: Please tell me.

When the iPhone 5 was about to come out, a lot of people claimed that Apple would call it the iPhone 6 because it was the sixth iPhone produced (original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 6?). The guy I quoted is hoping that those people won't return and claim that the iPhone 5S will actually be called the iPhone 7 since it is the seventh iPhone released.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Doubling down on secrecy huh? Notice how the Mac Pro is the only Apple hardware that was a complete surprise, and it's also the only hardware being manufactured in the USA? Not a coincidence. The Chinese factories' low-wage employees have no loyalty to the companies whose products they assemble, and copyright is not really respected culturally in China anyway.

Building products in China is bad for Apple's competitive advantage, which is innovating and reaping the rewards of innovation before competitors can copy them.

I hope the Mac Pro represents Apple dipping their toes in the water, and that we will see more products return to USA manufacturing.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Yawn. If that's the best Apple can do to compete with the S4 then everyone, sell your shares quick!!!!!

----------

??? How about you stop being an Apple sheep and actually look at another brand that will deliver an impressive spec now ... The S4 and HTC One, even a windows phone; with lazy designs like this (or lack of design!), Apple don't deserve your money!!!!

Since the S4 doesn't appear to be even competing with the 5, I'm sure the 5s has nothing to worry about.

Of course the S4 is a masterpiece of redesign: it's identical to the S3 in appearance. At least it has a bunch of useless features you can disable day one like everyone else is.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
It retains one main cosmetic feature of current iPhone 5: scratches!

In 4-5 years they will be so thin that will not be a problem anymore... :p

Then we move to the nasty idea of the underskin phone from the new Total Recall!

More interested in the idea of the low cost iPhone at this point. Plastic, curves, comfortable to hold for the first time since the 3GS, wow that would really be something. And maybe they could "innovate their ass" into a bigger screen? Oh wait, innovation only means smaller and thinner now :(.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
:confused::confused:
I really don't think apple would be dumb enough just to release this phone because people with 5's (including me) will not upgrade. There's tons of money to be made from people who upgrade every year. However, 5 to 5S won't be significant enough even for us iSheep to upgrade.

3G to 3GS was probably one of the best iPhone upgrades
4 to 4S got gave us Siri, HSPA+ and reduced antennagate
5 to 5S???.... 30 more mins of battery?

No thanks, Apple. I'm still holding out for a second model alongside this one with a larger screen.

And if not, I'm gonna get an android for a year and then come back for the 6.

You don't think they will release the 5s because people bought a 5 last year??:confused: Please..

How was the 3G to 3GS the best iPhone upgrade?? It was updated internals with no new features other than being faster... How would this be any different than the 5 to 5S?

Obviously the best iPhone upgrade was from the 3GS to the 4. I was blown away.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It is a redesign in the simpliest form of the word but not when you apply the term in business. Could Ford release a new car by just changing the color and give it some new headlights and call it a redesign? The iPhone 4 was a redesign. The HTC One was a redesign. HTC Legend was a redesign. The Imac G3 was a redesign.

Competing companies have released phones that have good design. When you have inspiration you innovate. The inspiration is here but not the innovation. iPhone 4 was beautiful but a atrocity to hold.

Um, I don't know if you hit your head recently or what, but the iPhone 5 looks nothing like the 4. I think you're forgetting that its almost an inch taller and its got a bigger 4" screen, which is a pretty huge design change. And it's got LTE/4G capabilities. I think that's more than "changing the color and giving it some new headlights." What changes are you expecting realistically?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's going to take more than a new camera and better GPU to make me get an iPhone 5S.

I'm more excited about iOS 7.

I've got an upgrade in August which is perfect timing for a reveal and release.

I might instead dabble in Windows Phone or android till iPhone 6.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
It's going to take more than a new camera and better GPU to make me get an iPhone 5S.

I'm more excited about iOS 7.

I've got an upgrade in August which is perfect timing for a reveal and release.

I agree..software is where it's at. Looking more forward to ios7 than the 5s

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Who gives a crap what Wall Street does or doesn't love. Certainly not Apple.
Really? You must be living under a rock, they wouldn't be public if they didn't care. We don't care, but apple certainly cares, how much? who the hell knows

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Unreliable person? Hey man I didn't write the bible. Heck I am not even a researcher, politician or journalist. I am a customer. I have an opinion, I don't need to write a list full of yes or no to you.

You're entitled to your own opinions. Not your own facts. At a glance, I can name ten significant external design differences between the iPhone 4/4S and the iPhone 5. There are also significant changes inside the phone.

To say that there are merely two differences is to misrepresent the facts.

----------

:confused::confused:

You don't think they will release the 5s because people bought a 5 last year??:confused: Please..

How was the 3G to 3GS the best iPhone upgrade?? It was updated internals with no new features other than being faster... How would this be any different than the 5 to 5S?

Obviously the best iPhone upgrade was from the 3GS to the 4. I was blown away.
The 3GS had a compass. The 3G did not. I never found the compass app useful, but the ability to orient the map was nice.

Even so, I held onto my 3G until the iPhone 4 was released.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
rofl... pill-form flash light....

this is clearly a blurred photo! see the round shape at the bottom of the camera hole.

Exactly, everyone keeps saying it's dual flash or pill-form flash, but it's just "motion blur" from the crappy picture. If they have their hands on an iPhone 5S, you would think they would have a better camera to take the photos of it. :rolleyes:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Apple aren't the only phone manufacturer out there.

Great.

----------

I'm in the same boat. The 5S will be my next phone because I currently have an ancient iPhone 4. I'm looking into the possibility in upgrading every year now too. I'm sick of being behind with iPhone because it really shows and feels outdated.

It really does! I could cope with it more if my lock screen, and home button worked as well as not having a crack in the middle of my camera lens!

----------

Now is actually a good time to get an iPhone 5 - I'm in the same situation, but my carrier now has the 5 for nothing on a good cheap contract, so I've grabbed one. When the 5S comes out, it'll be much more expensive than my current iPhone 4.

Hmmm I get what you're saying but over here (UK) the iPhone 5 would be the same price for me on a 2 year contract so why not wait until I can see what the 5S is like and then get that on contract for the same price or 5 for cheaper

----------

Mine works fine. Maybe you should take it into an Apple store if it isn't functioning properly.

Its warranty has expired.

----------

Yawn. If that's the best Apple can do to compete with the S4 then everyone, sell your shares quick!!!!!

----------

??? How about you stop being an Apple sheep and actually look at another brand that will deliver an impressive spec now ... The S4 and HTC One, even a windows phone; with lazy designs like this (or lack of design!), Apple don't deserve your money!!!!

Well thanks for that. But I've owned and returned a windows phone. I'm not a fan of Android.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Exactly, everyone keeps saying it's dual flash or pill-form flash, but it's just "motion blur" from the crappy picture. If they have their hands on an iPhone 5S, you would think they would have a better camera to take the photos of it. :rolleyes:

I can see that, but how can the supposedly round flash move more than the camera hole? Still looks like pill-shaped even with the slight motion blur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.